EasyGPS vs GPS utility

I have been having a play around with EasyGPS and GPS utility but I am still finding my way around their features. I would prefer to concentrate on one program.

I would be grateful of thoughts and opinions about these 2 GPS software applications and any recommendations as to which one I should go with.

I use a Garmin etrex legend Hcx.

Cheers

Edited by Stanley Squelchers

My favoured program is Geocache Log and it maintains a log of all your 'found caches' all of the caches you want to find, 'all of the caches you have hidden'. It also handles the uploading of caches to your GPS it will also interogate your GPS after a day's caching and update your log from where you can access GC.com to post logs. It will also create various files for use in Memory Map with linked text files for use on a PDA. Plus as a bonus it will create updated stats for you whenever you wish, without waiting for that weekly PQ file from GC.com.

Thats about half of what it does.

AWWW :D

in the end its what you are comfortable with using, its all down to personal preference but most people use GSAK

Exactly the right answer! It is the program that you find best!

You can download them all to try. GSAK is the most popular because it does so much more - but it isn't free. But at $15 it isn't exactly expensive. It has a huge number of available macros (scripts) that let you export cache information in various formats (for example, I export a database of caches to my TomTom which shows caches by type - micro/trad/parking complete with icons on screen. Really handy driving to a cache).

Try them and decide.

Chris (MrB)

I really like the sound of being able to upload data to the tomtom to help get to caches. Can you talk me through it please?

download this macro http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry65366

open it with GSAK

run a macro and select tomtom

after selecting a few options it will export the files to a directory on your computer, you plug tomtom in and copt the file over

After installing the macro select Macro from the menu bar then Run/Manage and highlight TomTom.gsk. Click the Run button*. In the dialogue box that appears choose what you want to see. In the Export Directory box select a location on your PC to save the files to (you'll get several files so create a new directory for them is easiest). In the POI description put in how you want the cache to appear on the TomTom screen. Use the help to show you what the % codes mean. Then hit the Export button to create the files. Finally, connect your TomTOm to your PC and it will appear as a 'disk drive'. Copy the individual files created by the macro into the UK map directory on the Tom Tom. The caches then appear as a POI category when you use the TomTom.

Any probs or queries let me know!

*You can create your own toolbar buttons to run the macros much more easily ifyou want. GSAK help will tell you how.

Chris (MrB)

I think you can download garmin mapsource for free

Garmin's MapSource won't cost you anything. Nor, incidentally, will the MemoryMap map viewing software. It's the map data that cost an arm and a leg. Neither of the packages are any use without it :)

Edited by Pharisee