Starting travel bug etiquette

Penguin_ar

New not only to travel bugs, but also to geocaching, so I have two questions:

1. I know it's not a good idea to hide a cache until you've found quite a few, general suggestion seems to be at least 50 or 100, so you know about different hides etc. What about travel bugs (and to a lesser extent, geocoins)? Should one wait until one has some experience in geocaching before releasing any?

2. I recently moved from Ireland to Arkansas. I know some geocachers in Ireland, they always tried to get me involved but were unsuccessful until I got here :D Would it be ok for me to purchase a travel bug, activate it, then send it to a friend in Ireland to place it in cache there, rather than place it in a local cache here in Arkansas? I'd love to have one travel around Ireland to remind me of all the lovely places there. Another idea I had was to start two TBs, one here and one sent to a friend in Irelnd, and race them in opposite directions.

I often snailmail bugs to be released in other countries/locations, but before you send it off, take it caching locally and log it through a cache. That way the mileage starts from your location.

That whole find 50-100 before placing a cache thing is questionable, as it would be for travel bugs.

The absolute best thing to do is read through Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic. That will give you most of the things you will need to know to release your first bug.

My advice is to never release anything you are not willing to lose. Keep your expectations realistic and understand that bugs move very slowly. (I only hear from mine about once every three months) Don't spend all your time frustrated that someone has been holding your bug for two weeks. I know people who email holders after a couple weeks pushing them to move the bug. If your spending that much effort you are probably not enjoying the whole travel bug experience as much as you should. Release and forget'em. Be happy when you hear from them from time to time.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think Blue Deuce has covered it, with clarity and succinctness, as ever <_<

You can do whatever you like with your own travel bug, attach whatever you like, sent it whatever mission you like, mail it to whoever to start, keep it in your pocket and dip it through caches, only log it into events, change its mission mid-journey... just have fun with it!

It's probably better to release more than just one, then you don't get too hung up on what your only traveller gets up to...

Also, it's a good idea to put a photograph of the TB onto the TB page (make sure you don't show the TB tag number in the pic) because sometimes folks play silly tricks and remove your TB item and put something else on the tag instead. If there's a picture then other geocachers will realise that the item has been changed and (hopefully) will let you know.

We've just come back from a visit to Dublin, Ireland, after attending the 6+ Nations Event there. I was pleased to be able to drop off the Jalumi-fant TB as he's been on a mission to get to Ireland for a couple of years.

MrsB

Thanks! I just ordered 8 travel bugs (number purely based on the price break at 8 <_< ), and have designed for four already in mind (one sent to Ireland to travel around, then come to Arkansas; one starting here and travelling to Ireland, and one each named for my twins just travelling).

I have heard of dipping, but am a bit confused about it. Won't other geocachers be excited to see a coin/ TB on a cache page, and then disappointed when it's not there because I only logged it in the cache but didn't leave it there?

I have heard of dipping, but am a bit confused about it. Won't other geocachers be excited to see a coin/ TB on a cache page, and then disappointed when it's not there because I only logged it in the cache but didn't leave it there?

When you 'dip' a trackable item you log it into a cache, then immediately retrieve it again, so it only appears briefly in that cache (i.e. it will only be seen there if another cacher happens to look at that cache listing during that minute while your trackable is logged there). Some cachers do this with their own personal TB or geocoin to track their own mileage of all their geocaching jaunts.

MrsB

No, the bug would only be listed for as long as you leave it there. Typically you would drop the bug along with your found it note, then immediately access the bug page and Retrieve it back out. If you do it that way it's only showing on the page for a few seconds.

(Edit dang! a full two minutes too slow! <_< )

Edited by BlueDeuce