UK Regional flags / coat of arms.

Hi, I am a geocacher from South Africa, and like discovering TBs and coins.

At the moment, I am updating my stats page, with *flags* of all the countries, from which we have discovered travel bugs and coins. If the country, does have states / provinces / regions, I am adding these in to my stats page as well.

I keep track of all of this in Calc (OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet), and use the flags as created on GSAK.net.

I have a problem understanding how the UK works. I don't understand how the provinces / regions work, and google is not assisting my either. I am hoping that a UK cacher can assist me in understanding how this works, and hopefully describe the flags (Gif Files) with the proper region description.

A coin which I have discovered (TB2ACY9) comes from South Wales.

I have been able to figure out that all flags for the UK are stored here:

http://gsak.net/stats/flags/United%20Kingdom/

At this point I am assuming that SW.Gif is the flag for South Wales, but would like to make sure. Doing a search on google for images related to 'Flag -New "South Wales"', does not return anything which resembles that GIF image.

As this TB was the very 1st TB / coin we have discovered, within a region of the UK, I have no clue what the other gif files names imply.

So it would be greatly appriciated if someone can let me know which UK regions these GIF files belong to

EE.gif =

EM.gif =

LO.gif =

NE.gif =

NI.gif =

NN.gif =

NO.gif =

NW.gif =

SA.gif =

SE.gif =

SN.gif =

SO.gif =

SS.gif =

SW.gif =

WM.gif =

YH.gif =

Thanks

Anton

Hi

The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (UK) is a group of executive regions which have some devolved powers; England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. Each region is made-up of counties which are generally for administrative purposes. For instance, Cornwall is a county of England. Counties will often also be split into districts, again for administrative purposes.

You can learn about the UK here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom

I'm not sure what most of the images are for in that directory, but here are the ones I recognise.

EE.gif - English flag with a blue skull in the centre (no idea why the blue skull is there)

EM.gif -

LO.gif - Looks like the sign for the London underground

NE.gif

NI.gif

NN.gif

NO.gif - Geocaching badge?

NW.gif - Top half of the Welsh flag

SA.gif - Lower half of the Welsh flag

SE.gif - Geocaching badge?

SN.gif - Scottish flag

SO.gif - Part of the English Coat of Arms

SS.gif - Scottish Thistle?

SW.gif

WM.gif

YH.gif

Google & Wikipedia are your friends here. In particular check out this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_England

Hello Anton, welcome...

Those gif images are tiny - it's really difficult to work out exactly what they are!

Within the British Isles there are flags for the countries of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Eire (Southern Ireland)

Within these separate countries we have small regions called counties. Many counties have their own flags (I don't know if all our counties have their own flag.)

When you saw South Wales as the area for the TB, the "south Wales" just refers to the Geocaching areas used within Wales: It's split into two parts for convenience - north Wales and south Wales - these are not political boundaries.

The whole of Wales uses one flag, this one

wales-flag.gif

I'll let other expand further on our other flags.

MrsB :rolleyes:

Edited to add - I've just realised which TB it is! :unsure:

Edited by The Blorenges

Wow, it seems like my confusion is well founded.

From the responses so far, it seems the flags in the United Kingdom directory on GSAK are not really the correct ones.

I also though that NW.GIF, was only half of what it should be.

I also see I should use the word county rather then region. Will do so from now on.

I think I will take this question to the GSAK forum, and see if someone there can help me, and maybe update the flags correctly.

BTW, the flags, are displayed when one runs the FindStatGen34Beta Macro from within GSAK. It displays the count of all the caches one has found in each county, and then displays the flag of each county at the bottom. Quite snazzy feature of GSAK (for South Africa in any case).

Just wanted to add: "Hi MrsB. TB is well looked after!"

Must say it is turning out to be a very interesting quest, and very interesting learning the regions / counties of other countries.

I will report back once I have some news from the GSAK forum.

Thanks for the links I have used the wikipedia ones, but they images from there did not link up to those from the GSAK site. But that now makes sense, as it seems the GSAK images are all work in progress, as they do not seem to be correct.

