Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets...

I did find that for driving they're too cluttered, and as they route down footpaths/bridleways I ended up removing them as I sometimes use the GPS navigation to get me to the start in the car.

Marty, you don't need to remove them as you can have different maps on different profiles so all you need to do is switch profiles and use one for one set of maps for car navigation and the other for walking where it can be useful that they route down footpaths. This is a trick I only recently learned from Martin.

I did find that for driving they're too cluttered, and as they route down footpaths/bridleways I ended up removing them as I sometimes use the GPS navigation to get me to the start in the car.

...you can have different maps on different profiles...

I don't think the Vista HCx does profiles, at least I couldn't find it in the docs and there's nothing obvious on the setup screens - unless you know different, in which case how do I select/switch profiles?

I don't think the Vista HCx does profiles, at least I couldn't find it in the docs and there's nothing obvious on the setup screens - unless you know different, in which case how do I select/switch profiles?

I don't think it does either (I have the Legend HCx which is similar, and it doesn't have profiles - at least not that I can see!)

Edited by redsox_mark

For all those interested:

Another week and another set of updates...

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB mapset has been discontinued as it is superseded by the British Isles mapset:

The Ireland mapset I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120210 [the old ones are prefixed with 120127] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 10th February 2012.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://talkytoaster.info

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data.

It also includes an updated and reworked 1:50K 'Look and Feel' mapset (which gives a similar look as that found on OS 1:50K Landranger maps) for the British Isles; these are still experimental and the routing is not advised for motor-vehicles as it includes footpaths and bridleways. This has taken a significant amount of time to clean-up and improve. Thanks for all the feedback.

All of the latest maps have been compiled using an updated compiler which has an improved routing engine.

More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

I have versions of the British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

Details and the maps can be found here: http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

CAVEAT: No mapping solution is perfect.

From OpenStreetMap:-

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

All feedback and comments are most welcome.

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer). Unfortunately as my 'spare' time is very limited so far this year I haven't managed to update the records page. Anyone submitting records should ensure that they supply a bookmark of the caches in their record.

I have reorganised the map page on the site to hopefully make it easier to find which mapset you want and updated the compatibility table with new models reported to work.

There probably won't be any new maps this coming weekend as I'm away on business, yet again!

Regards,

Martin

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB mapset has been discontinued as it is superseded by the British Isles mapset:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120224 [the old ones are prefixed with 120210] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 24th February 2012.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data.

All of the latest maps have been compiled using an updated compiler which has an improved routing engine.

I have versions of the British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer). Unfortunately as my 'spare' time is very limited so far this year I haven't managed to update the records page. Anyone submitting records should ensure that they supply a bookmark of the caches in their record.

I have reorganised the map page on the site to hopefully make it easier to find which mapset you want and updated the compatibility table with new models reported to work.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin,

Now that I got used to them I must say I like these new maps on my GPSmap60CSx. They do get a bit blocky but are great when you zoom in. Can I be a bit lazy though and ask if you know where I can find a legend for the maps. I was puzzled to find a solid heavy green appearing on my GPS. Having got home and checked on Mapsource I discover it is a hedge or wall. A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Kind regards

David

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120309 [the old ones are prefixed with 120224] and should be available 9th March 2012.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

David,

Thanks Martin,

Now that I got used to them I must say I like these new maps on my GPSmap60CSx. They do get a bit blocky but are great when you zoom in. Can I be a bit lazy though and ask if you know where I can find a legend for the maps. I was puzzled to find a solid heavy green appearing on my GPS. Having got home and checked on Mapsource I discover it is a hedge or wall. A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I will see what I can do. At the moment I have no spare time to do anything with the OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets, but I will do some more work on them when I can.

Seems I've messed up the style files somehow over the last few weeks (not any of the published mapsets), so I'll have to reset back to an earlier version and start again :blink:

Regards,

Martin

.......I'll have to reset back to an earlier version and start again

Yes please Martin, when you can spare the time. Like factotem my vote definitely goes to your OS style maps, they're brilliant for walking!

