Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets...

Slightly off-topic but I'm off to Berlin soon and would like to use the OSM map of Berlin in my 60Cx. How do I get the downloaded XML file into the 60, please?

I have a file that works exactly as Talky Toasters GB mapping.

I can't remeber where I got it. But it worked very well in Berlin.

I could try to send it to you.

Or not.

If interested I can send you my a PM.

If not. No worries.

Edited by JoLuc

Hi,

Slightly off-topic but I'm off to Berlin soon and would like to use the OSM map of Berlin in my 60Cx. How do I get the downloaded XML file into the 60, please?

You can't just download raw OSM data to your device it needs to be compiled and converted to Garmin format.

I do offer maps in both standard and OS 1:50K look n Feel, complete with contours for most countries in Garmin format, if you buy a pre-loaded and tested card from me the maps are plug and play.

More details of the countries I offer can be found on my website at http://talkytoaster.co.uk/order.htm

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Hi,

You can't just download raw OSM data to your device it needs to be compiled and converted to Garmin format.

I do offer maps in both standard and OS 1:50K look n Feel, complete with contours for most countries in Garmin format, if you buy a pre-loaded and tested card from me the maps are plug and play.

More details of the countries I offer can be found on my website at http://talkytoaster.co.uk/order.htm

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for the info... I managed with an old, out of date copy of City Navigator Europe but I will remember to check with you next time I go anywhere in Europe.

For all those interested:

Another week and another set of updates...the 14th one for 2013!

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest British Isles map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB and Ireland mapsets have been discontinued as they are superseded by the British Isles mapset, and as I now offer the OS 1:50K Look n Feel I have too many mapsets to try and squeeze in to my very limited spare time as these all take significant amounts of time to compile, assemble and test, not to mention uploading to the site:

The full British Isles mapsets come with contour data [the Scottish Mountaineering Club contours have been replaced by new 10m contours I compiled from raw NASA SRTM data] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 130712 [the old ones are prefixed with 130629] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 12th July 2013.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled. Some more tweaking has also been done, and will continue to be done. These are no longer considered experimental.

The new 10m contours solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. The new contours are set at 10M intervals, so offer better resolution than the old Scottish Mountaineering Club ones. Both mapsets now have rendered sea, but without any of the issues experienced with the SMC contours previously used.

The contours have now had the Voids fixed and have been regenerated.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://talkytoaster.co.uk

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles, but also routable versions without contour data.

All of the latest maps have been compiled using an updated compiler which has an improved routing engine.

More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

Details and the maps can be found here: http://talkytoaster.co.uk/ukmaps.htm

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

CAVEAT: No mapping solution is perfect.

From OpenStreetMap:-

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 550, Etrex Vista Hcx and a Etrex 30 [the full British Isles versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

All feedback and comments are most welcome.

A big thank you to all of you that have given feedback or made suggestions (polite ones ;)) on how to improve the maps and/or my site. Keep them coming.

An even bigger thank you to those that have supported my site via a donation. It is really appreciated and helps to keep the site going and shows me that my efforts in compiling and making these mapsets available are appreciated.

Please be aware that some unscrupulous individuals have been selling my maps via car-boot sales and also on eBay. They have been offering my very old OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets and selling them as OS mapsets. The OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets include material I produced which is copyrighted. I offer them as FREE for personal use. Buying these maps from these unethical individuals means that you get inferior products, and they, and anyone who buys the maps from them, jeopardize the future of this project.

The original OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapset I created has now lost the EXPERIMENTAL tag; the routing is still unique and these will never be recommended for use as a road sat-nav.

However, I have released a NEW EXPERIMENTAL mapset using the OS 1:50K Look n Feel that should route in the same way as my standard mapset. You can find them on my site (clearly marked as EXPERIMENTAL), all feedback is most welcome.

The "original" talkytoaster.info site is now mirrored at talkytoaster.co.uk and talkytoaster.com (this adds a second physical hosting server in the UK, effectively adding redundancy to the existing, original one in the US). I will continue to run both servers as long as I can afford to.

The maps also now work directly in BaseCamp when the GPS with them installed on is connected to a computer with BaseCamp installed. This means that the separate BaseCamp version will only be updated monthly (or less often than that).

The maps now include the published date as part of the internal map name and the OS 1:50K Look n Feel version also includes Cycleway numbers and names. Other changes can be found in the change log page of my site.

