Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets...

For all those interested:

Another week and another set of updates...

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB mapset I compile includes the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

The Ireland mapset I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 111209 [the old ones are prefixed with 111118] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 9th December 2011.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://talkytoaster.info

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

I have versions of the GB/British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

Details and the maps can be found here: http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

CAVEAT: No mapping solution is perfect.

From OpenStreetMap:-

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

All feedback and comments are most welcome.

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer). Unfortunately as my 'spare' time is very limited so far this year I haven't managed to update the records page. Anyone submitting records should ensure that they supply a bookmark of the caches in their record.

I have reorganised the map page on the site to hopefully make it easier to find which mapset you want and updated the compatibility table with new models reported to work.

Please Note: There will be no new maps next weekend as I'm away on business again.

Regards,

Martin

OK, I told a porkie, there are new maps this week :anicute:

I actually wasn't away as long as I expected, so the maps got done as usual after all.

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 111216 [the old ones are prefixed with 111209] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 16th December 2011.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

I have versions of the GB/British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer). Unfortunately as my 'spare' time is very limited so far this year I haven't managed to update the records page. Anyone submitting records should ensure that they supply a bookmark of the caches in their record.

I have reorganised the map page on the site to hopefully make it easier to find which mapset you want and updated the compatibility table with new models reported to work.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 111223 [the old ones are prefixed with 111216] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 23rd December 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Another week and another set of updates...and I would like to wish all of you a very happy new year!

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 111230 [the old ones are prefixed with 111223] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 30th December 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Quick update:

I have just added a new experimental mapset for the British-Isles which has contours, is routable and has OS 1:50K (Landranger) look and feel. It also uses the latest version of mkgmap and splitter, so the routing may be better too.

All feedback is most welcome and encouraged.

Regards,

Martin

Hello Martin,

I've just downloaded the OS style map and put it on my 60csx.

First impression "WOW, FANTASTIC" that is different. I can see my house so its using the OSM maps. The buildings across the way are named when the pointer is hovered over them.

It's a little bit slower to pan across the map but that is more than compensated for with the tremendous increase in detail/visual impact.

When you zoom out its just a blocky mess so I think the I'll have to try to de-clutter a bit. Zoom right in and the detail is great.

This has to be played with to get the settings right.

Will there be a Mapsource/Basecamp version, PLEASE?

Great work and many thanks.

Bernard

Could someone please confirm what the unzipped file size should be?

Mine downloaded first time, not sure how long it took as I wasn't watching it. Anyway I make the .zip 367Mb, and the unzipped .IMG 474Mb.

I just loaded this onto my Vista HcX, and it's working fine. At first glance it seems a bit cluttered to me, and I think I prefer the 'clean' look of the regular maps, but I won't really know until I've tried it out in the field a few times, so I'll give some more feedback once I've had a good play.

As ever Martin you're doing a great job, thanks.

Mine downloading as we speak, although it took 3 attempts, a server somewhere kept throwing me off half way through the download ... and although it's now done it's locked up my nuvi 1490, possibly a corrupt map. Could someone please confirm what the unzipped file size should be?

As on the page on my site: Unzipped Size = 473 MB (496,656,384 bytes)

Regards,

Martin

Martin - this is a massive improvement on what was a great product already. I've not had a chance to try it in the field yet but an 'at home tour' of places I know and have mapped show great improvements that will assist those of us who use these maps for off-road geocaching/walking.

I can now see:

•  
  • barriers (stiles, gates, etc.),
  • cliffs,
  • identify public footpaths/bridleways -v- non designated paths,
  • hedge boundaries (though sadly not fences),
  • forest -v- woodland,
  • better representation of different areas (parks, cemetaries, residential, etc.),
  • upland fell,
  • much clearer buildings,
  • etc.

Whilst I often upload the OS 1:25K maps for an area I am visiting using Mobile Atlas Creator I rarely have these turned on as I find these maps too cluttered on a GPS screen (I use an Oregon). I tend to rely on your OSM downloads. These new ones are so much better that I'll probably not bother downloading the OS maps in future unless the area I'm visiting has not been locally OSMd.

To others who have not tried these maps I can only suggest that you have a go, after all they are free - though I would personally encourage a small PayPal gift to TalkyToaster to thank & encourage him for all his hard work.

Great work Martin - please keep it up!