Your wish is granted, I've just uploaded new versions of the OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets after spending some considerable time recreating the style files and hopefully fixing a number of glitches and applying some suggestions along the way. :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Regards,

Martin

You know heres how I see it, this all sounds really good so I follow the instructions and download the maps I want and everything goes fine so I unzip then and rename and then send them to the micro sd card, I then fit the sd card to my Garmin GPSMAP 62st and can I get it to use the sd card, can I s**t, I cant even find it and now i'm tired and wanting to throw everything against a wall and couldn't care any more, why do things like this never just work easy they always seem to give nothing but hassle, does anyone else feel the same or is it just me, if anyone can help me out of this mess please reply before I wreck another computer and endanger the lives of my wife and kids again, please !!

You know heres how I see it, this all sounds really good so I follow the instructions and download the maps I want and everything goes fine so I unzip then and rename and then send them to the micro sd card, I then fit the sd card to my Garmin GPSMAP 62st and can I get it to use the sd card, can I s**t, I cant even find it and now i'm tired and wanting to throw everything against a wall and couldn't care any more, why do things like this never just work easy they always seem to give nothing but hassle, does anyone else feel the same or is it just me, if anyone can help me out of this mess please reply before I wreck another computer and endanger the lives of my wife and kids again, please !!

Hello There,

I can't comment on the 62 model but there is a lot of helpful information HERE

Don't throw the puter and gps against the wall that could still endanger the lives of your wife and kids. Just parcel them up and send them my way please, I'll pay for postage.

Why does it happen? That's life!

Regards

Bernard

It is quite straightforward, but can seem daunting the first time.

1. Download the mapset, then unzip it to say, C:\MAPS

2. Rename the file in that folder to GMAPPSUP.IMG (if you can't see the IMG extension on the file, don't add it, as it won't work on your Garmin GPSr then).

3. Create a GARMIN directory on the MicroSD card (if one doesn't already exist). This can be done via USB Mass Storage Mode (card still in the GPSr), or via taking the MicroSD card out and using it in your PC (assuming it has a card reader/writer slot for SD/MicroSD).

4. Copy the renamed file (the one you unzipped and renamed at point 1) from C:\MAPS to the GARMIN folder on your MicroSD card.

5. Insert the card back into your Garmin GPSr (if you were not using Mass Storage Mode), otherwise Eject the GPSr from Windows as normal.

6. Turn on your Garmin and the maps should auto-load at this point.

7. Enjoy!

If you get stuck the common problems are discussed in detail in the FAQ on my site. Otherwise, send me an email and I'll see what I can do to help you personally. Please be aware that I'm away in Denmark again all next week.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

We really appreciate your hard work and the great maps.

We run the maps on our Garmin HCX and it is fine.

We also have an old IPAQ and wonder if there is some Garmin emulator software so we can 'see' the maps on the IPAQ. We use memory map on the IPAQ but are going to Australia so would like to use openstreet.

Any ideas?

Peter

We also have an old IPAQ and wonder if there is some Garmin emulator software so we can 'see' the maps on the IPAQ. We use memory map on the IPAQ but are going to Australia so would like to use openstreet.

Any ideas?

This might work for Windows Mobile: http://navicomputer.com/

For Android I'd recommend Locus Pro with the Vector Maps Add-on https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro&hl=en

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120316 [the old ones are prefixed with 120309] and should be available 16th March 2012.

Hope this helps?

I've also updated the shop page to cover the newer Garmin GPSr models (Etrex 10/20/30, Montana 600/650, etc.)

A big thank you to all of you that have given feedback or made suggestions (polite ones ;)) on how to improve the maps and/or my site. Keep them coming.

There won't be any new maps next weekend as I'm away on business again in Denmark next week.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Martin,

Just downloaded 120316-British-Isles-GMAPSUPP and it appears to be corrupt, so either my download has failed or there's a problem with it. Will try again later :)

Thanks for pointing that out, seems that just one of the files got truncated, uploading a new (complete) version now. Should be ready for download by no later than 14:00 today.

Sorry about that.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120330 [the old ones are prefixed with 120316] and should be available 30th March 2012.

Hope this helps?

I've also updated the shop page to cover the newer Garmin GPSr models (Etrex 10/20/30, Montana 600/650, etc.)

A big thank you to all of you that have given feedback or made suggestions (polite ones ;)) on how to improve the maps and/or my site. Keep them coming.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120413 [the old ones are prefixed with 120330] and include all changes to OSM British Isles data as at the 13th April 2012.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120420 [the old ones are prefixed with 120413] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 20th April 2012.