This update does not include new BaseCamp/MapSource versions specifically for PC/Mac. They do include new versions GPSr versions including a new EXPERIMENTAL road routing OS 1:50K look n Feel mapset. Please let me know if it works well, or not.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 15th one for 2013!

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest British Isles map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB and Ireland mapsets have been discontinued as they are superseded by the British Isles mapset, and as I now offer the OS 1:50K Look n Feel I have too many mapsets to try and squeeze in to my very limited spare time as these all take significant amounts of time to compile, assemble and test, not to mention uploading to the site:

The full British Isles mapsets come with contour data [the Scottish Mountaineering Club contours have been replaced by new 10m contours I compiled from raw NASA SRTM data] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 130809 [the old ones are prefixed with 130712] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 9th August 2013.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled. Some more tweaking has also been done, and will continue to be done. These are no longer considered experimental.

The new 10m contours solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. The new contours are set at 10M intervals, so offer better resolution than the old Scottish Mountaineering Club ones. Both mapsets now have rendered sea, but without any of the issues experienced with the SMC contours previously used.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles, but also routable versions without contour data.

All of the latest maps have been compiled using an updated compiler which has an improved routing engine.

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 550, Etrex Vista Hcx and a Etrex 30 [the full British Isles versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

A big thank you to all of you that have given feedback or made suggestions (polite ones ;)) on how to improve the maps and/or my site. Keep them coming.

An even bigger thank you to those that have supported my site via a donation. It is really appreciated and helps to keep the site going and shows me that my efforts in compiling and making these mapsets available are appreciated.

Please be aware that some unscrupulous individuals have been selling my maps via car-boot sales and also on eBay. They have been offering my very old OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets and selling them as OS mapsets. The OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets include material I produced which is copyrighted. I offer them as FREE for personal use. Buying these maps from these unethical individuals means that you get inferior products, and they, and anyone who buys the maps from them, jeopardize the future of this project.

The original OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapset I created has now lost the EXPERIMENTAL tag; the routing is still unique and these will never be recommended for use as a road sat-nav.

However, I have released a NEW EXPERIMENTAL mapset using the OS 1:50K Look n Feel that should route in the same way as my standard mapset. You can find them on my site (clearly marked as EXPERIMENTAL), all feedback is most welcome.

The "original" talkytoaster.info site is now mirrored at talkytoaster.co.uk and talkytoaster.com (this adds a second physical hosting server in the UK, effectively adding redundancy to the existing, original one in the US). I will continue to run both servers as long as I can afford to.

The maps also now work directly in BaseCamp when the GPS with them installed on is connected to a computer with BaseCamp installed. This means that the separate BaseCamp version will only be updated monthly (or less often than that).

The maps now include the published date as part of the internal map name and the OS 1:50K Look n Feel version also includes Cycleway numbers and names. Other changes can be found in the change log page of my site.

This update does not include new BaseCamp/MapSource versions specifically for PC/Mac. They do include new versions GPSr versions including a new EXPERIMENTAL road routing OS 1:50K look n Feel mapset. Please let me know if it works well, or not.

There is a tile leak in London that means that part of south London has a blue background. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next few weeks. This doesn't affect the maps as such, it is just a display issue. The 130629 prefixed mapsets do not have this issue.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 16th one for 2013!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 130816 [the old ones are prefixed with 130809] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 16th August 2013.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 17th one for 2013!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 130830 [the old ones are prefixed with 130816] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 30th August 2013.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

I've just tried the latest version of the OS 1:50K style on my GPSMAP 60CSX and all roads draw at all zoom levels regardless of the detail setting. This makes the map just about impossible to use when zoomed out as all the land is just covered by roads. The same problem also occurs in Basecamp.

EDIT: Just tried 130816 and it has the same problem. It is just Minorhighways that display at all zoom levels. Other road types seem to work correctly.

Edited by NickMackz

Another week and another set of updates...the 18th one for 2013!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 130920 [the old ones are prefixed with 130830] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 20th September 2013.

Hope this helps?

These are NOT sat-nav maps, so don't expect post-code level routing or routing performance to be the same as commercial sat-nav maps and solutions. They are, however, great for walking, and that was my intention in developing and offering the maps.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 19th one for 2013!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 131012 [the old ones are prefixed with 130920] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 12th October 2013.

Hope this helps?

These are NOT sat-nav maps, so don't expect post-code level routing or routing performance to be the same as commercial sat-nav maps and solutions. They are, however, great for walking, and that was my intention in developing and offering the maps.