Robin

Edited by FollowMeChaps

I've just loaded the OS50 version to MapSource and from there, to a spare 2GB card in one of my 60CSx handhelds. (I didn't want to overwrite the Garmin Topo maps). It's quite impressive. It at least now appears to show the difference between bridleways and footpaths... if you look carefully :)

mmm... I ashamed to say I prefer the older style.

Tried the new ones and compared it to the old, the new ones seem to cluttered when zoomed out (Oregon 450).

That said I only use the TT maps for routing when in the car to and from caches ('automotive' profile), I've 25k OS on the 'geocaching' profile. I guess if i didn't have the OS I'd have the new maps for cachng.

But hats off to Martin :)

Martin, an update on the 1:50,000 OS map. Got my nuvi working after creating a cure rgn, and deleteing the offending map. Tried it again having downloaded it again, this time onto a card (!), and still it locked up the nuvi, gets to the Map Loading screen then stalls.

I'll try later to create an .img file from Mapsource and see if that will work, in the meantime may be worth discouraging nuvi owners from using it as it involved a fair bit of technical know how for me to 'unbrick' my nuvi :)

That's why they are marked as Experimental ;)

It seems that routing may not work properly, so be warned.

This mapset is currently not recommended for use on Garmin Nuvii's. Use my normal OSM routable maps instead.

I may replace the NON-Routable British-Isles mapset with the OS50 ones; as that would offer those that want non-routable OS 1:50K style maps a good alternative to the normal OSM style ones.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

I may replace the NON-Routable British-Isles mapset with the OS50 ones,; as that would offer those that want non-routable OS 1:50K style maps a good alternative to the normal OSM style ones.

Sounds OK..but PLEASE PLEASE don't ditch the routable OSM any time in the future :)

The OS50 mapset I downloaded earlier today has successfully been exported to my Garmin iQue 3600 from MapSource. It looks a bit different on that (the roads are just a 'line' with no 'width' to them and the colours are different) but I suspect that's due to the limitations of the iQue rather than the mapset itself. I'll try out the routing at some point.

I've now created a mapset using Mapsource, it displays fine on a Nuvi (on a card this time!!) although I haven't checked the routing yet, possibly tomorrow on the way to/from work. Works fine on my Etrex 20 also.

Keep 'em coming :):)

Another update, just checked and confirmed that the routing problem appears to be due to the OS 1:50K Look and Feel TYP file and NOT the new version of the splitter/compiler I was using. It seems that to make the footpath/bridleways more like the real OS 1:50K ones, it changes the values of them to something that the routing engine thinks should be treated as a road!

The good news is that this means that new OSM maps (that don't use the OS 1:50K Look and Feel) should be fine and the routing should be significantly better than the current maps which use an older version of the splitter and compiler.

However, this means that I will ONLY offer the OS 1:50K Look and Feel mapset as an NON-routable option.

I also plan to adjust the size of the POI icons in the OS 1:50K Look and Feel mapset to make them smaller and to try and reduce the apparent clutter.

This does NOT affect the normal OSM mapsets I compile and add contours to, only the new OS 1:50K Look and Feel mapset.

None of these changes are going to happen for 2-3 weeks at least, as I will be away on business, so no further new maps until the 20th of January.

If anyone wants to test out a British-Isles mapset compiled with the latest splitter/compiler that uses the improved routing features, then please let me know. This will be a mapset using the standard OSM look and feel (with contours).

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

If anyone wants to test out a British-Isles mapset compiled with the latest splitter/compiler that uses the improved routing features, then please let me know. This will be a mapset using the standard OSM look and feel (with contours).

Yup, I don't mind :)

.......However, this means that I will ONLY offer the OS 1:50K Look and Feel mapset as an NON-routable option.

That's a shame as for those of us who love this new map for all the extra info' they give we won't be able to navigate between caches.

I also plan to adjust the size of the POI icons in the OS 1:50K Look and Feel mapset to make them smaller and to try and reduce the apparent clutter.

Would it be possible to make the clutter (bus stops, barriers, etc) dissappear as one zooms out? If not are they all that much of a pain? How often does one need to zoom right out when caching?

Happy to test it for you Martin as well.

Have a great trip.

That's a shame as for those of us who love this new map for all the extra info' they give we won't be able to navigate between caches.

You could always use both the standard OSM routable British-Isles mapset and the OS1:50K look and feel mapset and switch between them? This assumes that you have an Oregon, Montana, Dakota, GPSMap62, Etrex 20/30 or one of the other newer Garmins that allow multiple mapsets and that has the Profiles feature. I do this a lot with different mapsets on my own Oregon 200.

