Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets...

For all those interested (now I'm back in the UK again):

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB mapset I compile includes the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

The Ireland mapset I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 110325 [the old ones are prefixed with 1100304] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 4th March 2011.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://talkytoaster.info

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Britsh Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

I have versions of the GB/British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

Details and the maps can be found here: http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

CAVEAT: No mapping solution is perfect.

From OpenStreetMap:-

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

All feedback and comments are most welcome.

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk

Regards,

Martin

For all those interested:

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 110401 [the old ones are prefixed with 110325] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 1st April 2011.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Britsh Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

I have versions of the GB/British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer).

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110408 [the old ones are prefixed with 110401] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 8th April 2011.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer).

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110415 [the old ones are prefixed with 110408] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 15th April 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for that, these are a lifesaver for me as I can't justify paying for the discoverer maps!

Out of interest does anyone know if the maps change much between the releases?

The maps are always larger every time I compile them; this means that the data used to create them has also increased. So, from that I can safely say that the maps are always being modified.

I often add new footpaths and bridleways that I find that are not yet mapped whilst out caching. I know that there are a number of other active cachers doing the same for their local area and where they travel too.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110422 [the old ones are prefixed with 110415] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 22nd April 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hello everyone... this is my first post on this forum!!!

Have been trying to download and upload the maps for my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, can anyone help as it keeps telling me that the file format is wrong etc... if i purchase a SD card with the info, is just a case of plug in and play???

Hope you guys can help.

Many thanks

William Harding

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110429 [the old ones are prefixed with 110422] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 29th April 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110506 [the old ones are prefixed with 110429] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 6th May 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110513 [the old ones are prefixed with 110506] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 13th May 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110520 [the old ones are prefixed with 110513] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 20th May 2011.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer). Unfortunately as my 'spare' time is very limited so far this year I haven't managed to update the records page so far this year.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110527 [the old ones are prefixed with 110520] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 27th May 2011.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer). Unfortunately as my 'spare' time is very limited so far this year I haven't managed to update the records page. Anyone submitting records should ensure that they supply a bookmark of the caches in their record.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110603 [the old ones are prefixed with 110527] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 3rd June 2011.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk (these can be found on the same site as the maps I offer). Unfortunately as my 'spare' time is very limited so far this year I haven't managed to update the records page. Anyone submitting records should ensure that they supply a bookmark of the caches in their record.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110610 [the old ones are prefixed with 110603] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 10th June 2011.

Hope this helps?

Please Note: There will not be any new maps next week as I'm away on business.

Regards,

Martin

Hi - this looks really helpful for a GPS newbie like me?!? - whats the easiest/best way to get the IMGfile into MapSource so I can select what to upload to my eTrex? Thank you in advance.

You don't state which Etrex you have? If you have an Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, Legend HCX, Vista HCX, then just follow the instructions to install the whole mapset to your GARMIN'S internal memory or a SD/MicroSD card.

If you want to use the maps in MapSource or BaseCamp then download the versions specifically for them from my site. Then follow the instructions to the letter.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

i've been using you maps for a while now, and think they're great.

i'm heading to Andalucia in Spain in a few weeks, and i'm hoping to do some caches while i'm there.

is there a similar map for this area available?

Thanks for the feedback.

I've just sent you an email with the details you wanted.

Regards,

Martin

This was my reply in the GPS and Technology forum:-

I also have an Etrx Hc and I have been using talkytoaster maps for some time. The good news is that they are excellent for use once in Mapsource and when used as tiles on your GPS. The bad news is that it is a bit complicated getting the download to be seen by Mapsource in the first place.

By the way I have also used the free European maps for abroad and the same process is needed.

Go to http://sites.google....cypherman1/home download and install MapSetToolKit.

The instructions to load a map on the website are a bit complex and I have found the easier method is:-

Launch MapSetTool kit and select 'Install'.

Select the browse button for the TDB file and browse to the file and select (mapset.tdb).

This will add some information to the form.

Do the same for the 'Overview map' (mapset.img) and the 'TYP files' (teddy.typ).

Now press install, if all is well the map is now installed and will show up on the 'Mapset installed' list.

Launch Mapsource and select the map via the drop down in the top left corner.

Select the 'Map Tool' and click on an area that you want to load to your gps (it will turn pink).

Repeat for the other areas that you may wish.

