Feature Request for the Geocaching.com Google Map page

kdv

I often use the Geocaching.com Google Map and I think it's great. But it would be really perfect if , in addition to the checkboxes that allow you to exclude from view your own hides and the caches you've already found, another similar checkbox to exclude from view all the caches on your ignore list (I guess by definition this would be a Premium feature, since the ignore list is a Premium feature also).

I use my ignore list mainly to include caches that I have placed as part of my team, that includes several cachers, each with their own individual account). When I have been present during the placement of a team cache, I don't think it makes sense to go back there the next day (or ever) to score a smiley, so as soon as these caches are published I put them on ignore. However, in the Geocaching.com Google Map view there is no way for me to prevent them from showing up.

Of course others may use the ignore list for other purposes, but I think this new feature would be beneficial to all ignore list users.

I often use the Geocaching.com Google Map and I think it's great. But it would be really perfect if , in addition to the checkboxes that allow you to exclude from view your own hides and the caches you've already found, another similar checkbox to exclude from view all the caches on your ignore list (I guess by definition this would be a Premium feature, since the ignore list is a Premium feature also).

I use my ignore list mainly to include caches that I have placed as part of my team, that includes several cachers, each with their own individual account). When I have been present during the placement of a team cache, I don't think it makes sense to go back there the next day (or ever) to score a smiley, so as soon as these caches are published I put them on ignore. However, in the Geocaching.com Google Map view there is no way for me to prevent them from showing up.

Of course others may use the ignore list for other purposes, but I think this new feature would be beneficial to all ignore list users.

The reason why caches are placed on the Ignore List is a completely different topic. The fact is, what you are asking for should be pretty basic. The way that I see it, if I put something on my ignore list, I should never see it again. I shouldn't see it in a map, on a search list or in a notification email. It seems to me that the only current useful purpose of the Ignore List is to be able to exclude caches from a Pocket Query. Extending the Ignore List to other search areas of the website only seems logical.

<snip>

It seems to me that the only current useful purpose of the Ignore List is to be able to exclude caches from a Pocket Query. Extending the Ignore List to other search areas of the website only seems logical.

<snip>

The ignore list is currently also applied in the "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)" link.

Thanks kdv- I was coming in here to specifically request the same thing! I use the google maps feature as my jumping off point for planning caching trips, and the ability to toggle off my ignored caches would be a very logical feature. In fact, the first time I used the ignore feature I thought I had done something wrong since they were still on my map. Shouldn't ignore mean ignore?

Thanks also for the info about the ignore list beng applied in the (filter my finds) link. Simply rewording the name of the link to (filter my finds and ignored caches). I had no idea that it would apply there. That is a seperate issue, but an even easier fix.

I use ignore for any caches I don't want to search for with my children. There are many reasons, including terrain, stealth factor, homeless camps/trash, P&G.... I have four kids ages 6-11, so I am pretty picky. The ability to pull up the map page and only see the ones I plan on doing would be invaluable to us. They love seeing those smilies on the map and being able to relate the map to a memory.

The ignore list is currently also applied in the "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)" link.

That's fine but for those that rely on the Google maps for planning and navigation it would be nice to print a clean map of the caches of the day rather than having to take the time to clutter it up with a bunch crossed off cache icons. Even a checkbox to delete a cache from the map beside each cache listed in the table to the right of the map would be a help.

Edited by edscott

Bouncing this back to the top in the hope that others may see the logic of it and perhaps it might get on the list of things to do. There are very few features included in the premium membership that are really useful to me, but this one would be in the top three.

Add my name to the list of those requesting this feature. As well as adding a quick "Ignore Listing" button to each cache on the map. The multiple screens/clicks required to ignore a single cache is WAAAYY to cumbersome. For me to ignore the chaff caches just within 20 miles of home would take me DAYS with the current system.

Add my name to the list of those requesting this feature. As well as adding a quick "Ignore Listing" button to each cache on the map. The multiple screens/clicks required to ignore a single cache is WAAAYY to cumbersome. For me to ignore the chaff caches just within 20 miles of home would take me DAYS with the current system.