Bogus Cachers!

We think we have a problem in the area. There appears to be a cacher who is doing the caches in a 'virtual manner' :rolleyes: if you see what I mean. This 'cacher' is logging caches but not signing the log book or logging at a brand new cache when we know full well there was a problem and trying to claim a FTF.

Our 'cachers' seems to be playing a bit of a game with us.

Anyone else with a similar problem?

Who do we report such occurances to?

The Landsdowns and myself has discussed this via e-mail, i'm local to them and i am also a 'victim' of this particular bogus cacher, as yet I've not deleted their on-line log as i'm a bit concerned they will take revenge on my actual cache's and destroy them.

I have several watches on some local caches so i receive an e-mail when ever a new log is made and interestingly this bogus cacher is often logging caches with last summers dates, I think its must be so its not too obvious, however with a watch on a cache you see they recently logged it.

Also they claim to have found my 3 newest caches today, I have as yet to get out to them and do an audit.

I am wondering though is it up to the cache owner 'to do the right thing..?' and in this instance what would be the right thing to do..? delete the logs or just ignore them..?? :rolleyes:

Just had a thought.. as you said they've logged some with last summer's dates...

I'm wondering whether it could be someone's child who has set up their own separate geocaching account and is now back-logging the ones that they did earlier with their parents?

This happens sometimes - It's usually polite to put an explanation in the log when the re-logging occurs, but it's possible that this might have been missed... maybe?

MrsB

A very good thought blorenge, i had never thought of that.

Have a gold star.

I've had this happen on my caches, and also we did it when Mrs Martybartfast ChalkHillBlue started logging caches in her own right. We made a point of adding an explainatory note to the retrospective logs, but if you check who else logged the caches on the same date as this mystery cacher then you might see some correlation.

Let others, including your local administrator, know about the problem.

I don't think we've got any local administrators.. ??? :)

Check out the person approving and publishing you caches.

Technically they "review" rather than approve but they're not administrators. It's the responsibility of the cache owner to administer their own cache and police their own logs. In fact it's in the guidelines under maintenance:

...The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements....

Edited by dino-irl
I don't think we've got any local administrators.. ??? :)

Check out the person approving and publishing you caches.

With apologies for veering off-topic:

Historically the first few volunteers were "admins", short for (I presume) "volunteer site administrators". Some of the original volunteers (CO Admin, PNWAdmin, NY Admin, and there are others, I'm sure) still have traces of that in their name.

Then their role was narrowed to "approver" (or "moderator", or both). Then that got renamed to "reviewer" because they do more than approve (for example, sometimes they "disapprove" :D).

People tend to use the word which was current when they joined the game. Because the volunteers were often also forum moderators, the term "mod" is also often used when "reviewer" is probably what is meant.

Even "volunteer" isn't always accurate since, occasionally, caches will be published or archived, or forum posts moderated, by a Groundspeak lackey (another word whose precise definition can sometimes be hard to pin down, but generally involves remuneration). It's all part of the "charm" of the site.

I once went after a new cache that was logged on line already with the tag "will update later",on arrival at the cache i discovered my first solo ftf,on getting back to logging on line the cacher had indeed "updated"and conceeded that i was 1st .I asked the local reviewer to clarify the position in these circumstances and they fobbed off with the "be happy you got the 1st log book entry" line ,as an official ftf hound (other local cachers term) i'm still irked another cacher would do this...... MooToo

I once went after a new cache that was logged on line already with the tag "will update later",on arrival at the cache i discovered my first solo ftf,on getting back to logging on line the cacher had indeed "updated"and conceeded that i was 1st .I asked the local reviewer to clarify the position in these circumstances and they fobbed off with the "be happy you got the 1st log book entry" line ,as an official ftf hound (other local cachers term) i'm still irked another cacher would do this...... MooToo

That all sounds a bit strange... So (just so I understand exactly) they had done an on-line Found log before they had actually been to the cache and signed the log? :P

Now, if my understanding is correct, why would someone do that?

... maybe to make it appear that the cache had already had its FTF and so others who might be in the FTF race wouldn't bother to dash out for it? :)

That sounds very sneaky tactics to me!

MrsB

... maybe to make it appear that the cache had already had its FTF and so others who might be in the FTF race wouldn't bother to dash out for it? :)

That sounds very sneaky tactics to me!

MrsB

now why had I never thought of doing that?! All's fair in love and FTF hunting! :P:D

I hope you would never stoops so low! B)

MrsB :D

I am interested in this question - particularly about a change of name. When I registered a few weeks ago, I didn't really understand the whole thing and simply registered as me! But as it's a 'we' who cache, I would prefer that we changed to a new name. I assume from my searching that I would need to re-register and would lose the finds to date! Any guidance would be appreciated!

I am interested in this question - particularly about a change of name. When I registered a few weeks ago, I didn't really understand the whole thing and simply registered as me! But as it's a 'we' who cache, I would prefer that we changed to a new name. I assume from my searching that I would need to re-register and would lose the finds to date! Any guidance would be appreciated!

Groundspeak Knowledgebase how to change User Name

Groundspeak Knowledgebase how to change User Name

Thank you! :ph34r:

i had a conversation with some cachers (cant remember what there names were) and they said when they go out and place a NEW cache one hides it and the other ones logs it as an FTF. but puts no date on it. so when it does comes live.they just log as an FTF. but they were there when it was placed.

i had a conversation with some cachers (cant remember what there names were) and they said when they go out and place a NEW cache one hides it and the other ones logs it as an FTF. but puts no date on it. so when it does comes live.they just log as an FTF. but they were there when it was placed.

I've seen that done before, although they would deny it! :blink:

The Landsdowns and myself has discussed this via e-mail, i'm local to them and i am also a 'victim' of this particular bogus cacher, as yet I've not deleted their on-line log as i'm a bit concerned they will take revenge on my actual cache's and destroy them.

Well, its been a while since I've posted on this forum but tonight I was forced to close down one of my most popular cache because someone clearly targeted it and basically left something rather disgusting and depraved in it, even bragging about it in the log with the ominous words "...strikes again." :antenna::antenna::D Another cacher found it like this and kindly PM'd me the details and dealt with the contents (brave man).

Seacarrot is local to me *waves from across town* - I'm concerned as this vindictive person has been doing the rounds around Leicester and other EM areas.

I have lost two of my large containers (both popular too) recently, by people who would have needed insider information to find it, and this has happened after I deleted a dodgy and suspect log. I am angry that a game that regularly has children participating is being ruined by children of an adult nature. Its really putting me off from replacing or placing caches :blink:

Well folks, the phantom cacher appears to have a time machine, after I deleted their fake log for last January, they have now re-logged my cache for last October.

Going to give them a snotty e-mail, and report them finally now. B)

Also sadly, the Lansdowns who have also posted on this site tell me via e-mail that a few of their Caches have been destroyed by these cache trashers doing the rounds throughout this region.

With this in mind, i have suspended my cache placing programme to see how things develop.

*Waves back at Alice Band* :laughing:

Was chatting to Alibags the other day discussing this very thing and she quite rightly suggested that by not replacing the cache and talking about it on the forums probably plays right into the vindictive person's hands.

Perhaps we can eventually catch these 'Cachetrolls' in the act?

I'm going to place a test cache to replace one of mine - one that Seacarrot wanted to bag B) - and see how long it lasts. Sadly I'm not a mad inventor so I can't place traps all around it :laughing: