Pocket Queries

Not the Mama!

Hi

My Pocket queries have stopped working... I didn't touch a thing! <_<

Checking the web site pocket query section, mine were last run on 3/10/2009. The 3 pocket queries are set to run daily.

I tried manually running them earlier this morning, but although they ran, I have not received them by email.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? :laughing:

What email provider do you use?

And if you preview the results are there caches listed?

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in my post - nothing has been changed. I had even forgotten how to get to the Pocket Query page!

I am using Cotse.net for the cache results. If I preview the results, the caches are listed as expected.

Hi

Checking the web site pocket query section, mine were last run on 3/10/2009. The 3 pocket queries are set to run daily.

I tried manually running them earlier this morning, but although they ran, I have not received them by email.

I just ran a PQ. It generated and showed up in my e-mail inbox within a minute. No problem here.

If the PQ is shown as being generated, but you have not received the email, then the issue is between your ISP and your email.

Many ISPs are known to throttle email from Groundspeak.

Thanks, Cotse don't throttle anything - unless I specifically blacklist a sender or use an expiring email address. As a test, I will whitelist the Groundspeak emails.

Please can someone give the the "from" address of the Pocket Queries?

BTW I have received the regular weekly newsletter email from Groundspeak.

Please can someone give the the "from" address of the Pocket Queries?

noreply@geocaching.com

As I mentioned in my post - nothing has been changed.

Yes I know, but since I don't know your PQ parameters you could have been searching for micro-sized letterboxes and you finally logged the last one within 500 miles. <_< A PQ with no results will run but no email will be delivered. Just needed to check. :laughing:

Edited by BlueDeuce

Your chances of getting exactly the same query run each and every day are not real good.

PQs are processed in reverse order from the last time they were run. A brand new PQ goes to the top of line and is run immediately. A PQ run 24 hours ago will be a long way down the list and may not run at all if the PQ server is busy.

Does your data have to be that fresh??

Best bet is to copy the criteria into a new query and run it if you must have the data right now.

Your chances of getting exactly the same query run each and every day are not real good.

PQs are processed in reverse order from the last time they were run. A brand new PQ goes to the top of line and is run immediately. A PQ run 24 hours ago will be a long way down the list and may not run at all if the PQ server is busy.

Does your data have to be that fresh??

Best bet is to copy the criteria into a new query and run it if you must have the data right now.

I've tried that, but I don't get the email. I've been running 3 PQs every day for the past year without issues until now.

Yes I know, but since I don't know your PQ parameters you could have been searching for micro-sized letterboxes and you finally logged the last one within 500 miles. :laughing: A PQ with no results will run but no email will be delivered. Just needed to check. :D

Ahh, quite right. I have 3x PQs. One with all my finds, one with my caches (I use these 2 with GSAK) & one with all caches in the local area that I've not found yet. That last one gets uploaded into my GPSr. :D

I've not been getting any of them. <_<

New ones are not the problem. It's the recurring ones that never get generated by the end of the day. Until Tuesday, GC.com seemed to be holding over that list of the previous days leftovers and generating them the next day. But that stopped on Tuesday. Now they seem to be dropped completely.

And, even though they haven't generated since Tuesday, they don't seem to move up the priority list.

Copying them and resetting the schedules seems to be the only option at the moment. That makes them new ones. But, doing this seems to invalidate the "recurring" schedule feature of the PQ page.

I run 9 PQs over a three day schedule, twice a week. So I get the full set of caches within 30 miles of home over a three day period. Can't do that anymore.

Now, I also have 3 PQs that are scheduled only once a week. They did generate yesterday and I received the e-mails. The standard ones on the 3-day cycle did not follow.

BTW - I use the word "generate" to mean that GC has run the query and updated the righthand column. That means the PQ server created the .zip file (with the two .gpx files within) and has sent it over to the e-mail server.

The e-mail server doesn't seem to be the problem this time (for me).

Gahh, I've recreated 2 of my queries, but when I tried my main one, I got server errors.

I have got the result from the first of my new queries. I think that this shows that Cache O Plenty's theory is correct. The issue is with old scheduled PQs & these must be recreated (copied, given a new main & rescheduled), then they will work. The issue appears to be nothing to do with emails or ISPs & everything to do with Groundspeak's database.

Hi

Ihave exactly the same problem

Any comment from Groundspeak who have doubled their membership fees this year?

Membership fees have not changed.

Edited to add... I am not sure about changes with your currency as it relates to the value of the US Dollar though.

Edited by mtn-man

Edited to add... I am not sure about changes with your currency as it relates to the value of the US Dollar though.

Indeed, doubled.

if they doubled because of the currency exchange, that is not Groundspeak's fault. They are still receiving the same amount of money in U.S. dollars. Perhaps you should have a word with your national government and discuss why their currency can't keep pace with the U.S. Dollar.

Indeed, doubled.

if they doubled because of the currency exchange, that is not Groundspeak's fault. They are still receiving the same amount of money in U.S. dollars. Perhaps you should have a word with your national government and discuss why their currency can't keep pace with the U.S. Dollar.

Actually the fees have increased. If you were paying $3/per month before, you now have to pay $10/3 months. A 11% increase. Of course if your paying annually, there have been no fee increase.

Jim

Groundspeak could bill in the customer's currency?

The rest of the world sincerely apologizes for the mess we are in.

Year -- Rate

2000 -- $1.52

2001 -- $1.44

2002 -- $1.50

2003 -- $1.64

2004 -- $1.83

2005 -- $1.82

2006 -- $1.84

2007 -- $2.00

Current: 1 British pound = 1.4582 U.S. dollars

Looks like it has gone down actually.

It would be nice if you would explain in detail what you are talking about regarding "doubling". The yearly rate is the same as it was from the beginning. You now have to buy in three month increments instead of monthly increments, but that fee has only caused an 11% increase, not 100%.

How are you paying for your membership?

What exactly did you pay last year?

What exactly did you pay this year?

If paying by a credit card, perhaps the credit card company doing the conversion to US Dollars is charging you much higher fees?

More details will get you an answer most likely.

Groundspeak could bill in the customer's currency?

The rest of the world sincerely apologizes for the mess we are in.

Why would they? Billing in their home currency is a well established international standard. The can accurately predict revenue without having to consider currency fluctuations.

For the record, I am in Canada. And our dollar has dropped with respect to the U.S. dollar but I don't expect Groundspeak to eat that.

For the record, I am in Canada. And our dollar has dropped with respect to the U.S. dollar but I don't expect Groundspeak to eat that.

Great point. When I buy geocoins from the Landsharkz in Canada, I have to live with whatever the daily conversion rate is. I've never thought it was anything to worry about since it is out of their control.

Great point. When I buy geocoins from the Landsharkz in Canada, I have to live with whatever the daily conversion rate is. I've never thought it was anything to worry about since it is out of their control.

Good news for me: Canadian dollar went up 1/2 cent today. My PM just got cheaper.

Sucks to be you: Coins just got more expensive. :ph34r:

Hey StaticTank,

I sent you an email via the site. Get back to me when you have a chance. Thanks :D

-Raine

I responded to your email earlier this morning. I thought I would respond here as well. I did not get that pocket query you referenced. Thanks for responding!

StaticTank

I too frequently have issues with my PQ's but only if I had run them before. All new PQ's generate almost immediately (within minutes anyway) however if I have a PQ that ran say sometime last month and I go into the PQ, tell it to run today, and submit, it seems to take hours or not at all.

I'm finding that I have to copy my PQ, delete the old one and run the copy. Then I get the PQ promptly.