Would it be possible to make the clutter (bus stops, barriers, etc) dissappear as one zooms out? If not are they all that much of a pain? How often does one need to zoom right out when caching?

I'll look into it, but editing and creating TYP (Style files) is a bit of a black art.

I've PMed you the link to the OSM Routable British-Isles mapset (this uses the new compiler and splitter). Feedback is most welcome. Seems to work fine for me.

Regards,

Martin

d6ebfdb6-2142-412b-b69b-0a205ebbc95a.jpg

31f04075-560a-47d6-85c7-ca80ab189928.jpg

Thanks for the new maps. At first glance they appear to show more information and look less cluttered at the same time. The first thing I checked was to see how large areas of water showed up. As you can see from my screen grabs, the Firth of Forth is very blocky and obscures details near the coast. I can see details such as the bridge when zooming in or out, but as the screen is repainted, the sea is done last and goes on top of the roads and text that appears first. This is the same behaviour that I noticed with the previous maps, and was hoping that it may have been fixed.

Apart from that they look good and I hope to use them out on the hunt very soon.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450, running software version 4.50

I can see details such as the bridge when zooming in or out, but as the screen is repainted, the sea is done last and goes on top of the roads and text that appears first. This is the same behaviour that I noticed with the previous maps, and was hoping that it may have been fixed.

This is due to the fact that the contours have a higher redraw level than the map, I could possibly reverse this but then the contours would probably disappear.

If you are not using the maps for caching/hiking you could just turn off the contours and the problem is solved. Or as mentioned previously, set up two profiles, one with the contours enabled and the other with them disabled. Simples! :blink:

Not ideal I know, but I know of no other simple way to easily resolve this. If anyone does, then please feel free to educate me.

Regards,

Martin

Loaded OK on both Oregon 450 (5.2) and Colorado 300 (3.7) both with the latest firmware.

Everything seems OK, one thing which may just be an OSM thing, but schools/colleges show up as a bus...it's an American type school bus...but not the greatest symbol!

Will try them out properly at the weekend :)

You could always use both the standard OSM routable British-Isles mapset and the OS1:50K look and feel mapset and switch between them? .......

I didn't realise that one could do this i.e. have 2 mapsets on the unit, one on each profile. I'm off to play - thanks.

Gosh Martin you are helpful.

I did not no this?Not sure how to do it, download the new mapsets and then the other ones with out and then change the profile, i to have a 62s. once you have do it can you all let us now i like the idea!

thanks

LWM

You could always use both the standard OSM routable British-Isles mapset and the OS1:50K look and feel mapset and switch between them? .......

I didn't realise that one could do this i.e. have 2 mapsets on the unit, one on each profile. I'm off to play - thanks.

Gosh Martin you are helpful.

All you need to do is ensure is that each mapset is individually named (if you are using multiple mapsets), e.g.

BICR-UKOSM.img for the British Isles+Contours, Routable mapset

OS50-UKOSM.img for the OS 1:50K look and feel mapset

I do this with my own Oregon as I travel quite a bit outside the UK, and just switch profiles when I get to my destination. I have maps for the Middle East, Denmark, UK and most of the rest of Europe too.

Same with enabling contours in one profile and disabling them in another, except that all you do is disable the UK Contours mapset in one of the profiles. The OSM maps I compile contain two mapsets, ones is the contours the other is the OSM map.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Martin at the risk of not only looking stupid but also sounding stupid am I right in thinkng that I can just drop the .img file straight onto the SD card (or the 62st itself) like I did with the old maps :unsure: ?

Yes, just like the original maps, just unzip the IMG file, rename as required and then drop it in to the GARMIN folder on the GPSrs internal memory or SD/MicroSD card. It should then work.

Regards,

Martin

Yes, just like the original maps, just unzip the IMG file, rename as required and then drop it in to the GARMIN folder on the GPSrs internal memory or SD/MicroSD card. It should then work.

Regards,

Martin

Phew thats OK then ....but sadly still not working it gets as far as the loading maps screen and freezes only way to do anything is to remove the batteries then plug in the usb lead with the down arrow button depressed for 30 seconds and force it into mass storage and delete the file :blink: .

Phew thats OK then ....but sadly still not working it gets as far as the loading maps screen and freezes only way to do anything is to remove the batteries then plug in the usb lead with the down arrow button depressed for 30 seconds and force it into mass storage and delete the file :blink: .

