New Phone - Getting WAP Site Error

ecanderson

I recently picked up a new phone, and it behaves very badly on the WAP site. After providing my login data, and having to tell the phone that it is OK to be redirected to another site, I get the following message along with a great deal of source code text to which the browser evidently took exception.

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster. The problem relates to an "invalid viewstate".

At this point, I am now unable to retrieve information in the field!

Has anyone else encountered this?

The browser claims to be something called Obigo

wap.geocaching.com was down/ not working right for a while but is now up and running fine again.

Up and running, maybe? but fine, definitely not. Tested today (2009-03-16) @04:30 UTC.

Couldn't drop a coin into my cache.

Server Error in '/' Application.
The queue does not exist or you do not have sufficient permissions to perform the operation.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Messaging.MessageQueueException: The queue does not exist or you do not have sufficient permissions to perform the operation.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

And the 'viewstate error' has been present for months with my phone (after login, when redirected to another server). Luckily there is a workaround for this and you'll see that you managed to login if you go to the site again by a bookmark for example. But for looking up (and logging) trackables i haven't found any workarounds.

Edited by lq

And the 'viewstate error' has been present for months with my phone (after login, when redirected to another server). Luckily there is a workaround for this and you'll see that you managed to login if you go to the site again by a bookmark for example. But for looking up (and logging) trackables i haven't found any workarounds.

I did go back and try to log in again, and you are correct. This "viewstate" business is evidently only going to appear the first time through.

Which leaves me to repeat an OLD question ...

WHY, unlike other sites, does wap.geocaching.com not manage cookies such that one can avoid logging in every time on a cell phone? Sites like yahoo.com and others seem to be able to manage this. Having to type in a login name and password to retrieve log data after 30 minutes of inactivity is a real nuisance.

I believe that if it were not for that requirement, I'd not be seeing the viewstate error to begin with since it's the transfer from the login server to the database that seems to cause this error.

Edited by ecanderson