Asking other cachers for hints

What are the rules of etiquette regarding asking a fellow cacher for hints on a puzzle or mystery cache?

If you've emailed the cache owner to ask for a hint and they are not responding for some reason or other (but you know that they are usually amenable with giving out hints etc.), is it good cacher etiquette to approach someone else who found the cache and ask them for a hint on how to solve it?

Just curious.... I guess this goes for traditional caches too, and asking for hints on the location etc. if the original hint wasn't enough.

artemisworks

What are the rules of etiquette regarding asking a fellow cacher for hints on a puzzle or mystery cache?

If you've emailed the cache owner to ask for a hint and they are not responding for some reason or other (but you know that they are usually amenable with giving out hints etc.), is it good cacher etiquette to approach someone else who found the cache and ask them for a hint on how to solve it?

Just curious.... I guess this goes for traditional caches too, and asking for hints on the location etc. if the original hint wasn't enough.

artemisworks

When did you email? They could be on holiday, working away from home, out caching...

Or 10001 other reasons why they can't get back at this instant.

Unless the cache is new I cant see any reason not to contact the last few people who found the cache <_<

I have done this on countless occasion's and due to this have made load's of great friend's

Most CO's and cacher's are more than happy to help, I have had a reply 2 months after i sent an email :laughing:

No it's not. But that's just me.

I guess the real question is it proper etiquette to give away solutions on other people caches.

Hey, if the owner is amenable with giving out hints have at it.

artemisworks

If you know for a fact that the owner is OK with it then it should be OK. Most of the people giving the hint would know if this were true or not too.

Well, that's just it. If I were a cache owner with a puzzle cache, I wouldn't mind giving out hints to cachers trying to find it, but I'd be upset if other cachers were to give away outright solutions to the cache - I have control over my own hints to others, but not over what other cachers tell people. So, I guess I'd personally consider it somewhat rude unless I knew for a fact that other people were also just giving out hints, but not the outright answers.

But if I've read in the logs that the CO has given out hints to the first few finders, then I guess it is safe to assume that the CO is ok with giving out hints in general - and therefore if they are not replying, its only because of personal circumstances (1001 of them, I know)... so in this sense, I was wondering whether it was ok to approach another cacher, ask them for a hint and not the solution, and see how it goes?

I enjoy puzzle hints, but yes, some of them don't seem as obvious to me as some others, but I really, really want to get a hint in order to crack them anyway. <_<