I Want to Organize a Group Find for a Cache

brenda&&rew

Hi all~

There is a cache in Long Point, Ontario which is not far from my place that I would like to log a find for but accessing cache by normal means (driving to a parking area and walking in) is out of the question. The property is a World Biosphere Reserve and is protected from the public - access is prohibited.

The only way to access this cache is by boat and the boat must be able to handle the conditions of a great lake - weather conditions often change without notice making using a canoe (which I would do if it was possible) unsuitable.

So here is the question... is there a cacher out there that already has a suitable boat in the area (or would not mind bringing it to the area) that would be willing to team up with my husband (Andrew) and I to go find the cache.

In return for the use of your boat, I would provide the picnic lunch that we could eat on the beach after we find the cache! We could even team up to find other caches in the area as well. It could be a great day of caching!

The cache is "Get to the Point" GCXJWE. It is a traditional cache with a level 2 for difficulty but a level 5 for terrain.

If there are a few cachers that would like to join in we could make it a bigger group day of it... although I would need assistance in making the picnic!!!!

I am pretty flexible on time too... sometime when it is warmer where spending the time on the beach would be enjoyable :o . We can discuss the timing of it when those that are interested are found!

Looking forward to the adventure!

:laughing:

Hi all~

There is a cache in Long Point, Ontario which is not far from my place that I would like to log a find for but accessing cache by normal means (driving to a parking area and walking in) is out of the question. The property is a World Biosphere Reserve and is protected from the public - access is prohibited.

The only way to access this cache is by boat and the boat must be able to handle the conditions of a great lake - weather conditions often change without notice making using a canoe (which I would do if it was possible) unsuitable.

So here is the question... is there a cacher out there that already has a suitable boat in the area (or would not mind bringing it to the area) that would be willing to team up with my husband (Andrew) and I to go find the cache.

In return for the use of your boat, I would provide the picnic lunch that we could eat on the beach after we find the cache! We could even team up to find other caches in the area as well. It could be a great day of caching!

The cache is "Get to the Point" GCXJWE. It is a traditional cache with a level 2 for difficulty but a level 5 for terrain.

If there are a few cachers that would like to join in we could make it a bigger group day of it... although I would need assistance in making the picnic!!!!

I am pretty flexible on time too... sometime when it is warmer where spending the time on the beach would be enjoyable :o . We can discuss the timing of it when those that are interested are found!

Looking forward to the adventure!

:laughing:

I would like to help but I do not have a few million dollars to buy some property out there

you could wait for the Pottahawk Party and walk from boat to boat

Just kidding, But I have been out the once ot twice BC (Before Caching) we lived in Delhi.. fishing for Bass,,

But we live on Cape Breton Now

Thanks for the Pottahawk suggestion, stagunner... that sounds like lots fun but wouldn't I still need a boat to participate? :D

Landsharkz... nice, very very nice! Too bad you are not docked close enough :huh:

JP... I already have a canoe, and had considered doing it that way but I don't think that it would work out very well on Lake Erie. The lake is very rarely calm enough to canoe it! It could be nice weather but the water be rough. Plus I don't live close enough to just go to check the water to see if today would be a good day.

Canadakate... I will let you know if anything pans out or if I just keep getting these jokers!!! :mad::huh::huh:

I was thinking of just walking along the shore in the water all the way there!

Edited by brendah

JP... I already have a canoe, and had considered doing it that way but I don't think that it would work out very well on Lake Erie. The lake is very rarely calm enough to canoe it! It could be nice weather but the water be rough. Plus I don't live close enough to just go to check the water to see if today would be a good day.

I still say canoe :D

The point itself would block most of the nasty waves on the lake, approach on the north side of the point and sick close to shore. You only have to do wave dodging as you get close to the point, and around the bend!

oh well - I dont have a boat, i will shut up :mad:

Landsharkz... nice, very very nice! Too bad you are not docked close enough :D

brendah... If you come to the west coast, we'll make sure you get some terrain 5 caches :mad: Mr. LS was out last Sunday and on the way home from Genoa Bay, under clear blue skies, it started snowing on them! I guess that was some sort of weather phenomenon.

Ok, back to this cache at hand...I think you could canoe to this cache if you were with an experienced paddler, a double kayak would be fine too, they're pretty stable. I'd actually choose the kayak over the canoe, but that's because we're kayakers (lake and sea).

