What to buy

ziplox

My explorist 500 decided that its geochaching days are over and will not sync to my pc anymore. Magellan offered me a reduced price on a Triton 500 series gps, and I was wondering if I would like it. My biggest concern right now is what software is available for street maps. Do I have to buy the National Geographic Topo state maps for each state I want detailed street maps? If so, this could get very expensive. I have read that I may be able to use Mapsend Topo 3D. Will I be able to get the detailed street maps? Will the detailed POI from Mapsend work on the Triton as well? And is there anything else I should be concerned about?

You can use topo 3d. There are instructions on the magellan website on how to put them on a triton series unit. There are no turn by turn street maps for the triton.

I have a triton 2000 and an oregon 300. The triton sits in a box on a shelf and the oregon gets used. It's just harder to use the triton by comparison. Hardware wise the only plus for the garmin is the screen size. But using the interface on the garmin is heaven on earth compared to the triton. Given your situation I would either get another used explorist off ebay or go with another brand of GPSr.