This update includes colour changes of the contours on the OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapset.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 20th one for 2013!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 131102 [the old ones are prefixed with 131012] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 2nd November 2013.

Hope this helps?

This update includes new BaseCamp/MapSource versions specifically for PC/Mac. They also include new versions GPSr versions including a new EXPERIMENTAL road routing OS 1:50K look n Feel mapset. Please let me know if it works well, or not.

This update includes minor style changes to the OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapset.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 21st one for 2013!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 131130 [the old ones are prefixed with 131102] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 30th November 2013.

Hope this helps?

This update does NOT include new BaseCamp/MapSource versions specifically for PC/Mac. They include new versions GPSr versions including a new EXPERIMENTAL road routing OS 1:50K look n Feel mapset. Please let me know if it works well, or not.

Regards,

Martin

Bad news, I'm afraid:

I've been informed that my copyrighted maps are being sold on eBay yet again!

Therefore as of today I am no longer offering my OS 1:50K Look n Feel maps as free downloads. I will continue to offer the standard maps for FREE, but I will in future only offer the OS 1:50K Look n Feel maps for sale.

Apologies to all the honest people out there. As usual a few are ruining it for everyone!

I hate to have to do this, but these thieves on eBay have stolen over £9K of sales from me (not that I make anywhere near that from sales of map cards via my site), they have also damaged my reputation by offering older versions that are not supported and damaged my reputation in the process.

Apologies for the rant, but I've had enough.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 22nd one for 2013!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 131213 [the old ones are prefixed with 131130] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 13th December 2013.

Hope this helps?

This update does NOT include new BaseCamp/MapSource versions specifically for PC/Mac. They include new GPSr versions.

Please note: The OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets are no longer offered as free downloads, this change is due to copyright theft. They are now only available as either a one off electronic download, on a MicroSD card or as a subscription service. All of these options are paid. I know this will not go down well with some of you, but I've spent 5 years developing these maps and I am not prepared to put up with selling or re-selling of my maps via car boot sales and eBay. Yes, I have contacted both eBay and those responsible and as usual eBay do nothing despite their promises.

The Standard mapsets will continue to be offered as free downloads for now.

Regards,

Martin

Bad news, I'm afraid:

I've been informed that my copyrighted maps are being sold on eBay yet again!

Therefore as of today I am no longer offering my OS 1:50K Look n Feel maps as free downloads. I will continue to offer the standard maps for FREE, but I will in future only offer the OS 1:50K Look n Feel maps for sale.

Apologies to all the honest people out there. As usual a few are ruining it for everyone!

I hate to have to do this, but these thieves on eBay have stolen over £9K of sales from me (not that I make anywhere near that from sales of map cards via my site), they have also damaged my reputation by offering older versions that are not supported and damaged my reputation in the process.

Apologies for the rant, but I've had enough.

Regards,

Martin

Martin

Don't apologise, you were very restrained. I think many of us have enjoyed and benefitted from all your hard work over the years so a big thank you goes out to you, and completely understand and support the new regime.

Best

Another week and another set of updates...the 1st one for 2014!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 140110 [the old ones are prefixed with 131213] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 10th January 2014.

Hope this helps?

This update does NOT include new BaseCamp/MapSource versions specifically for PC/Mac. They include new GPSr versions.

Please note: The OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets are no longer offered as free downloads, this change is due to copyright theft. They are now only available as either a one off electronic download, on a MicroSD card or as a subscription service. All of these options are paid. I know this will not go down well with some of you, but I've spent 5 years developing these maps and I am not prepared to put up with selling or re-selling of my maps via car boot sales and eBay. Yes, I have contacted both eBay and those responsible and as usual eBay do nothing despite their promises.

The subscription site for the OS 1:50K Look n Feel maps is up and running and can be found here http://subscription.talkytoaster.co.uk

The Standard mapsets will continue to be offered as free downloads for now.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Martin,

My Garmin Etrex 20 cannot cope with 2 contour maps installed at the same time. I used to have both the original and the OS 1:50K routable but no contours installed. I cannot see an option to buy the non contours version on the subscription page or am I supposed to use the A-1E option and choose UK ?

Hi,

Martin,

My Garmin Etrex 20 cannot cope with 2 contour maps installed at the same time. I used to have both the original and the OS 1:50K routable but no contours installed. I cannot see an option to buy the non contours version on the subscription page or am I supposed to use the A-1E option and choose UK ?