If anybody else has some comments, and or links, they are appreciated.

Wow, it seems like my confusion is well founded.

You are not the only one :rolleyes:

If anybody else has some comments, and or links, they are appreciated.

The geocaching 'states' or 'regions' for the UK have very little to do with any real life breakdown of the Country - they are just a way of splitting the Country down in to smaller areas.

I guess that is why there are some very strange 'flags' floating around as there is nothing in most cases which identifies that area.

Edited by hawkeye81

This page will take you to the flags of the UK and of the four countries which make up the UK which are England, Northern Ireland (Ulster), Scotland and Wales, and also the flags of the Channel Islands and many (all?) of the English counties.

The whole of the UK as an entity uses the UK flag, known as the Union Flag, and the four countries that comprise the UK also use their own flags. The county flags aren't used much except by county councils.

This page will show you the flag of the Republic of Ireland, also known as Eire and as Southern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is a separate country, not part of the UK.

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

This page will take you to the flags of the UK and of the four countries which make up the UK which are England, Northern Ireland (Ulster), Scotland and Wales, and also the flags of the Channel Islands and many (all?) of the English counties.

Well I never, thanks Bill! I knew a few of those but not many - there isn't a flag on the list for Worcestershire, or Herefordshire for that matter. I did wonder if it might still show as combined.

Worcestershire CC are very fussy about the use of the county emblem, I asked if I could use it on some polo shirts with the caching team name but was told in no uncertain terms NO!

The GSAK flags are for the regions of the UK, which were decided for/by Groundspeak, in order to split the UK into manageable areas for the reviewers...

I think the flags are a mish-mash of the flags from the Counties that those regions cover.

NW North Wales has the top half of the Welsh Dragon -I wonder if South Wales has the lower half of the dragon.. :rolleyes:

It's probably easier for you to stay with England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland etc., unless you know specifically which County a TB originated from!

I think the flags are a mish-mash of the flags from the Counties that those regions cover.

NW North Wales has the top half of the Welsh Dragon -I wonder if South Wales has the lower half of the dragon.. :ph34r:

Absolutely Spot On! When the region maps became available in FindStatGen, no-one came up with suggestions.

Rather than just whinge, I quickly knocked them up, based on some type of symbol from that area. :ph34r:

So the top half & bottom half of the welsh flag seemed reasonable. Yorkshire is the white rose. Some of the items were taken from the local caching forums (NW & SE), some were based on unofficial flags (North east I think was the old Northumbria flag), whilst the west midlands was based on the Police crest ! No upset was intended with any of them, and I think the east midlands might be the only slightly 'contentious' one, it being based on the unofficial flag of derbyshire :unsure:

Mind you, the limit of 9 pixels high means its rather difficult to tell what its all supposed to be!

They've been there for a while now, and there've been no comments. So most must be happy, or just not bothered :rolleyes:

If someone wants to provide a better set, I wouldn't be at all offended. It'll be all immaterial once the county mapping system gets implemented in FSG.

Edited to add...

EE.gif = East of England - East Anglia flag (some kind of shield, not a skull!)

EM.gif = East Midlands - unofficial derbyshire flag

LO.gif = London - Underground symbol - keeping a recognisable thing in 9Px is difficult!

NE.gif = NorthEast - Northumbria flag (ancient kingdom)

NI.gif = Northern Ireland - I left it blank deliberately

NN.gif = Absolutely no idea - maybe why its blank!

NO.gif = North West England - NW Cacher's forum icon

NW.gif = North Wales - Top half of welsh flag

SA.gif = South Wales - Bottom half of welsh flag

SE.gif = South east england - SE Cacher icon

SN.gif = Scotland North - Saltire (spelling?) Scottish flag

SO.gif = South of England - Wessex flag (ancient kingdom)

SS.gif = Scotland South - Thistle (or it could be a deep-fried haggis?) ;>

SW.gif = South-west england - Combination of Conish and Devon flags

WM.gif = Doctored police shield (may be part of the flag of mercia?, another ancient kingdom)

YH.gif = white rose on blue

So, what's the missing region, NN?