<b>This update also includes new EXPERIMENTAL versions of the OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets; these have been cleaned up further and the roads have been thinned. More work is still required.</b>

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120427 [the old ones are prefixed with 120420] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 27th April 2012.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...even compiling and uploading them on my Birthday :rolleyes:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120511 [the old ones are prefixed with 120427] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 11th May 2012. This includes new OS 1:50K Look n Feel versions.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120525 [the old ones are prefixed with 120511] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 25th May 2012. This includes new OS 1:50K Look n Feel versions.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less).

This update also some a NEW contours only map, created from scratch and a British Isles routable mapset that also uses them. These are EXPERIMENTAL, and solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. Please let me have any feedback as I would like to ideally switch to them in future. The new contours are set at 10M intervals.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120601 [the old ones are prefixed with 120525] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 1st June 2012.

This update also offers a NEW contours only map, created from scratch and a British Isles routable mapset that also uses them. These are EXPERIMENTAL, and solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. Please let me have any feedback as I would like to ideally switch to them in future. The new contours are set at 10M intervals.

Hope this helps?

An even bigger thank you to those that have supported my site via a donation. It is really appreciated and helps to keep the site going and shows me that my efforts in compiling and making these mapsets available are appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Just in case anyone is wondering why there have been no maps for a few weeks; I've been away on business and will be away in Denmark next week (working). Things are pretty manic at the moment.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed around the 30th of June.

If anyone has tested the new 10m contour only map or the experimental 120525-British-Isles+Contours-Routable-10m-GMAPSUPP.img mapset can they please let me have their feedback as I'm considering using the new 10m contours for all the British Isles mapsets I offer.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Martin

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest British Isles map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB and Ireland mapsets have been discontinued as they are superseded by the British Isles mapset, and as I now offer the OS 1:50K Look n Feel I have too many mapsets to try and squeeze in to my very limited spare time as these all take significant amounts of time to compile, assemble and test, not to mention uploading to the site:

The full British Isles mapsets come with contour data [the Scottish Mountaineering Club contours have been replaced by new 10m contours I compiled from raw SRTM data] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120629 [the old ones are prefixed with 120601] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 29th June 2012.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled.

The new 10m contours solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. The new contours are set at 10M intervals, so offer far better resolution than the old Scottish Mountaineering Club ones.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles/, but also routable versions without contour data.

I have versions of the British Isles mapset which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

The contour data now in use is from the NASA SRTM project.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 and an Etrex 30 [the full British Isles versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

An even bigger thank you to those that have supported my site via a donation. It is really appreciated and helps to keep the site going and shows me that my efforts in compiling and making these mapsets available are appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest British Isles map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB and Ireland mapsets have been discontinued as they are superseded by the British Isles mapset, and as I now offer the OS 1:50K Look n Feel I have too many mapsets to try and squeeze in to my very limited spare time as these all take significant amounts of time to compile, assemble and test, not to mention uploading to the site:

The full British Isles mapsets come with contour data [the Scottish Mountaineering Club contours have been replaced by new 10m contours I compiled from raw SRTM data] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120706 [the old ones are prefixed with 120639] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 6th July 2012.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled.

The new 10m contours solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. The new contours are set at 10M intervals, so offer far better resolution than the old Scottish Mountaineering Club ones.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles/, but also routable versions without contour data.

I have versions of the British Isles mapset which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 and an Etrex 30 [the full British Isles versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Please be aware that some unscrupulous individuals have been selling my maps via car-boot sales and also on eBay. They have been offering my very old OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets and selling them as OS mapsets. The OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets include material I produced which are copyrighted. I offer them as FREE for personal use. Buying these maps from these unethical individuals means that you get inferior products, and they and anyone who buys the maps from them jeopardize the future of this project.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full British Isles mapsets come with contour data [the Scottish Mountaineering Club contours have been replaced by new 10m contours I compiled from raw NASA SRTM data] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120720 [the old ones are prefixed with 120706] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 20th July 2012.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled. Some more tweaking has also been done,and will continue to be done.

The new 10m contours solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. The new contours are set at 10M intervals, so offer better resolution than the old Scottish Mountaineering Club ones.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200, Etrex Visat Hcx and a Etrex 30 [the full British Isles versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

As there is now a new site that offers lots of statistics and records, I am going to discontinue the current UK Geocaching Records pages that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer).

Please be aware that some unscrupulous individuals have been selling my maps via car-boot sales and also on eBay. They have been offering my very old OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets and selling them as OS mapsets. The OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets include material I produced which are copyrighted. I offer them as FREE for personal use. Buying these maps from these unethical individuals means that you get inferior products, and they, and anyone who buys the maps from them, jeopardize the future of this project.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full British Isles mapsets come with contour data [the Scottish Mountaineering Club contours have been replaced by new 10m contours I compiled from raw NASA SRTM data] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120727 [the old ones are prefixed with 120720] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 27th July 2012.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled. Some more tweaking has also been done,and will continue to be done.

The new 10m contours solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. The new contours are set at 10M intervals, so offer better resolution than the old Scottish Mountaineering Club ones. Both mapsets now have rendered sea, but without any of the issues experienced with the SMC contours previously used.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200, Etrex Visat Hcx and a Etrex 30 [the full British Isles versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

As there is now a new site that offers lots of statistics and records, I am going to discontinue the current UK Geocaching Records pages that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer).

Please be aware that some unscrupulous individuals have been selling my maps via car-boot sales and also on eBay. They have been offering my very old OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets and selling them as OS mapsets. The OS 1:50K Look n Feel mapsets include material I produced which are copyrighted. I offer them as FREE for personal use. Buying these maps from these unethical individuals means that you get inferior products, and they, and anyone who buys the maps from them, jeopardize the future of this project.

Regards,

Martin

As with others could I also pass on my thanks for all your work on these, and for sharing. Simple fantastic. Thank you so much!

In part these maps where one of reasons why I have just "upgraded" from a 60csx to an etrex 20.

Anyway in case anyone else has been trying to do this (and actually on hindsight it was obvious why it didn't work) but I don't think on a "separate profiles" device (e.g etrex 20) that you can load all of these at the same time.

1. UK contours file

2. British isles (without contours)

3. New look and feel version

Obvious really as I now understand that the contours file (1. above) is essentially included in the new look version, and so conflicts on the gps boot up. Talkytoasters FAQ deals nicely with the situation where you might just want 2. and 3. above, but not also 1. [Talkytoaster, I also confirm that the FAQ is spot on for an etrex 20, which you might already expect if a 30 works]

What I was trying to achieve was having profiles:

a - basemap with just contours (for pure "uncluttered" walking purposes)

b - British Isles without contours

c - British Isles with contours

d - New look - as it is simply awesome in detail

Not a great issue, but had me scratching my head for a bit. I've just removed the new look beta for the moment.

Edit: and before someone asks I tried "both" versions of the new look files - but both seemed to include contours. I'm not at my normal PC but I think there were the 20120720 versions.

Edited by TastyMarmots

Yes. Thank you for the maps. I have managed to install the set onto my Vista HCx and it makes things so much better.

I am having problems getting the map set to work with Basecamp for the Mac. I download the appropriate set and unzip it. This creates a gmapi file which I then double click and it launches MapManager. The link to the screen shot shows that there is nothing on the Install these maps dialog box. There is nothing to install and I'm getting nowhere! Any help and advice from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Biggles 4

https://picasaweb.google.com/100111268881766100114/August172012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I forgot to add that I am on an Intel iMac running OSX 10.6.8 and BaseCamp 3.3.2.0

Edited by biggles1234

Didn't know there was a thread on the maps, I downloaded the standard and the look n feel maps for my pretty little Dakota 20 and love them! Incredibly useful. Am using the OS map at the moment :) Does fine for small amounts of road navigation too (not tried for longer, only use it for between caches really). Not bothered with contours for now, though if I start doing walking where they'd be useful I will.

Thanks for the great maps :D

Yes. Thank you for the maps. I have managed to install the set onto my Vista HCx and it makes things so much better.

I am having problems getting the map set to work with Basecamp for the Mac. I download the appropriate set and unzip it. This creates a gmapi file which I then double click and it launches MapManager. The link to the screen shot shows that there is nothing on the Install these maps dialog box. There is nothing to install and I'm getting nowhere! Any help and advice from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Biggles 4

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

I forgot to add that I am on an Intel iMac running OSX 10.6.8 and BaseCamp 3.3.2.0

Hello Biggles1234,

I just noticed no ones yet answered your query, I don't use a Mac. However I had a look at the instructions to download to a Mac and the only thing I can think of to give your problem is that MapManager is not pointed at the unzipped gmapi file. It can't be determined from your screenshot if you are pointing at the correct file so you could just make sure of this point. Sorry I can't help more.

