Garmin City Navigator 2009

I am going to purchase the City Navigator North America 2009 and have a few questions. While looking on E-bay, I see lots of "updates". Do I need to get the software first or is the update the same? Where do you recommend buying the software from and do I get the DVD or SD card? I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx unit. Thanks - CachinSpree

If you don't already have the City Navigator NT maps, then you need to purchase the full version. The update version will not work for you. And be careful about eBay. The products may not come with a valid, unused unlock code.

It's typically recommended that people get the DVD version rather than the SD card version. The SD card can be moved between different GPS unit, but the maps cannot be used with MapSource on your computer, cannot be updated, cannot be copied to another card, and you cannot place any other data on the card.

I am also looking to buy garmin city navigator nt ....I know that if i buy the sd card version i can use it between different compatable garmin products with an sd card slot BUT if i buy the dvd version and install it to mapsource on my computer and pick out an area i want and transfer it to a blank sd card can i use that card in different garmin compatable units?_________ I have a vista hcx and an older garmin c-550 that needs updating.

If that don't work and i get it on sd card from garmin will putting that card into my older garmin c-550 hurt anything?________

thanx for any help.

Joe :rolleyes:

Thanks walter..... I was afraid of that but may still go that route as i also have topo to mix in there.....

would you know if i bought the CN NT sd card version from garmin would it work in my garmin c-550 without damage?_____ and then pull the card out of there when i don't need it and use it in my vista hcx?______

Joe

That would work. You would want to deselect the preloaded City Navigator maps on your c550 when you put the SD card in with the newer maps.

This is very good and completely true information worth repeating:

Motorcycle_Mama Posted Yesterday, 11:39 AM

"If you don't already have the City Navigator NT maps, then you need to purchase the full version. The update version will not work for you. And be careful about eBay. The products may not come with a valid, unused unlock code.

It's typically recommended that people get the DVD version rather than the SD card version. The SD card can be moved between different GPS unit, but the maps cannot be used with MapSource on your computer, cannot be updated, cannot be copied to another card, and you cannot place any other data on the card."

*** It is important to note that when registering the DVD version, your GPSr is conntected to your computer and the s/n info entered which is what couples the DVD version to a specific unit. I tried to download a map after unlocking my CN North America NT to see if it would work on a Nuvi model also and it was not useable (I forget exact message, but basically it's locked to my Oregon) in fact I would need to purchase another unlock code (license) to use on another GPSr.

Also consider the type you use, SD or microSD... and what the risk of damage and/or loosing the card is (mainly the microSD as it is amazing how small a data storage card can be!)

Having recently purchased an Oregon 400t I had a similar choice to make and little references to be able to decide what to do. I chose the DVD version and have already loaded the update from Garmin for it. I then loaded the 1.1GB of maps (all of Canada, U.S. with Alaska and Hawaii, & Puerto Rico) to a 4GB microSDHC card. I also have a lot of free space for tracks, waypoints, custom POI's, etc... left over to now make use of.

So... a 2GB card will do in this case and then should be directly readable by a computer's card slot rather than needing a USB high capacity card reader that I needed, for example, when I got a 4GB SDHC card - I originally heard the maps were closer to 2GB and as typical card capacities round down in useable capacity.

Key is the lack of flexibility when chosing the card over the DVD and being able to do "Mapquest" type planning for routable directions and then being able to transfer that to your GPSr. In addition, if you choose the DVD version and load to a memory card, the wealth of available maps to load off the internet should make up for the lack of being able to swap the preprogrammed card between multiple GPS receivers.

Just my two cents worth from what I've been able to research so far :-)

AS I'm on on my holidays shortly I've brought a Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2009 SD card - I've not tried it yet.

Being a novice about these things, what happens if I plug it in to my Nuvi 760? Will it overwrite the European maps that came pre installed?

I did not read the forums before buying - and lost another one I purposed on line in the mail. So much for trying to save a few quid.

The preloaded card will not overwrite your preloaded maps. The unit should read it automatically.

You might, however, want to de-select your Europe map once you get to North America which will force the unit to search the NA maps when using the Where to? function.

Go to Wrench/Settings > Map > Map Info to see your maps and select/de-select them.

alot of good info..... I may go for the sd card if they have it in micro so i can use it in my vista hcx and my c-550 with the adapter...... does this sound feasable as my map in my c-550 is about four years old now

Joe

Yes. That will work. Just be aware that you will not be able to use the maps with MapSource on a computer. And you will not be able to put other maps (for example, Topo) on the preloaded card.

Otherwise, you will have no issues using the card in the manner described. And I believe that all the CN preloaded cards are being produced in the microSD/SD adapter format now.

I feel happier now I know my new nuvi won't throw a wobbly.

I've found free topo maps on the the states I'm visiting.

Here's a link to a free topo map site. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

I'll was planning on download them to my garmin visita, but Mapsource does not reconise them as file that can be sent. They can be viewed and I'm some one clever may have the answer.

eg http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=170615

I've got one for Seattle as I'm hunting the project APE cache.

Edited by FunLovingGeocacher
*** It is important to note that when registering the DVD version, your GPSr is conntected to your computer and the s/n info entered which is what couples the DVD version to a specific unit. I tried to download a map after unlocking my CN North America NT to see if it would work on a Nuvi model also and it was not useable (I forget exact message, but basically it's locked to my Oregon) in fact I would need to purchase another unlock code (license) to use on another GPSr.

I updated to NT 2009 (as a DVD) and loaded the new maps onto my Nuvi. I wanted to load NT 2009 to my 60Cx, and I figured that I would just buy an additional unlock code. But NO! If I want to load NT 2009 to my other device, I have to purchase either another DVD or the card with pre-loaded maps! Doesn't that seem really ridiculous? Is one supposed to try and load a second copy of NT 2009 to their computer? Doesn't make any sense to me.....