Edited by Guanajuato

Hello Anton, welcome...

Those gif images are tiny - it's really difficult to work out exactly what they are!

Within the British Isles there are flags for the countries of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Eire (Southern Ireland)

Within these separate countries we have small regions called counties. Many counties have their own flags (I don't know if all our counties have their own flag.)

When you saw South Wales as the area for the TB, the "south Wales" just refers to the Geocaching areas used within Wales: It's split into two parts for convenience - north Wales and south Wales - these are not political boundaries.

wales-flag.gif

MrsB :unsure:

Thats my mother in law's personal flag :rolleyes:

Edited to add - I've just realised which TB it is! :ph34r:

Hello Anton, welcome...

wales-flag.gif

MrsB :unsure:

Edited to add - I've just realised which TB it is! :ph34r:

Thats my mother in law's personal flag :rolleyes:

It'll be all immaterial once the county mapping system gets implemented in FSG.

Willing to say more... :ph34r:

Or are things "In progress" :unsure:

At the moment, GSAK has the ability to work out which county a cache is in (whether its entirely accurate I can't say, but its right for all the caches I've done). The maps the FindStatGen macro produces (and very good they are) are based on the state data. However, my understanding is that the current FindStatGen Beta may implement county-level mapping, using the new county field in GSAK. But don't take any of that as gospel, & don't go holding your breath! :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I still resort to the ItsNotAboutTheNumbers map.

As for the flags/icons, it took me about half an hour to search out 'appropriate' symbols & make the titchy little GIFs.

Although I am using the flags (and coat of arms in the case of South Africa), I manually capture the information of each and every TB / coin we move / discover.

On each and every trackable Item, it comes up with country, and for some the *area* that coin is from. I am interpreting these words, like "South Wales, England" back to a country (UK), and an Area (SW).

I do, most of the time, research a little about the province / region / county / state. At least at that point, it was not just a number I took of the coin / TB.

So, I can not really change my info, as I am bound by what Groundspeak is providing, and I am again limited by the flags / icons as per the GSAK web site. It seems like for now, I will have to use the ones which are there, and would think, better suited Icons will emerge as more people start using the new StatsGen within GSAK.

Thanks, for the mappings from Icon, to county / region. I now at least understand what is linked to what.

But it still seems, that should I, as a foreigner to your country, wish to learn a little more of your country, by looking where the coin / tb came from, I could still be somewhat cumbersome, as there is no direct correlation between your counties, and what I could find lets say on Wikipedia (or am I still missing something).

Again thanks to all for your input.

I can't remember the exact mapping of counties to regions, but the regions do follow county boundaries to some extent (constantly changing as they are, most definitely not to fudge voting patterns, oh no).

Here's a link to the region information, which also gives you a region overlay for google earth.

Good luck in your quest to understand the British way! :rolleyes:

Willing to say more... :lol:

Or are things "In progress" :lol:

At the moment, GSAK has the ability to work out which county a cache is in (whether its entirely accurate I can't say, but its right for all the caches I've done). The maps the FindStatGen macro produces (and very good they are) are based on the state data. However, my understanding is that the current FindStatGen Beta may implement county-level mapping, using the new county field in GSAK. But don't take any of that as gospel, & don't go holding your breath! :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I still resort to the ItsNotAboutTheNumbers map.

As for the flags/icons, it took me about half an hour to search out 'appropriate' symbols & make the titchy little GIFs.

As you say - UK county level mapping is now available in GSAK. Someone (I can't recall who - but many thanks to them!) have created coordinate polygons for every UK county. GSAK then uses these to assign a county to the cache.

Regarding the State data - there are two ways of getting this. GC.com provides this - but ONLY where the owner has filled in the state data. A lot of UK caches are listed as Nil for this reason. Alternatively - GSAK can calculate the state data - based PURELY on the assigned counties. There is a list in GSAK of which counties are in which state. These are actually more accurate and intuitive than the GC.com states.