Regards

Bernard

Hi,

The problem is that you need to unzip the enclosed gmapi file to somewhere and then run the MapManager on that file,it will then work.

Regards,

Martin

Hi,

As with others could I also pass on my thanks for all your work on these, and for sharing. Simple fantastic. Thank you so much!

In part these maps where one of reasons why I have just "upgraded" from a 60csx to an etrex 20.

Anyway in case anyone else has been trying to do this (and actually on hindsight it was obvious why it didn't work) but I don't think on a "separate profiles" device (e.g etrex 20) that you can load all of these at the same time.

1. UK contours file

2. British isles (without contours)

3. New look and feel version

Obvious really as I now understand that the contours file (1. above) is essentially included in the new look version, and so conflicts on the gps boot up. Talkytoasters FAQ deals nicely with the situation where you might just want 2. and 3. above, but not also 1. [Talkytoaster, I also confirm that the FAQ is spot on for an etrex 20, which you might already expect if a 30 works]

What I was trying to achieve was having profiles:

a - basemap with just contours (for pure "uncluttered" walking purposes)

b - British Isles without contours

c - British Isles with contours

d - New look - as it is simply awesome in detail

Not a great issue, but had me scratching my head for a bit. I've just removed the new look beta for the moment.

Edit: and before someone asks I tried "both" versions of the new look files - but both seemed to include contours. I'm not at my normal PC but I think there were the 20120720 versions.

This is covered in the FAQ on my site, on the Etrex 20/30 you won't be able to do what you plan as this will cause the Etrex 20/30 to freeze or crash as you will have two copies of the same map tiles (contours) on the device.

On the Oregon or Dakota you can achieve what you want by installing the contours only map, and then the OS 1:50K Look n Feel without contours and the standard mapset without contours; this allows you to share the contours between the two British Isles maps (via profiles).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120817 [the old ones are prefixed with 120727] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 17th August 2012.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled. Some more tweaking has also been done, and will continue to be done.

The new 10m contours solve the jaggy coastline/sea problems. The new contours are set at 10M intervals, so offer better resolution than the old Scottish Mountaineering Club ones. Both mapsets now have rendered sea, but without any of the issues experienced with the SMC contours previously used.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hi,

The problem is that you need to unzip the enclosed gmapi file to somewhere and then run the MapManager on that file,it will then work.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for the advice and I'm happy to say it worked although I had to use a bit of lateral thinking to resolve matters.

In a nutshell the Mac OS will unzip the downloaded archive and create a file with this name "120727-British-Isles+Contours-Routable-OS50tt.gmapi" which the OS then treats as a file and not an archive. When I double click the gmapi file the OS hand it to Garmin MapInstall which then tries to install it. I have StuffIt 8 and StuffIt 12 installed and I tried to open the gmapi file with 12 first with no success. StuffIt 8 opened and unpacked it with no problem and then MapInstall handled the resulting file "FAMILY_800.gmapi' just fine and I have a useable BaseCamp map set.

Once again many thanks!

biggles 4 :D

Hi,

Hi Martin

Thanks for the advice and I'm happy to say it worked although I had to use a bit of lateral thinking to resolve matters.

In a nutshell the Mac OS will unzip the downloaded archive and create a file with this name "120727-British-Isles+Contours-Routable-OS50tt.gmapi" which the OS then treats as a file and not an archive. When I double click the gmapi file the OS hand it to Garmin MapInstall which then tries to install it. I have StuffIt 8 and StuffIt 12 installed and I tried to open the gmapi file with 12 first with no success. StuffIt 8 opened and unpacked it with no problem and then MapInstall handled the resulting file "FAMILY_800.gmapi' just fine and I have a useable BaseCamp map set.

I have now added an entry into the FAQ on my site; the command-line "unzip" program also works correctly and you'll end up with a file and the gmapi folder. It seems that the default archive/zip tool in MacOSX doesn't unzip the zipfile correctly. I'm not sure which versions of MacOSX are affected by this bug.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 120831 [the old ones are prefixed with 120817] and include all changes made to OSM British Isles data as at the 31st August 2012.

The latest OS 1:50K Look n Feel has had many of the custom POIs set to zoom level 24 (they only show at zoom levels 0.5 mile or less). These also now use the 10m contours I compiled. Some more tweaking has also been done, and will continue to be done.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin