I Want to Organize a Group Find for a Cache

brenda&&rew

HI Gord!

Thanks for the info about what the marina had to say. And good luck with the 6/49! If you win can I come help you shop for the new boat!! I would love to get one of my own too so I could live vicariously through you. :laughing:

Hopefully we will come up with a solution that would not involve us crossing our fingers and hoping for a win!

And when we find that solution it would be good to have you come along too. Whatever it is it won't be an expensive one. I am looking for a low budget too.

I just saw your topic, BrendaH, (I don't go to the Forums that often) and have had Long Point Bird Lookout on my watchlist ever since the cache was listed. I called a marina in Port Rowan to rent a motorboat -- just a simple 12-footer. But when I told them I wanted to take it out to Long Point, they said it wouldn't handle the rough water that far out and said they wouldn't rent it for that.

I assume also the 9 person pontoon boat rental that doesn't require a boating license would never be allowed out there too.

I assume also the 9 person pontoon boat rental that doesn't require a boating license would never be allowed out there too.

I was wondering that too. Eelow was the one that had offered the suggestion and had not heard back from the rental place. I wonder if there has been a response yet. I will see if I can find out from Eelow.

It was suggested a few weeks ago to post a note on the cache page, si I am going to do that today to see if anyone else can help us out. There may be someone(s) that is watching that page that has a boat(s) that would like to be part of this but does not not read the forum.

This sounds like a wonderful idea for an event and we would love to come over from Buffalo if one is set up. We have a 16' Starcraft, but I don't have the necessary navigation aids/radios to be legal on the lake. Plus she turns 21 this year and while I think she could make it to the point, I don't want to find out what would happen if we got started and then we ran into engine trouble. I would not want to see her take on a 4-foot wave either, so if we can find one to rent then we would be happy to pitch in for the excursion.

Still watching this one.

Maybe it isn't all lost and things could still happen this summer.

I am going to keep this in mind and talk to a few friends that have boats or know someone that has a boat big enough.

I am wondering if some of the tour boats in the area would be interested. They have 60 or 70 foot tour boats that should be able to get close enough and then shuttle everyone in via a smaller boat.

If it is a tour boat we could fit 20 or 30 people and maybe the cost would be reasonable then.

Just a thought.

Let me talk to my cousin who took me out to the point in his boat. He lives in Port Rowan and he would know the right people that could make this happen, if it's possible (for such a large group).

Thanks Hiker T!

Glad you are still watching this thread.

I would think that a few of the best locations to start would be Port Dover, Turkey Point or Port Rowan.

Port Dover would probably be one of the better spots to start for parking.

Although Turkey Point looks like it is probably better for being in the inner bay. Less waves.

Does the water\lake around the area freeze, making it possible to walk\ski\snowshoe to it? I remember doing some caches along Lake Erie a few years ago and we decided to walk out on the frozen lake and there were many people even further out on the lake than we ventured.

Swim to it? (summer of course)

I am still interested too in whatever affordable way there is to get there.

We took the boat out from Port Rowan and I believe there is ample parking close by the marina. We went to the Point, walked around a bit, then took the boat back via a detour to Turkey Point. It was about a 3 hour tour... :rolleyes: I think Port Dover is too far a trip if you're looking for something economical.

Let me talk to my cousin who took me out to the point in his boat. He lives in Port Rowan and he would know the right people that could make this happen, if it's possible (for such a large group).

Thanks hikerT! Much appreciated. I don't see it being too big of a group... and can be limited to what it needs to be.

Thanks again!

Swim to it? (summer of course)

Eeek. Wikipedia says that's a 40km swim. You'll make the newspaper for that swim! (Also pretty dangerous currents at the point I believe)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Point,_Ontario

yep.... it is not advised to swim it at all... the currents there are unpredictable and can change at any moment.

And walking it if it froze would be a great idea... but it is too far.

I will keep it in mind that you want to go, res!

Ok I talked to my cousins today. They have a neighbour who does fishing charters out of Port Rowan and the boat can fit about 20 people. Apparently they will take a group out to the point, and you don't have to fish, unless you wanted to do that too... If someone steps forward to organize this you can contact me and I'll give you the name and number, and a bit more information.

Seems quite affordable too, and that included the bait! :blink:

Edited by hikerT

Ok I talked to my cousins today. They have a neighbour who does fishing charters out of Port Rowan and the boat can fit about 20 people. Apparently they will take a group out to the point, and you don't have to fish, unless you wanted to do that too... If someone steps forward to organize this you can contact me and I'll give you the name and number, and a bit more information.

Would sure make an interesting GHMGC meetup ....

Would sure make an interesting GHMGC meetup ....

I will contact you seperately tomorrow Hiker! I can continue to try to organize this with your assistance. I had tried to get something going last year but nothing ever happened! What a difference a year makes. Thanks for doing all that!

I will contact you seperately tomorrow Hiker! I can continue to try to organize this with your assistance. I had tried to get something going last year but nothing ever happened! What a difference a year makes. Thanks for doing all that!

I contacted HikerT already... just thought I would update that ;)

I also already have a list of a few people that are interested in going. If you are interested please let me know via email (begenuineme@hotmail.com) and I will see what I can organize. Of course, if you go you have to help pay for the cost of the day.

Edited by brendah

I contacted HikerT already... just thought I would update that :)

I also already have a list of a few people that are interested in going. If you are interested please let me know via email (begenuineme@hotmail.com) and I will see what I can organize. Of course, if you go you have to help pay for the cost of the day.

To repeat what I already posted in case it was missed... please contact me directly (begenuineme@hotmail.com) if you are interested in going.

I do not have a date yet but it will not be until the warmer months so that we can enjoy the day out; and I have no idea of cost yet; but I do know that most spots are taken!

Thanks for all of the interest!

Edited by brendah