'round the world cache

terratin

Hello,

we'll be moving around quiet a bit over the next few years, planned is another country every few months. Two more moves are planned, a third is quiet possible. We'd love to hide a geocache ourselves but will get into trouble with maintenance once we leave. Is it possible, and has it been done before to hide a cache nearby, add a date to the infopage until it will be available, then take it along and hide it at the new location without deleting the logs? Could imagine it as a kind of event cache with a little party or something similar just before the cache moves on.

Question is what to do with bugs or coins within that cache that don't want to travel to the other side of the world. A microcache would probably be the better solution.

Any thoughts on that?

Edited by terratin

I don't think you would be able to do this. Temporary caches are not allowed, a time frame of two months at a site would not pass the review process.

Second is the moving part. Moving caches use to be allowed but are not any longer. I don't think that the fact that you are the one moving the cache would change anything.

The best bet is to check with your reviewer. My guess would be that this won't be possible.

You can hide a cache at your current location, assuming that you'll be in the area 3 months or so. Then archive the cache listing when you move, take the cache and hide again in your new location. It will have to be a new listing in the new location. Or leave the cache in place, if you can find someone in the area to adopt it from you when you move.

The time period of three months is in the listing guidelines, here

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#perm

You can read adopt a cache over to another player here

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

I don't think you would be able to do this. Temporary caches are not allowed, a time frame of two months at a site would not pass the review process.

Second is the moving part. Moving caches use to be allowed but are not any longer. I don't think that the fact that you are the one moving the cache would change anything.

The best bet is to check with your reviewer. My guess would be that this won't be possible.

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid of something like that. The first move is in 4.5 months, the next two after 8 months each, then possibly every 3-4 years. Means we'll probably have to wait at least 2 more years until we can hide a cache ourselves :rolleyes:

Probably the best option would be to create 'new' caches at each new location, after archiving the older one.

In no case would you need to delete any logs!!

You could describe your plans on the original cache page, and as you move, then add links to all the previous 'lives' of the current cache on the current cache page.

This would require no special consideration (other than proximity to existing caches) from the reviewers or TPTB. It would provide for cachers who 'Found you' at one location, to 'find you' again at the newer one. And it would preserve the history on the archived (but linked and findable) pages.

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid of something like that. The first move is in 4.5 months, the next two after 8 months each, then possibly every 3-4 years. Means we'll probably have to wait at least 2 more years until we can hide a cache ourselves :rolleyes:

There is no reason you can't hide caches. When you move you can archive them and pick them up, or you can adopt them out to locals. The site doesn't allow moving caches or temporary caches (temporary is defined as a cache meant to be there for 3 months or fewer), but a cache that is out there for 4.5 months or 8 months would be within the guidelines.

I believe four months is an acceptable amount of time for placing a cache. (Check with your reviewer. They can tell you for sure.) Then when you leave archive the cache and just pick the container up and hide it at the next location. Maybe you could call it "'Round The World Cache" followed by the name of the new country is in. Make a new cachepage and just change the name with each move. For example "Round The World Cache/Mexico", "Round The World Cache/USA", etc.. You just need to find out the regulations for short term or temporary caches from your reviewer.

Most definitely remove any TBs that don't want to leave the country.

An event before each move would be fun. You could offer to take TBs for people wanting to send TBs to another country and put them in the cache once you get it establshed. Also you could keep a notebook with the logs, history and pictures of the cache at each location to have at the event.

Edited by Luckless

I believe four months is an acceptable amount of time for placing a cache. (Check with your reviewer. They can tell you for sure.) Then when you leave archive the cache and just pick the container up and hide it at the next location. Maybe you could call it "'Round The World Cache" followed by the name of the new country is in. Make a new cachepage and just change the name with each move. For example "Round The World Cache/Mexico", "Round The World Cache/USA", etc..

That might be a good idea. Perhaps you can put a fresh logbook inside it for each cache, but leave the other ones inside too so others can page through the finds in other locations.

And as Azcachmeister suggested, add a link to the old caches on your cache page so people can see where it has been.

This has the potential for being a way kewl "series", so to speak. :rolleyes:

Were I granted the opportunity for world travel, on such a schedule, I would definitely create a hide reflecting my travels.

I would start with an ammo can, and in each country it passes through, I would affix one of those oval decals to it.

I would come up with a catchy name, then hyphenate it with the current country where it has taken residency.

Something to the effect of, "Travelin' Cache - Turkey", "Travelin' Cache - Italy", etc. Each new country would get a shiny new GC number.

The cache page would reflect all the past "Travelin' Cache" locations, along with links to each cache page, to maintain the history.

Have fun!

This has the potential for being a way kewl "series", so to speak. :lol:

Were I granted the opportunity for world travel, on such a schedule, I would definitely create a hide reflecting my travels.

I would start with an ammo can, and in each country it passes through, I would affix one of those oval decals to it.

I would come up with a catchy name, then hyphenate it with the current country where it has taken residency.

Something to the effect of, "Travelin' Cache - Turkey", "Travelin' Cache - Italy", etc. Each new country would get a shiny new GC number.

The cache page would reflect all the past "Travelin' Cache" locations, along with links to each cache page, to maintain the history.

Have fun!

Oooh, I really like that! Though I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bring an ammo box into the Middle East, or out of it :rolleyes::lol: Maybe there are still old-fashioned car or suitcase stickers around, you know, those you find on the cars of 'the elder' mostly.

Almost bought one of those tiny magnetic fakescrews yesterday as they are so easy to hide in cities, but I guess we'll have to look a bit more into this and indeed opt for a larger box.

BTW, how do you get in contact with a reviewer? I do have an idea for a hide but want to be sure it's fine/not to close to others/etc before I actually buy a container.

Oh, and world travel sounds so pompous. It's rather work for me, another office every few months, and after I learnt everything there is to learn *cough cough* we'll settle down a wee bit longer. Until it gets boring again I suppose. :lol: