found an unactive bug

steve 69

is there someone that i can contact to fined out were this bug belongs.

i went to log it and this is what is say's The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system

yes i entered the number correctly.

Ive already contacted the people that found the cash before me and it was not in there when thy looked in or they would have grabbed it. that was a month prier to me. it seem to appear in that cache all buy itself.

this is a nice bug and im sure they would like to know were it is.

is there someone that i can contact to fined out were this bug belongs.

i went to log it and this is what is say's The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system

yes i entered the number correctly.

Ive already contacted the people that found the cash before me and it was not in there when thy looked in or they would have grabbed it. that was a month prier to me. it seem to appear in that cache all buy itself.

this is a nice bug and im sure they would like to know were it is.

Assuming you got the numbers correct... There is the possiblity it hasn't had a drop log yet... some take their time and others are very fast...

I tried to devine what cache it was from your history... and flopped, care to enlighten us...

Also assume that there might be info other than the tracking number... don't give that here...of course.

Is there a name tag, could you describe it, photo, whatever...

It may be that you have to contact eartha or some other to use the tag tracking number eventually, but what fun is that... I love mysteries... By the way I found one by way of searching your history...

I've got the Travel bug seems to have had a failed drop back in january, which is why you had to grab that one... someone didn't have the method right about dropping... logged in the cache log but no drop...

Thanks for that, I sent them a note on possibly fixing their log...

Doug

My advice is to put yourself on the "Watch List" for the cache you found it in and keep watching it for a while. Then contact the next few people to post letting them know you found an unactivated TB in the cache and if they can describe it to you, then it must be theirs. Wait at least a month and if you still can't find the owner, then I say it's yours and just send in a request for an activation code.

Have the same problem, found a travel bug and it's not activate. I locate it a week ago at the only cache near the Romeo & Julieta Castle, Montechio M, Italy. It's a nice Malachite Butterfly. I held it for a week, and finally drop it off at the Marostica Chess cache, where every two years, the largest live human Chess game is played. I look thru the Log and couldn't find anyone logging it. Thnks

Same thing, although I can't for the life of me remember which cache it came from since we have had it for 2-3 months. It is just an unactivate TB on a lanyard. Do I throw it away, or is there a way to get an activation code?

Don't throw it away! We can get it activated but I'd like to investigate a few things first.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Aurgh, I tried replying via a mobile device and it did not go through.

I cannot find any TBs that match the number, the description, or any possible names. I searched cache logs that recent finders had visited, and didn't see any fishing bears anywhere.

It could be someone released this without knowing they had to activate it. Unactivated, it is useless. You can send an email with the tracking number on the tag to contact @ geocaching .com, explain the situation, ask for an activation code, and release it yourself. If anyone claims it you can adopt it back to them using the www.geocaching.com/adopt link.

This also applies to any other trackables in this situation.

I don't think Groundspeak keeps track of which tag numbers are sent to which buyers. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so because the buyer isn't always the owner in the long run.

I'd like to thank everybody for there help. but the outcome did not come out to well. i contacted geocaching .com this is what they said.

Hello,

Thank you for sending the pictures. Unfortunately, nothing came up in our system. It appears that the incorrect code is due to a manufacturing error, which would explain why you found it unactivated.

My suggestion would be to dispose of the bug so that others don't come across it and try to log it.

so now i will hang the lost bug on my wall. maybe one day someone will write about there lost bug in the The Official Travel Bug Obituary....

I'd like to thank everybody for there help. but the outcome did not come out to well. i contacted geocaching .com this is what they said.

Hello,

Thank you for sending the pictures. Unfortunately, nothing came up in our system. It appears that the incorrect code is due to a manufacturing error, which would explain why you found it unactivated.

My suggestion would be to dispose of the bug so that others don't come across it and try to log it.

so now i will hang the lost bug on my wall. maybe one day someone will write about there lost bug in the The Official Travel Bug Obituary....

Add a note to the cache where you found it. The owner might be on a watch list or check the cache later to see what happened it it.

Bill