totally confused with GPS

103brandy

Just bought an etrex and can't find a way to enter the cache location into the gps.

Manufacturers instructions are vague or else we are thickies.

Can anyone helpplease?

To do it Manually, go to the main menu, move over to "Mark" and click it. This will mark your current location, then you can move to the different fields in the waypoint and edit them. It can also be loaded through the cable from your computer, but I've never bothered to learn this

I have the same unit. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The only this is that if you want to put in the cache number, it only will except 6 digits. Most cache's are 7 digits. Besides that, it works pretty good.

I'm waiting on my cable to arrive so I will be able to download from the web. If you don't have a 9 point serial port on your computer you'll need a USB Serial Converter. The cable cost $60 at garmin but you can get a better deal else where, like auction sights.

I have the same unit. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The only this is that if you want to put in the cache number, it only will except 6 digits. Most cache's are 7 digits. Besides that, it works pretty good.

I'm waiting on my cable to arrive so I will be able to download from the web. If you don't have a 9 point serial port on your computer you'll need a USB Serial Converter. The cable cost $60 at garmin but you can get a better deal else where, like auction sights.

Paid under $30 at "the sorurce" for the cable.

That's why it's a much better idea to get a USB unit (like eTrex Venture HC and higher models). USB cable is included, and about $1 if you need a spare. No converter needed (about $10 - $20) and much faster transfer speed. BTW the Venture HC has 14 characters for the waypoint name and 30 characters for the description.

As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to up grade. But right now, the cash flow isn't where I would like it to be. My old etrex works OK for now, at least until I get under some trees. Then Im pretty much on my own. Don't know what I'm going to do when the leaves grow in. <_<