DeLorme Support?

Got the PN40 as a gift on Feb 14th and within a short time it was dead as a brick. I called DeLorme and they tech said he was sending me another unit and I should have it within 2 days. BINGO the new unit was on my porch 2 days later. I was quite impressed as I hadn't even sent my unit back.

Fast forward to Feb 26th. The new unit is dead again. This time it seems to be a sporadic problem. It won't turn on sometimes, then if I play with the buttons enough it will eventually - or sometimes it turns right on. Obviously something is wrong with the on button.

I call DeLorme and the tech says he will take a new unit off the shelf himself, test it and send it to me. Two days later nothing. A week later, nothing. Meanwhile I sent my unit back and still nothing. Today I get the same unit back with a note that said "No issue observed, powers on correctly". No mention of any repair.

Well duh, it does work sometimes. That is why I sent it back.

So I call today and get a guy who keeps asking me if it is "now working". Yeah, it works NOW, but the reason I sent it back was that it doesn't work ALL THE TIME. Sporadic problem, HELLO!

He keeps asking me how he can fill "This out" - I guess "this" was some online form. "Does it work or doesn't it?" he repeated over and over. After some questioning he did admit to knowing the meaning of the word sporadic and says he'll get a supervisor to call me.

Meanwhile I'm out $25 for shipping the unit back twice and still don't have a unit that I can trust in the wild.

Here's to hoping the supervisor can straighten this out and get me a fully functional unit.

My, but you have had your share (and some) of problems with your PN-40! Sorry to hear this Briansnat, I hope everything is taken care of to your satisfaction!! Also gla to report this is truly an unusual experience (as far as I have seen anyways), and that my PN40 is working smoothly and flawlessly! (Not rubbing it in, my friend).

Waiting to see how DeLorme handle's this one!!

I wouldn't tag this specifically as a problem in their support department. You absolutely did get someone who didn't understand "sporadic" or "intermittent" or "sometimes" -- but that is probably not a symptom of problems in the whole company. Generally they're really very, very good.

BUT -- I think the problems you have are a symptoms of significant QC problems in the PN-40 model.

Now, before the legions of users who LOVE their little PNs and have never had a problem getting them to come up -- I'm very happy that YOURS is adequate. Not all of them are.

Search DeLorme's own forums and you'll find lots of reports about about units not powering up, intermittently or sporadically, or sometimes NOT AT ALL. And about not being able to get WAAS signals. And about some that don't get a lock at all. And the black wearing off the buttons. And so it goes.

I am on my second PN-40. The first one wouldn't get a fix at all, except sometimes if I left it on the back porch for half an hour. And it would lose is as soon as I picked it up or moved it.

The second one is much better - except that sometimes it won't see any sats when I power it up. Always clears up if I pull the batteries, press the switch to let whatever huge cap is in their drain, and then replace the batteries and power up again. It only happens about once a week and I haven't had a chance to call DeLorme on it. When the thing works it's still amazingly accurate - even without WAAS (which hardly ever works for me).

These are MY experiences with the product. Others are delighted with theirs, obviously - and I'm sure some folks who have some of these problems overlook them or work around them without complaining.

But consider how many similar issues ARE reported on DeLorme's own boards -- for a unit that's only been shipping for a few months without a large user population yet -- and it's not a pretty picture.

Highly unusual.

Unusual?………..no, not really……..historically predictable for Delorme.

THEY have decided that you don’t need a bigger screen.

THEY have decided that their units will only work with THEIR software. (in spite of what the customer needs)

THEY have decided that if you want to work with more file types, you must buy more software.

THEY have decided that you don’t need longer battery life. (even with small screen)

THEY have decided that you don’t need an external antenna.

THEY have decided that you really don’t need WAAS…except sometimes.

THEY have decided that whatever tracking accuracy you get is “good enough”

THEY have decided that you only need a GPS that works sporatically ?

Never fear, the Delorme cheering squad will surely try to convince you that “the check’s in the mail”……and remember now, you are supposed to believe it.

Even on the Delorme forums, the people that “just love their’s”, and have had no problems, regularly add an “except for……..” qualification. Kinda like reading the fine print on medications.

It’s amazing what some people are willing to “settle for”.

Yes, I HAD one. (PN-40)

No, I don’t HAVE one.

RETURNED- Cute little colored TV, but definitely Not a serious tool.

...so what is the serious tool that you use?
Y'know, THAT is a subject for a whole different thread.

But I own SEVERAL "serious tools" and work with quite a few more than I personally own. The PN-40 is absolutely my choice for Geocaching - even though I hesitate to make that recommendation for all the "new product/QC/teething pain" matters I outlined earlier.

Elsewhere, personally? Bicycling/hiking: eTrex Legend HCx. Urban commuting and everything else: iPhone. And if Apple (or anyone) ever figures out how to make a ruggedized iPhone, IPX7 waterproof, with day-long battery life under heavy use, and a way to preload maps instead of relying entirely on the cellular data -- then both the DeLorme and Garmin will be on eBay within minutes. Unless D & G or come up with something even better by then (NuviPhone? PN-100x?).

Oh, I'll probably keep my Blackberry too. Not because I ever USE the danged thing, but my boss says I should have it.

Edited by lee_rimar

Well I received a call from the supervisor today. He said they are overnighting me a new unit and I should have it tomorrow.

It's just that this essentially what was promised two weeks ago (except for the overnight part).

If I receive it as promised and it is a working unit, they are back in my good book.

Edited by briansnat

Highly unusual.

THEY have decided that their units will only work with THEIR software. (in spite of what the customer needs)

THEY have decided that if you want to work with more file types, you must buy more software.

THEY have decided that you don’t need longer battery life. (even with small screen)

Never fear, the Delorme cheering squad will surely try to convince you that “the check’s in the mail”……and remember now, you are supposed to believe it.

Even on the Delorme forums, the people that “just love their’s”, and have had no problems, regularly add an “except for……..” qualification. Kinda like reading the fine print on medications.

Yes, I HAD one. (PN-40)

No, I don’t HAVE one.

Really? Or was it we who decided we could live with all that you say they decided for us? It is a choice after all, if you don't want that, you're free to make another choice! That's the beauty of personal preference, we can choose what makes us happy! :mad:

Can I ask though, what is the need for an external antenna? I get 6' accuracy quite often and have seen 5' many times as well. Now, 5' from what will be what many will say, but I am more than happy with my accuracy! One day, I will check it against a benchmark though, so I can answer that question!

I am sorry to hear of your problems! I happen to love my "cute little colored TV", but that's my choice! :D I wonder, did Garmin's releases of the CO and OR go without a snag or two??

Back to the topic though, good luck Briansnat, third time's a charm?? Will keep watching!

Perfect, make your own:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=216581

Highly unusual.

Yes, I HAD one. (PN-40)

No, I don’t HAVE one.

WOW man, this is about the customer service, not what you dislike.

Brian, did you get it yet?

Edited by benjamin921