Is there a webcam where you can see the water conditions anywhere nearby on the Lake? We have some webcams here for some of our beaches and they come in very handy if we're thinking of heading out for recreation and not sure what its actually like down at the waterfront.

Maybe a boat isn't the only way. How about a jetski? They could handle the rough water better and would be a ton of fun to boot. You might be able to find a place that rents them for the day.

(I don't live anywhere close and don't have the equipment. Just trying to help out.)

I saw that TOMTEC keeps this cache in his bookmarks list of "Canoe caches". Maybe he knows more. Kayaking out there would interest me too. However, judging from the Google map, one way seems to be at least 25K. At bit much for a one day return trip.

Maybe a boat isn't the only way. How about a jetski? They could handle the rough water better and would be a ton of fun to boot. You might be able to find a place that rents them for the day.

(I don't live anywhere close and don't have the equipment. Just trying to help out.)

Good idea webscouter... if a group find does not pan out then maybe I will check out the jetski idea! Thanks.

I saw that TOMTEC keeps this cache in his bookmarks list of "Canoe caches". Maybe he knows more. Kayaking out there would interest me too. However, judging from the Google map, one way seems to be at least 25K. At bit much for a one day return trip.

Yeah... I was thinking that it was too far too but I would not want to do it in a canoe. Our's is for using in rivers and small lakes.

But I do appreciate everyone's suggestions!!

WOW I did not realise it was that far out on the point, You could not walk to it,, to many small islands and swampy parts.

I was at Bluff point years ago , by boat of course. from Turkey Point...

This sounds like a good excursion,, it would be lots of Fun

we might be doing the Scaterie Island hike again this summer,,see the Scaterie Island Day trip event

Hey stagunner... thanks for the link to the Scaterie Island cache. I see that it is an event... maybe if it is happening when my family and I are out there in July, we will check it out, although I see it was in August last year.

Do we all need our Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) to operate these this summer or is it still youth only? I know we need one to operate the engine on the dinghy, but not for the sailboat :D .

Do we all need our Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) to operate these this summer or is it still youth only? I know we need one to operate the engine on the dinghy, but not for the sailboat :D .

Ohhh... good question! I would have to check that out...

I am still holding out that there has to be one cacher out there (in my area) that has a boat and is interested... I am willing to wait. There is lots of time before it will be quite warm enough to go anyway. Once the boat gets there we would have to wade in because there would be no dock. I am hoping that the water would be warmer when doing that part!

I still say canoe :D

The point itself would block most of the nasty waves on the lake, approach on the north side of the point and sick close to shore. You only have to do wave dodging as you get close to the point, and around the bend!

oh well - I dont have a boat, i will shut up :mad:

That would be a lot of paddling,, it is a long point!!

The inner bay is is shallow and the waves can get big, depending on which way the wind is from,,

Be prepared if you go this method.. I have seen it go from calm to 3-4 foot waves in a few hours

WOW I did not realise it was that far out on the point, You could not walk to it,, to many small islands and swampy parts.

I was at Bluff point years ago , by boat of course. from Turkey Point...

This sounds like a good excursion,, it would be lots of Fun

we might be doing the Scaterie Island hike again this summer,,see the Scaterie Island Day trip event

Hey stagunner... thanks for the link to the Scaterie Island cache. I see that it is an event... maybe if it is happening when my family and I are out there in July, we will check it out, although I see it was in August last year.

You are welcome, it might go off again if there are cachers who want to go , It is not much trouble to get the boat booked, as long as it is after Lobster season,,, wehn are you visiting?

Do we all need our Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) to operate these this summer or is it still youth only? I know we need one to operate the engine on the dinghy, but not for the sailboat <_< .

I am still holding out that there has to be one cacher out there (in my area) that has a boat and is interested... I am willing to wait. There is lots of time before it will be quite warm enough to go anyway. Once the boat gets there we would have to wade in because there would be no dock. I am hoping that the water would be warmer when doing that part!

Brenda, what about posting a note on the cache page (when the weather starts to improve)?

Cachers who are thinking of doing this cache (but don't read the forums) will see that you're looking for company and to hitch a ride.

Do we all need our Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) to operate these this summer or is it still youth only? I know we need one to operate the engine on the dinghy, but not for the sailboat :rolleyes: .

Brenda, what about posting a note on the cache page (when the weather starts to improve)?