Just download the FREE standard map set without contours and that will solve the problem when used with the OS 1:50K Look n Feel contours map set.

This is explained in the FAQ on my site (see point 3a).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hi,

Martin,

Just download the FREE standard map set without contours and that will solve the problem when used with the OS 1:50K Look n Feel contours map set.

This is explained in the FAQ on my site (see point 3a).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Ah yes that makes sense.

Edited by Bertrum

Another week and another set of updates...the 2nd one for 2014!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 140201 [the old ones are prefixed with 140110] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 1st February 2014.

Hope this helps?

The subscription site for the OS 1:50K Look n Feel maps is up and running and can be found here http://subscription.talkytoaster.co.uk The maps on there are updated most weeks.

The Standard mapsets will continue to be offered as FREE downloads for now. However these will only be updated about once a month.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 3rd one for 2014!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 140307 [the old ones are prefixed with 140201] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 7th March 2014.

Hope this helps?

The subscription site for the OS 1:50K Look n Feel maps is up and running and can be found here http://subscription.talkytoaster.co.uk The maps on there are updated most weeks.

The Standard mapsets will continue to be offered as FREE downloads for now. However these will only be updated about once a month.

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...the 4th one for 2014!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 140411 [the old ones are prefixed with 140307] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 11th April 2014.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hi! I just upgraded my GPSr to the Garmin GPSMAP 64, it comes with the OS GB Discoverer 1:50k Map.

Excuse my ignorance as I've only been able to use either a basemap on my basic GPSr or the standard google earth maps on my smartphone, but what differences are there between your subscription OS look and feel maps and the one I'm getting? I'm going to be using my GPSMAP 64 mainly for caching but also for hiking and possibly some off the beaten path stuff so I just wanted to know what kind of advantages I can get from this mapping.

Edited by LucasEVille

Hi! I just upgraded my GPSr to the Garmin GPSMAP 64, it comes with the OS GB Discoverer 1:50k Map.

Excuse my ignorance as I've only been able to use either a basemap on my basic GPSr or the standard google earth maps on my smartphone, but what differences are there between your subscription OS look and feel maps and the one I'm getting? I'm going to be using my GPSMAP 64 mainly for caching but also for hiking and possibly some off the beaten path stuff so I just wanted to know what kind of advantages I can get from this mapping.

You could always add a second map, free or paid, to your unit and then switch to and fro between them and see if there is any difference.

You could always add a second map, free or paid, to your unit and then switch to and fro between them and see if there is any difference.

I find the OSM map complements the OS map and usually have both switch on. I find the most useful feature is that the OSM map often has actual tracks which are in addition to the official rights of way.

Another week and another set of updates...the 6th one for 2014!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB and Ireland mapsets have been discontinued as they are superseded by the British Isles mapset, and as I now offer the TT 1:50K Look n Feel I have too many mapsets to try and squeeze in to my very limited spare time as these all take significant amounts of time to compile, assemble and test, not to mention uploading to the site:

The updated ones are prefixed with 140613 [the old ones are prefixed with 140509] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 13th June 2014.

The latest TT 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled. Some more tweaking has also been done, and will continue to be done. These are no longer considered experimental.

Hope this helps?

Please be aware that some unscrupulous individuals have been selling my maps via car-boot sales and also on eBay. They have been offering my very old TT 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets and selling them as OS mapsets. The TT 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets include material I produced which is copyrighted. I offer them as FREE for personal use. Buying these maps from these unethical individuals means that you get inferior products, and they, and anyone who buys the maps from them, jeopardize the future of this project.

The original TT 1:50K Look n Feel mapset I created has now lost the EXPERIMENTAL tag; the routing is still unique and these will never be recommended for use as a road sat-nav.

Please note: The TT 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets are no longer offered as free downloads, this change is due to copyright theft. They are now only available as either a one off electronic download, on a MicroSD card or as a subscription service. All of these options are paid. I know this will not go down well with some of you, but I've spent 5 years developing these maps and I am not prepared to put up with selling or re-selling of my maps via car boot sales and eBay. Yes, I have contacted both eBay and those responsible and as usual eBay do nothing despite their promises.

The subscription site for the TT 1:50K Look n Feel maps is up and running and can be found here http://subscription.talkytoaster.co.uk The maps on there are updated most weeks.

Since moving to the subscription model for the TT 1:50K Look n Feel style maps, I have had NO piracy via eBay.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster