Garmin Communicator doesn't work with Safari 4 PB

Has anyone else found that Garmin Communicator plug-in doesn't work with Safari 4 Public Beta? Is this unique to Safari 4PB or is it that Communicator plug-in won't work with any WebKit based browser, like Chrome?

Is there a fix for this? I'm forced to use Firefox or Camino to download new cache waypoints. Please, don't start a flame war over which browser is better than which. I'm looking for a fix/hack to make this work with Safari, my main browser. It won't work on my main alternative either, OmniWeb. Why is this plugin WebKit hostile?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Intel) and Safari 4 Public Beta (build 5528.16). I haven't tried on my PowerPC machine yet.

[by the way, I'm a Macintosh user and have found Garmin's help site to be Mac-hostile as well. One can't even e-mail them using their form if you are using a Macintosh. I've tried with Safari, Firefox, and OmniWeb (set to identify every browser). This isn't 1998, should all sites work with all browsers? Can't we all follow W3C rules here?! :D ]

The Garmin Communicator plug-in doesn't work with Safari 4 Public Beta. I've talked with a Garmin tech about this issue and Garmin doesn't support beta version browsers. The bug has also been reported to Apple so hopefully, once Safari 4 is released the plug-in will once again function. I use Firefox if I need to use the plug-in. I have used Firefox to email Garmin tech support without problems.

This plug-in isn't the only problem I've found with the beta version of Safari. I've had problems with other web-sites and had to use Firefox.

Since you also are a Macintosh user, check this site for info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331421

Doug in Alaska

iMac

The Garmin Communicator plug-in doesn't work with Safari 4 Public Beta. I've talked with a Garmin tech about this issue and Garmin doesn't support beta version browsers. The bug has also been reported to Apple so hopefully, once Safari 4 is released the plug-in will once again function. I use Firefox if I need to use the plug-in. I have used Firefox to email Garmin tech support without problems.

This plug-in isn't the only problem I've found with the beta version of Safari. I've had problems with other web-sites and had to use Firefox.

Since you also are a Macintosh user, check this site for info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331421

Doug in Alaska

iMac

It is a compatibility problem with WebCore, not Safari per se. It won't work with OmniWeb either, which uses WebCore as its rendering engine. Their "we don't support beta browsers" answer is a copout. Even their web-form e-mail system is hostile to WebCore. You can't even send their support team an e-mail saying you are having a problem!

Edited by Caoimhín

This is a known, but not absolute, problem. It has been discussed quite a bit on the macmap list. For reasons that I can't explain it works on my iMac and MacBook Pro, but not with anyone else on that list.

"macmap list"? Where is this list and how do I subscribe to it?

For me the plug-in does also not work with the Safari 4 final/release version, but this does the trick.

HTH,

Dirk

Don't know about PCs, but Flip4Mac is definitely the culprit. I ran the uninstaller, located in the Flip4Mac Folder (in applications) restarted Safari 4 and Communicator Plugin works fine.

Thanks for all your hep guys! I was started to get frustrated. :D

Edited by P's Baba