Forbidden Zone Geocaches

SGTF

Greetings:

Planning a trip to the San Diego region in the near future? Read on!! SGTF is pleased to announce their evolving Forbidden Zone geocache series in Southern California! Dubbed "Operation Silverback," SGTF has stashed mission codewords at each of their current four (4) Top Secret Geocaches (TSGs). Visitors to these caches will need to use the Silverback Cipher (linked below) to decrypt both hints left to find these codewords as well as the codewords themselves. Be sure to bring a printed copy of the cipher with you if you plan to visit any of these caches, as you will need it to decipher messages at the locations which will lead you to codewords which are not always stashed in the primary ammo cans!

http://fbz.geocaches.org/html/silverback.php?name=codewords

After deciphering the codeword, enter it into its corresponding fields on the new Web-based codewords panel. GPS coordinates to the final TSG location will be revealed after six (6) codewords have been successfully submitted. The final location, FBZ A.P.E. 57, is an incredibly SECRET place (really!) where the “truth” related to Operation Silverback shall be revealed and the FTF will be rewarded with an authentic and rare adoptable GOLD Project A.P.E. geocoin!

Three more TSGs will be planted over the next several months to complete the Forbidden Zone series. Optionally, operatives are welcome to create an account on our new Web site to display their progress as they gather and successfully enter Operation Silverback codewords (You do not need to create an account at http://fbz.geocache.org to visit any of these caches or enter codewords into the Web-based codeword panel; it is purely optional).

There will eventually be a total of seven (7) FBZ missions (cache locations) in Operation Silverback. Six (6) FBZ locations will contain relevant series "intelligence" and the aforementioned corresponding mission codeword. Note that current FBZ cache positions ARE NOT within walking distance to each other. To help gauge your level of interest, be advised that each of the remaining three (3) FBZ planned caches will be located no farther than 100 linear miles from downtown San Diego. Also note that codewords can be gathered in any order so you DO NOT need to visit FBZs sequentially!

Good luck and Godspeed!

Simian Guerrilla Task Force

aka SGTF

San Diego, CA

Edited by SGTF

Greetings:

Planning a trip to the San Diego region in the near future? Read on!! SGTF is pleased to announce their evolving Forbidden Zone geocache series in Southern California! Dubbed "Operation Silverback," SGTF has stashed mission codewords at each of their current four (4) Top Secret Geocaches (TSGs). Visitors to these caches will need to use the Silverback Cipher (linked below) to decrypt both hints left to find these codewords as well as the codewords themselves. Be sure to bring a printed copy of the cipher with you if you plan to visit any of these caches, as you will need it to decipher messages at the locations which will lead you to codewords which are not always stashed in the primary ammo cans!

http://fbz.geocaches.org/html/silverback.php?name=codewords

After deciphering the codeword, enter it into its corresponding fields on the new Web-based codewords panel. GPS coordinates to the final TSG location will be revealed after six (6) codewords have been successfully submitted. The final location, FBZ A.P.E. 57, is an incredibly SECRET place (really!) where the “truth” related to Operation Silverback shall be revealed and the FTF will be rewarded with an authentic and rare adoptable GOLD Project A.P.E. geocoin!

Three more TSGs will be planted over the next several months to complete the Forbidden Zone series. Optionally, operatives are welcome to create an account on our new Web site to display their progress as they gather and successfully enter Operation Silverback codewords (You do not need to create an account at http://fbz.geocache.org to visit any of these caches or enter codewords into the Web-based codeword panel; it is purely optional).

There will eventually be a total of seven (7) FBZ missions (cache locations) in Operation Silverback. Six (6) FBZ locations will contain relevant series "intelligence" and the aforementioned corresponding mission codeword. Note that current FBZ cache positions ARE NOT within walking distance to each other. To help gauge your level of interest, be advised that each of the remaining three (3) FBZ planned caches will be located no farther than 100 linear miles from downtown San Diego. Also note that codewords can be gathered in any order so you DO NOT need to visit FBZs sequentially!

Good luck and Godspeed!

Simian Guerrilla Task Force

aka SGTF

San Diego, CA

So, I am curious about your choice of the name "Forbidden Zone" for this series and your concomitant decision to announce this series on the "Geocaching Topics" section of the forum, where it will reach a large worlwide audience, instead of placing this thread on the Ca-area regional forum, where it would reach just a local audience in CA and surrounding states.

These two facts, taken together, indicate to me that this "Forbidden Zone" in which you have placed (and will be placing) the Forbidden Zone caches must be a very dangerous and somewhat illegal (that is, to access) Zone that is very much akin to the inner Zone of Alienation at Chernobyl (also known as The Chernobyl Zone, The 30 Kilometer Zone, The Zone of Exclusion, The Fourth Zone, or simply The Zone) or perhaps The Zone that was referenced and depicted in the prescient 1979 Russian film entitled Zone by Tarkovsky.

Can you, and will you, tell us more about The Forbidden Zone in which you are emplacing these caches? And, what is the size of this zone, and what are its dangers? Lastly, it is a zone that it heavily fenced and guarded and illegal to enter, such as is true of the Zones which I have referenced above?

Thanks in advance for sharing more information about The Forbidden Zone!

The name "Forbidden Zones" is a play on the well-know term used throughout the Planet of the Apes science fiction movie saga. These caches are NOT placed in any illegal areas or places of danger. As I said, it's a tribute series to the Project A.P.E. caches that were originally created as part of the 2001 remake of the aforementioned movie. There's nothing sinister about it, just good fun! <_<

So, I am curious about your choice of the name "Forbidden Zone" for this series and your concomitant decision to announce this series on the "Geocaching Topics" section of the forum, where it will reach a large worlwide audience, instead of placing this thread on the Ca-area regional forum, where it would reach just a local audience in CA and surrounding states.

These two facts, taken together, indicate to me that this "Forbidden Zone" in which you have placed (and will be placing) the Forbidden Zone caches must be a very dangerous and somewhat illegal (that is, to access) Zone that is very much akin to the inner Zone of Alienation at Chernobyl (also known as The Chernobyl Zone, The 30 Kilometer Zone, The Zone of Exclusion, The Fourth Zone, or simply The Zone) or perhaps The Zone that was referenced and depicted in the prescient 1979 Russian film entitled Zone by Tarkovsky.

Can you, and will you, tell us more about The Forbidden Zone in which you are emplacing these caches? And, what is the size of this zone, and what are its dangers? Lastly, it is a zone that it heavily fenced and guarded and illegal to enter, such as is true of the Zones which I have referenced above?

Thanks in advance for sharing more information about The Forbidden Zone!

... your concomitant decision to announce this series on the "Geocaching Topics" section of the forum, where it will reach a large worlwide audience, instead of placing this thread on the Ca-area regional forum, where it would reach just a local audience in CA and surrounding states.

I'm sorry, I don't think I answered this aspect of your question. My decision to post an announcement about my series in the main geocaching forum was based on a number of things.

• The Project A.P.E. series was global in scope and I know there are fans of these geocaches who might appreciate my tribute series who live all over the world, not just in San Diego. Some of the caches (as of now) actually include authentic movie memorabilia.
  • Southern California is a travel destination for millions of people worldwide. Many vacationers who geocache may very well be interested in visiting one or more of my FBZ caches if and when they travel to this area of the United States. One of them is located very close to "hotel circle" in Mission Valley.
  • These caches are the culmination of months of work and hundreds of hours of time. Trust me, they were not "thrown together" overnight. A visit to my FBZ Web site should give you a feel for my commitment to the quality of the series. Feedback I've received so far has been very positive and I'd like to raise awareness outside the local region.
  • I don't know if I would have caught YOUR attention had I posted them in a local forum. After reviewing your profile, I think you might actually get a kick out of them! <_<

Edited by SGTF

... your concomitant decision to announce this series on the "Geocaching Topics" section of the forum, where it will reach a large worlwide audience, instead of placing this thread on the Ca-area regional forum, where it would reach just a local audience in CA and surrounding states.

I'm sorry, I don't think I answered this aspect of your question. My decision to post an announcement about my series in the main geocaching forum was based on a number of things.

• The Project A.P.E. series was global in scope and I know there are fans of these geocaches who might appreciate my tribute series who live all over the world, not just in San Diego. Some of the caches (as of now) actually include authentic movie memorabilia.
  • Southern California is a travel destination for millions of people worldwide. Many vacationers who geocache may very well be interested in visiting one or more of my FBZ caches if and when they travel to this area of the United States. One of them is located very close to "hotel circle" in Mission Valley.
  • These caches are the culmination of months of work and hundreds of hours of time. Trust me, they were not "thrown together" overnight. A visit to my FBZ Web site should give you a feel for my commitment to the quality of the series. Feedback I've received so far has been very positive and I'd like to raise awareness outside the local region.
  • I don't know if I would have caught YOUR attention had I posted them in a local forum. After reviewing your profile, I think you might actually get a kick out of them! :D

Thanks for your replies. Well, I wish you the best with your project, but frankly, I am disappointed. Maybe it is just me, and my unique prejudices, but, from my point of view, a cache (or cache series) with the title "Forbidden Zone" should, by definition, be a rather dangerous extreme terrain 5/5 hide in a barren and desolate and dangerous area, very much akin to any of the following Zones:

• the ForbiddenZone depicted in the Planet of the Apes movies, that is, a dangerous, desolate and barren area so polluted with chemical and radioactive toxins that no plants will grow and no animals can survive, and where the entire land exhibits "...that strange luminosity at night, and yet there's no moon".
  • the Zone of Alienation at Chernobyl (aka The 30 Kilometer Zone, The Zone of Exclusion, The Fourth Zone, or simply The Zone.)
  • The Zone that was referenced and depicted in the prescient 1979 Russian film entitled Zone by Tarkovsky.
  • The insane and dangerous alternate dimensional world that was depicted in the 1982 film entitled "The Forbidden Zone".

BTW, here is a photo of the Forbidden Zone from Planet of the Apes:

Forbidden_NY.jpg

So, go ahead... feel free to grossly dilute the meaning of the term "Forbidden Zone". Its okay. Really. It does not bother me much at all. Its okay. Feel free to do your own thing and re-invent the term ForbiddenZone. :unsure::ph34r::ph34r:

:rolleyes:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

So, go ahead... feel free to grossly dilute the meaning of the term "Forbidden Zone". Its okay. Really. It does not bother me much at all. Its okay. Feel free to do your own thing and re-invent the term ForbiddenZone. :ph34r::ph34r::D

:rolleyes:

hmmmm..... what if I told you there just might be a trip or two in this series that are closer to what you describe than one might think? I don't want to give away the farm, so to speak, as geocaching.com frown upon too much "forbidden-ness"... but let's just say that a few mission targets *might* be located in The Center For Land Use Interpretation database. Are you familiar with this repository? :unsure:

Edited by SGTF