That's why I asked if you had the latest firmware, as some of the earlier version of the Montana, GPSMap62 and Etrex 20/30 firmware had problems with some maps. I have not had any reports from Oregon or Colorado users about issues. My own Oregon 200 loads them fine.

I wonder what the cause is?

Regards,

Martin

That's why I asked if you had the latest firmware, as some of the earlier version of the Montana, GPSMap62 and Etrex 20/30 firmware had problems with some maps. I have not had any reports from Oregon or Colorado users about issues. My own Oregon 200 loads them fine.

I wonder what the cause is?

Regards,

Martin

I have even tried downloading the file with a different browser in case IE was doing something nasty and still no go ....works fine on my 60Csx backup though :rolleyes:

I have even tried downloading the file with a different browser in case IE was doing something nasty and still no go ....works fine on my 60Csx backup though :rolleyes:

Most odd, however I'm just compiling a non-routable British-Isles+Contours mapset with the OS 1:50K look and feel, maybe it is the routing that is causing your 62 to lock up? Fancy trying it out?

Regards,

Martin

For those that are interested in discussing all things OSM and sharing tips and/or information about the maps I compile then you may be interested in joining the Facebook group I've just created.

It is a closed group, so just send me a message on Facebook indicating that you'd like to join the group and I'll add you.

Here is a direct link to the group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/341745342503586/

Regards,

Martin (Martin Overton on Facebook)

Edited by talkytoaster

I would just like to Thank Martin for his efforts and am happy to report he has found the cause of the problems I have been having getting the new OS style maps to work on my Garmin GPSmap 62st :D

I will leave Martin explain what was happening it was not a fault with the maps but with the way the GPSr handles the maps :ph34r:

Matrix

OK, lots of changes to the new OS 1:50K Look and Feel mapset; many icons/POIs shrunk or completely re-done, routable and non-routable versions compiled, updated MapSource and BaseCamp versions too.

I've also added some details on how to install multiple mapsets and how to set up Profiles to allow quick switching between mapsets. This is useful beyond my mapsets.

These new instructions can be found in sections 3.b and 3c of the FAQ on my site here: http://talkytoaster.info/free-uk-maps-faq.htm

There will be no further updates for around 10-14 days, but all feedback is most welcome, either directly, via here of via the new Facebook group I have set up.

Hope you find the new maps and instructions useful.

These are still considered experimental!

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

OK, lots of changes to the new OS 1:50K Look and Feel mapset; many icons/POIs shrunk or completely re-done, routable and non-routable versions compiled, updated MapSource and BaseCamp versions too.

I've also added some details on how to install multiple mapsets and how to set up Profiles to allow quick switching between mapsets. This is useful beyond my mapsets.

The latest version of OS look & feel maps looking good so far. Thank you Martin for the instructions on multiple mapsets, I've set this up on my Dakota 10 so I can switch between the OS50 & the normal maps.

Another week (after another business trip) and another set of updates...

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB mapset has been discontinued as it is superseded by the British Isles mapset:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120120 [the old ones are prefixed with 111230] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 20th January 2012.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data.

It also includes an updated and reworked 1:50K 'Look and Feel' mapset (which gives a similar look as that found on OS 1:50K Landranger maps) for the British Isles; these are still experimental and the routing is not advised for motor-vehicles as it includes footpaths and bridleways. This has taken a significant amount of time to clean-up and improve. Thanks for all the feedback.

All of the latest maps have been compiled using an updated compiler which has an improved routing engine.

I have versions of the British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB mapset has been discontinued as it is superseded by the British Isles mapset:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 120127 [the old ones are prefixed with 120120] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 27th January 2012.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data.

It also includes an updated and reworked 1:50K 'Look and Feel' mapset (which gives a similar look as that found on OS 1:50K Landranger maps) for the British Isles; these are still experimental and the routing is not advised for motor-vehicles as it includes footpaths and bridleways. This has taken a significant amount of time to clean-up and improve. Thanks for all the feedback.

All of the latest maps have been compiled using an updated compiler which has an improved routing engine.

I have versions of the British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

Hope this helps?

There probably won't be any new maps this coming weekend as I'm away on business again.

Regards,

Martin

An update: I've been using the new look and feel OS50 maps on my Garmin Dakota 10 and BaseCamp on my Mac for a while and thought I'd report back. The maps install fine and work well, I'm getting used to the changes in appearance and am beginning to prefer them to the old ones, especially noticeable on the GPSr. Great stuff, thanks :D