Finally, the state names are effectively meaningless in a political sense - they are simply GC.com assigned regions in order to break the UK down into manageable chunks. Because of this, there are NO official flags for these regions - the ones listed earlier have been created by GSAK users for convenience - which is why the London 'flag' is the underground icon!

The only 'official' flags would be for the individual countries (Scotland, England, etc) or for the UK. However I don't believe that the countries are used on GC.com. This leaves counties - which are also not provided in GC.com - but are provided for caches with GSAK. County coat-of-arms are available on t'net somewhere!

All very confusing - who knows if this has helped!

Regarding the State data - there are two ways of getting this. GC.com provides this - but ONLY where the owner has filled in the state data.

Not helped when caches are created with the wrong Region selected!

Quite! :rolleyes:

GSAK will overwrite these with the its own states - based on the county, if you find it more accurate!

Thanks, I have struggled to get it to overwrite it adds in missing ones, but does not correct, I need to check the settings.

Regarding the State data - there are two ways of getting this. GC.com provides this - but ONLY where the owner has filled in the state data.

Not helped when caches are created with the wrong Region selected!

Quite! :rolleyes:

GSAK will overwrite these with the its own states - based on the county, if you find it more accurate!

Thanks, I have struggled to get it to overwrite it adds in missing ones, but does not correct, I need to check the settings.

Are you using the latest GSAK?

There's an extra box for getting GSAK to fill in the Counties and Regions

Are you using the latest GSAK?

There's an extra box for getting GSAK to fill in the Counties and Regions

Yes I am up to date. I get the macros to run automatically when I load in new PQ's it is obviously just the wrong letter I am using, will look into it later. I update counties and regions.

Willing to say more... :lol:

Or are things "In progress" :lol:

The latest beta does support county level mapping, along with a few other new features.

But ... :lol: ... it will need someone to produce the mapping files for the UK :lol:

I did look at doing it, but couldn't easily find a suitable map. Plus all the coordinates for the colour fills then need to be defined too.

But ... :rolleyes: ... it will need someone to produce the mapping files for the UK :lol:

they have! available from a GSAK store near you!

Might be being blind :lol:, but I can't see a UK County map listed in this thread.

Regions map yes, but not a County map.

ah - cross purposes! mea culpa!

I was talking about the ability of GSAK to correctly identify the counties in GSAK itself -using polygons. I agree though, there isn't a county map for FSG!

Hi Anton,

I didn't think there would be an easy answer! BTW I just looked at your stat page and it looks really good - but we will have to get an Irish TB to make its way to you. If we qualify for the World Cup When we qualify for next years World Cup there will be millions of us there to enjoy your excellent hospitality and no doubt we can bring a coin or two :rolleyes:

In spite of the OP TBs South Wales label I think the Welsh flag, and Wales as the region would be entirely appropriate for your stats and make sense to anyone looking at it from a UK perspective. As it is, describing it as South Wales might make people think it is from somewhere an AWFUL lot further souith.

Best regards

Nick

Hi Nick (and others)

Now that I have started to label, the places from which I have discovered TB's / coins, I am now on a mission, to try and get a TB/coind "find" for every region and for every country. I think this will be a 10 year mission, and maybe will never be completed. But I am thoroughly enjoying this little quest, and learning quite a bit of each country.

I would urge the UK cachers, to maybe come to some consensus at to which icons to use, that locals and foreigners can understand (With the counties in the UK this might be somewhat more difficult).

If you look at the two icons for New Zealand, you will see they have a depiction of both Islands on the flags.

Either way, I am happy now that I understand the names of each icon, and can now correctly link each one to the correct county.

Hi Nick (and others)

I would urge the UK cachers, to maybe come to some consensus at to which icons to use, that locals and foreigners can understand (With the counties in the UK this might be somewhat more difficult).

I would not hold your breath, I think trying to establish these details has been going on for hundreds of years and with regions/counties/metroplitan areas continually changing I doubt it will be in my lifetime! :)

I don't think you'll get a consensus as so much of it is so contentious, and the regions get changed from time to time anyway. I'd suggest using England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland for the UK. For the others that have been mentioned, I'd suggest using the Republic of Ireland and the various Channel Islands flags.

Someone else had already posted a UK counties map to the GSAK server. So I've constructed a file that will give the UK counties filled in. File is on the GSAK forums

Excellent :ph34r: Works a treat (at least for Kent & Essex!), thank you :(

Slightly hijacking this thread, but a couple of very pedantic comments ....

The Isle of Sheppy doesn't get filled for Kent (the island off the North Kent coast) and the sea has turned white between the Isle of Wight and the mainland!

Slightly hijacking this thread, but a couple of very pedantic comments ....

The Isle of Sheppy doesn't get filled for Kent (the island off the North Kent coast) and the sea has turned white between the Isle of Wight and the mainland!

The map was already in the GSAK system and I'd noticed the solent beng white in the original.

As for colouring islands, I was having a few 'issues' getting correct coordinates so I kept it simple. But I forgot about that one.

If you add the following line into the FindStatGenMapUKCounty.dat just after the Kent;290;390 bit, it should work

Kent;295;379

I've tried to change it on the GSAK forum, and for some reason I can't upload the dat file...?

As for colouring islands, I was having a few 'issues' getting correct coordinates so I kept it simple. But I forgot about that one.

If you add the following line into the FindStatGenMapUKCounty.dat just after the Kent;290;390 bit, it should work

Kent;295;379

Yep, that's sorted it, thanks. :ph34r:

Help I am getting an error, that reads:

Current Macro: C:\gsak\macros\FindStatGenMapUKCounty.dat

Error in Macro at line: 8

$StateChosen = "%"

Error=> Undeclared variable: $StateChosen

Can anyone help?

Yes

You need the '3.5 Beta' version of the macro (3.5.13B is the latest).

Unfortunately, you'll need to re-create the order details go in, and possibly the notes section.

The GUI for ordering has changed quite a lot between 3.4 & 3.5. See this post

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I've tried to download your file from that GSAK forum page but keep getting this error message:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

I can download things from other links on that site. I also noticed the download count for your file was 16 when I tried last night, and still is when I tried again this morning.

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I've tried to download your file from that GSAK forum page but keep getting this error message:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

I can download things from other links on that site. I also noticed the download count for your file was 16 when I tried last night, and still is when I tried again this morning.

Wasn't just me then! :D

I was having trouble downloading the file from the server last night to make the Kent change. I've managed to upload a new version a few minutes ago, once it finally let me. Try again & see how it goes.

I've just uploaded a copy to my server - try the GSAK-hosted file first though.

Failing that, I can always email you a copy.

Great, thanks :blink: The only issue I have is that it has suddenly given me another dozen finds in Oxfordshire? A few other counties have slight variations but that could be due to where the line falls.

:blink:

Can't help you there I'm afraid.

The mapping just uses whatever state/county information is already in the state & county fields in GSAK. All the map definition does is define a point to start a flood fill - the county polygons are part of GSAK and aren't changed by FSG or the map file.

When you next update your GSAK database, put S and Y into the update state and county fields on the load file dialog.

As an experiment, filter by County=Oxfordshire and see whether the number on the map agrees with the number of caches in your list. If they don't I guess you'll need to nip over to the GSAK boards & ask there. It might be that some are near a border? :)

Thanks again, all working now. (Thought I'd replied to that effect yesterday but it's not there now.)

The county polygons are simplified shapes that only approximately follow the boundaries, and also have a shift roughly to the NW of of up to about 1km depending where you look. That's why I spent time adjusting all the county coastal boundaries so they were about 1km out to sea. Before that many of them were inland so all caches along the coast were being missed completely.

It didn't seem worth the much longer time it would take to fix all the inland county boundaries too, particularly as you'd need to keep all adjoining counties in sync to avoid making matters worse.

So you'll still get a small minority of caches being put in the wrong county. But at least they all get put somewhere, apart from the very odd few puzzle caches that deliberately have their published coordinates miles out the sea.