Check via the 'Maps' tab that you are within the 24Mb limit.

Plug in and switch on the gps (on the satalite window I tend to select 'no tracking' or whatever it is called).

In Mapsource select 'send to device' and tick 'maps'.

The process may take a few minutes (patience is required).

And that is all there is to it.

This was my reply in the GPS and Technology forum:-

I also have an Etrx Hc and I have been using talkytoaster maps for some time. The good news is that they are excellent for use once in Mapsource and when used as tiles on your GPS. The bad news is that it is a bit complicated getting the download to be seen by Mapsource in the first place.

I do offer MapSourse/BaseCamp ready versions on my site, I even supply instructions in the ZIP file and on the page on how to install them into MapSxource/BaseCamp.

Regards,

Martin

Back from Denmark, so I've managed to get a new mapset compiled this week.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110624 [the old ones are prefixed with 110610] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 24th June 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin, I didn't mean to tread on toes with my idiots (yes thats me) guide to installing your maps.

Its just that when I started and not being used to all of the jargon and processes involved in installing maps to the EtrexHc I found it all rather confusing.

However after installing your maps and others many times to the PC. Followed by selecting and installing the needed tiles to the EtrexHc. I find the process a 'piece of cake' (installing your latest only took a few minutes).

It was also nice to see the couple of footpaths that I had uploaded to http://www.openstreetmap.org;

Thanks for the MapSets and please keep up the good work.

Hi,

Hi Martin, I didn't mean to tread on toes with my idiots (yes thats me) guide to installing your maps.

Its just that when I started and not being used to all of the jargon and processes involved in installing maps to the EtrexHc I found it all rather confusing.

However after installing your maps and others many times to the PC. Followed by selecting and installing the needed tiles to the EtrexHc. I find the process a 'piece of cake' (installing your latest only took a few minutes).

It was also nice to see the couple of footpaths that I had uploaded to http://www.openstreetmap.org;

Thanks for the MapSets and please keep up the good work.

Not a problem and I didn't see you as treading on my toes, or any other part of me ;)

Just thought that you weren't aware of the instructions I have written. But, as they say "there's more than one way to skin a cat", figuratively speaking (apologies to any cat lovers). I'm not saying my way is best or the only way, that would be just silly and petulant.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110701 [the old ones are prefixed with 110624] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 1st July 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110708 [the old ones are prefixed with 110701] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 8th July 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110715 [the old ones are prefixed with 110708] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 15th July 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110722 [the old ones are prefixed with 110715] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 22nd July 2011.

The FAQ has also been updated with some new data.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110729 [the old ones are prefixed with 110722] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 29th July 2011.

The FAQ has also been updated with some more new data.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110805 [the old ones are prefixed with 110729] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 5th August 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Apologies for the lack of map updates recently but I've been away on business rather a lot over the last fortnight.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110819 [the old ones are prefixed with 110805] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 19th August 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110826 [the old ones are prefixed with 110819] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 26th August 2011.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

Hope this helps?

I have reorganised the map page on the site to hopefully make it easier to find which mapset you want. I am also thinking about stopping doing the GB and IE mapsets and just offering the British Isles mapsets in four flavours (GPSR routable+contours, GPSR NON-routable+contours, Basecamp and MapSource versions). The British Isles mapsets include all of the UK and Ireland.

If this is going to cause anyone an issue please let me know via email, not this forum.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110909 [the old ones are prefixed with 110826] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 9th September 2011.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/British Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

Hope this helps?

I have reorganised the map page on the site to hopefully make it easier to find which mapset you want. I am also thinking about stopping doing the GB and IE mapsets and just offering the British Isles mapsets in four flavours (GPSR routable+contours, GPSR NON-routable+contours, Basecamp and MapSource versions). The British Isles mapsets include all of the UK and Ireland.

If this is going to cause anyone an issue please let me know via email, not this forum.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110916 [the old ones are prefixed with 110909] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 16th September 2011.

Hope this helps?

Please Note: I am away on business for the next 3 weeks, so there probably won't be any further map updates from me until the weekend of the 22nd/23rd of October. I will still be checking my email when I can.

Regards,

Martin

I have been away on business for the last 3 weeks, so there have been no new maps. However, I'm back now and so are the map updates.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 111014 [the old ones are prefixed with 110916] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 14th October 2011.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin