Magellan Exp 400 & Vista: No Recognize

Use a card reader and put the caches on the sd card. That's what I have to do with my ex600

That's what I do with my 500, too. At least my new computer with Vista has a built in card reader. I was quite happy with geocache manager for years, but now I'm getting used to using GSAK and SD cards for caches and Direct Route maps. BTW, if you use Direct Route maps, be sure you put the SD card in your registered GPS first to format it (you don't have to do anything.)

Remember, you can only put the maps on one gps unit, but you can put the software on any number of computers.

I hate opening the back to remove the SD card, so I just connect my 600 directly to the computer (Vista Home Premium) and use GSAK. No problems, but I don't use geocache manager. Perhaps the latest version of Vantage Point can suit your needs?

Using Microsoft Vista with my old Palm Pilot - that's another story ... <_<

I hate opening the back to remove the SD card, so I just connect my 600 directly to the computer (Vista Home Premium) and use GSAK. No problems, but I don't use geocache manager. Perhaps the latest version of Vantage Point can suit your needs?

Using Microsoft Vista with my old Palm Pilot - that's another story ... :)

The problem is, if the computer doesn't recognize the gps, it doesn't matter what software you're using, it just won't work. Sounds like you don't have that problem. Consider yourself lucky. I beat my head against the wall trying to load new drivers for awhile, then someone pointed out that the drivers from the magellan website are really for something else and won't help with this issue.

The problem is NOT with geocache manager. It's with Vista not recognizing the gps.

Of course, I don't really understand all this stuff, but these are things I've learned along the way.

And I'm still working on getting Vista to work with my old Palm. I may just give up and get a PDA with an SD card.

Hey! I just got this problem solved. I was downloading the drivers from magellan's site and it wasn't working then I downloaded drivers from another guys site. But it still wouldn't work. I called customer service and he told me to turn my cord around I was screwing it into the back wrong. However, all these years before I knew I could send caches straight to my gps I was charging it with this cord screwed in upside down. As soon as I turned the cord around my computer with Windows Vista recognized my Explorist 400! I was dumb founded and felt stupid, the guy on the phone said don't worry the books never tell you the correct way to attach the thing in the back. I hope your problem is solved as simply as mine was! I'm sorry I don't know which driver did the job, I just believe I googled for EX400 drivers. And found some guy's site or I may have found his site through this forum. Also I use gsak to transfer the info to my gps. Works great.

Hey! I just got this problem solved. I called customer service and he told me to turn my cord around I was screwing it into the back wrong. However, all these years before I knew I could send caches straight to my gps I was charging it with this cord screwed in upside down. As soon as I turned the cord around my computer with Windows Vista recognized my Explorist 400! I was dumb founded and felt stupid, the guy on the phone said don't worry the books never tell you the correct way to attach the thing in the back. I hope your problem is solved as simply as mine was! I'm sorry I don't know which driver did the job, I just believe I googled for EX400 drivers. And found some guy's site or I may have found his site through this forum. Also I use gsak to transfer the info to my gps. Works great.

When you screwed it in right, was that with the cord going down the back? That's how mine is. Vista recognizes it using My Computer, but not through Geocache Manager. I'm going to try GSAK

Hey! I just got this problem solved. I called customer service and he told me to turn my cord around I was screwing it into the back wrong. However, all these years before I knew I could send caches straight to my gps I was charging it with this cord screwed in upside down. As soon as I turned the cord around my computer with Windows Vista recognized my Explorist 400! I was dumb founded and felt stupid, the guy on the phone said don't worry the books never tell you the correct way to attach the thing in the back. I hope your problem is solved as simply as mine was! I'm sorry I don't know which driver did the job, I just believe I googled for EX400 drivers. And found some guy's site or I may have found his site through this forum. Also I use gsak to transfer the info to my gps. Works great.

When you screwed it in right, was that with the cord going down the back? That's how mine is. Vista recognizes it using My Computer, but not through Geocache Manager. I'm going to try GSAK

Yes cord going down the back. Good luck with GSAK. Took me a minute to figure that one out but I eventually did.