Cachers who are thinking of doing this cache (but don't read the forums) will see that you're looking for company and to hitch a ride.

I just re-read the extremely long logs of the guys who sailed across the Lake from Erie Pa. Those are some of the greatest logs I've ever read. I know the one guy [name redacted] and met Kordite briefly at an event.

But other than them, just a few locals have found it, who obviously have boats. Maybe they'd be interested in a return trip? And I agree, post a note to the cache page. Most geocachers have never even looked at these forums.

Thanks for the great idea about posting a note to the cache page... thanks for thinking of that! I will definitely do that when the nicer weather gets here!!!

Stagunner... we have no set date yet as to when we are coming out East although it will be in July. We just have not decided what day we are going to leave to get there. We plan on stopping in PEI for a few days first and then going by the ferry over to Cape Breton after that. We probably would be in Cape Breton during the week of July 12.

We plan on stopping in PEI for a few days first and then going by the ferry over to Cape Breton after that.

Where is the ferry route from PEI to Cape Breton ? Surely you'll pass through Pictou ? Or are you headed to Les Isles de La Madeline. rather than Cape Breton ?

You are right. The ferry goes into Pictou. I missed that step.

We are taking the ferry to Pictou and then driving to Cape Breton.

We plan on stopping in PEI for a few days first and then going by the ferry over to Cape Breton after that.

Where is the ferry route from PEI to Cape Breton ? Surely you'll pass through Pictou ? Or are you headed to Les Isles de La Madeline. rather than Cape Breton ?

You are right. The ferry goes into Pictou. I missed that step.

We are taking the ferry to Pictou and then driving to Cape Breton.

WOW that is going to be a good trek, Loads of caches on PEI now, ( but I have not found any)

You have to do the unofficial 3 provinces in 60 minutes challenge, NB, NS PEI it can be done.

Isle de La Madeline ferry runs from PEI, there has been talk of a group bike n seek week trip to those islands someday.

Have a great trip!!!

If you decide to walk it along the shore or even along some of the trails that I see on the maps, let me know as I and I am sure others would be interested too. It's only about 28km one way. It would make for a nice adventure\challenge. Atleast there's no hills to deal with. Maybe contact the park and see if walking along the shore (or trails) is permitted.

If you decide to walk it along the shore or even along some of the trails that I see on the maps, let me know as I and I am sure others would be interested too. It's only about 28km one way. It would make for a nice adventure\challenge. Atleast there's no hills to deal with. Maybe contact the park and see if walking along the shore (or trails) is permitted.

I was not being completely serious when I said I was going to walk there! Besides there are sections of the Point that no public may access. The roads/trails I believe are only for those that work there. I have never been any further than the eastern edge of the provincial park. I have heard that there is actually a "fence" across the beach that states No Trespassing.

I don't know much more about the area besides that it is a protected World Biosphere Reserve.

Although I am always in for a caching adventure, I am going to hold out for a boat and take the adventure that way!

Edited by brendah

I contacted a couple of people and pretty much got the same answers as follows:

The land beyond the park boundary is private and belongs to the Long Point Company (a hunting club).

Beyond that, the land is Canadian Wildlife Service land which is off limits.

A canoe is possible as long as the winds are calm, but the currents at the tip are strong. Motor boat is recommended. Walking in the water would be too slow and tuff probably. No camping or campfires on the point.

I'm still interested in going one way or another. Canoe most of the way along the shoreline and then dock the canoe near the point? I know that's a long canoe ride though. Put a small motor on the canoe?

Edited by res2100

Long Point.....First, some background. About 1980, my father, brother, and I attempted a sail to long point in out Snipe (16ft boat). We were dismasted and were towed back to the boat ramp at Turkey Point (I think that's where it was). My father, in subsequent years, attempted to walk to the end of the point but never made it. It was one of those obsessions with him.

In the summer of 2007 he launched the sailboat he had been building for 23 years! :) I was going to head out that summer and sail the boat with him to Long Point but postponed it until summer 2008. That was one of my biggest regrets, as he passed away suddenly in May 2008.

This summer in August, once I'm finished sailing to the Queen Charlotte's, I'll be flying back to Ontario and sailing his boat to Long Point to scatter his ashes. I'll probably spend some time cruising around the area, so if you haven't completed it by then, I'll PM you with a plan. I, too, will do this cache while there.

I was co-FTF on this cache with Marion (Hunter and the Hownd). We made the trip out to the point on a VERY calm afternoon. If I recall correctly, it was a 30-40 min leisurely boat ride from Port Rowan. We docked on shore close to the lighthouse on the east side. Be slow and careful on approach as there are some large cement blocks submerged near shore, you don't want to get stuck out there with a hole in your boat!

I can't imagine anyone canoeing out there, but then again I am not a canoer...

And it is impossible to walk through as another poster already commented... there is private land and you cannot pass through. Although I have heard mention of it, I am not sure if anyone has actually attempted to walk in the water to bypass that area.

Edit to add: Apparently the boat ride there was about an hour long.

Edited by hikerT

I attempted a while back to acquire a boat to get to this cache before it was found. Never did get anywhere. I would be in for sure though if a boat was obtained.

Perhaps renting a boat w/captain is an option? I'd be happy to pay a small portion of that fee to get out there!

I've got an email in to them to see the cost. I am guessing that a day rental shared between up to 9 people could be done!

Cool... that would be a great idea... and would be interested in doing that too! Although Urkel has a good idea too about making sure that one has been taking out to the Point before, just to make sure it is safe to do so.

Thanks for looking into the cost.

I've got an email in to them to see the cost. I am guessing that a day rental shared between up to 9 people could be done!

Cool... that would be a great idea... and would be interested in doing that too! Although Urkel has a good idea too about making sure that one has been taking out to the Point before, just to make sure it is safe to do so.

Depending on the date, I'm interested in this little adventure (possibly with Kitten).

Depending on the date, I'm interested in this little adventure (possibly with Kitten).

Me too... (no comment on the 'with Kitten' part though)

:ph34r: BQ

We have a 17 foot Legend and I think that would do the job, it has a 25hp merc big foot motor. We have not had much chance to use it yet. It is a matter of timing. We would love to do it and probably make a weekend camping out of it. If you haven't found anyone yet let us know...hey we have a couple of canoes and could get a good group out for a paddle!

I have not been on lately (work gets in the way of pleasure!) but it is great to see that my new geo-friends are interested in getting together on this!!!

Mishsteveous... I have not found anyone with a boat yet so if you are interested in volunteering yourself and boat that would be great!

I just want to repeat that canoes are not safe at the Point or I would just be doing it that way... we also have a canoe.

Eelow... It would be great if you keep looking into the renting of the boat.

Maybe we could get a couple of boats going out there with everyone chipping in some money toward the rental and Mishsteveous' gas for the boat (if he is still intersted in getting in on this) and lunch. It would be a great day!

I would love to talk about it further at the spring fling. Although I will not be there until late Saturday morning so no making of any decisions before i get there!!!!! :blink::blink:

I would love it if others with a Long Point worthy boat posted here if they were interested in getting in on this too... keep the discussion going!

There is no way we would be able to canoe that far anyway, my husband and I are lucky if we canoe 20 feet in a straight line, we are used to quiet bodies of water and using them for leisure paddles or a little fishing in the more remote spots. Our boat will hold 4 - 5 max preferred 4 (we have a 9 lb poodle who takes up most of the space). We would love to go out to this spot (providing the boat is suitable), love to take everyone but the boat won't hold us all, the rental thing sounds good to make a group out of it. We should be going to Spring Fling too, we don't know anyone yet, we are newbies but are hooked. We are Mish and Steve

I will see if I can load a pic of the boat and maybe you will be able to see if it suitable if you are still interested.

Great picture stagunner!! Love it.

Diemanca--- great idea... but that is a bit scarey!! LOL

And good question... how would we we leave :)

Easy, Brenda! Make sure that the PFD is inflated, the exposure suit is fully zipped up, and float on the waves, until we reach land. :lol:

I just saw your topic, BrendaH, (I don't go to the Forums that often) and have had Long Point Bird Lookout on my watchlist ever since the cache was listed. I called a marina in Port Rowan to rent a motorboat -- just a simple 12-footer. But when I told them I wanted to take it out to Long Point, they said it wouldn't handle the rough water that far out and said they wouldn't rent it for that.

I'd be interested in joining any group outing if it's not to expensive.

I will be buying a boat and be happy to bring anyone along -- provided I win the $40,000,000 6/49 jackpot tomorrow!