Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets...

For all those interested:

I have just compiled the latest GB/UK/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The UK mapsets I compile include the following areas: (Yes, the UK mapset is back!)

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The GB mapset I compile includes the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

The Ireland mapsets I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/UK/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 100903 [the old ones are prefixed with 100820] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 3rd of September 2010.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://talkytoaster.info

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@googlemail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/UK/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data (I have had several requests for this). The GB routable and non-contour mapset is also back.

More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

I now have workable versions of the GB/UK & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

Details and the maps can be found here: http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

CAVEAT: No mapping solution is perfect.

From OpenStreetMap:-

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full UK & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer using GPSMapEdit and in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

All feedback and comments are most welcome.

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk

There probably won't be any new maps next week as I'm away on business in France.

Regards,

Martin

I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

OS (and other map information companies) put in deliberate errors, to see if the others are copying their work, rather than getting their own information!

Nicholas Crane (Map Man/Coast) did a programme with the company that do the London A to Z who mapped a new street.

The name they used on their map before it had an official name, was that of their chief mapping guy!

I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

OS (and other map information companies) put in deliberate errors, to see if the others are copying their work, rather than getting their own information!

Nicholas Crane (Map Man/Coast) did a programme with the company that do the London A to Z who mapped a new street.

The name they used on their map before it had an official name, was that of their chief mapping guy!

As far as I know, OS do not deliberately add errors to their maps (as you say though, A-Z definitely do) - my only authority on this is that I'm a long time OSM contributor and this question gets asked and answered quite a lot on the mailing list. Any errors in OS maps are accidental, apparently. (Note that I say errors in OS maps - there are other features of OS maps which have been deliberately added, such as the name of a cartographer in the cliffs of the south coast).

I have just compiled the latest GB/UK/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The UK mapsets I compile include the following areas: (Yes, the UK mapset is back!)

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

The Ireland mapset I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/UK/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 100910 [the old ones are prefixed with 100903] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 10th September 2010.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@googlemail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/UK/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data (I have had several requests for this). The GB routable and non-contour mapset is also back.

I now have workable versions of the GB/UK & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (with or without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full UK & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer using GPSMapEdit and in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Also, I am now hosting the UK Geocaching Records that were originally hosted/maintained by Mongoose39uk

Regards,

Martin

The UK mapsets I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 100917 [the old ones are prefixed with 100910] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 17th September 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 100924 [the old ones are prefixed with 100917] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 24th September 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hello TalkyToaster,

First off many thanks for compiling these maps and posting the information here. I've now become hooked on OSM mapping and some Norfolk footpaths I've uploaded are now appearing on your compiled maps.

I have downloaded the UK+Contours-Routable-MapSource.zip mainly to use in MapSource. As yet the Garmin Topo map on the 60csx is just a bit better than OSM, not for much longer though.

I had a problem last time I updated to the latest OSM map you posted, registry files got a bit messed up. But easily fixed through a free registry repairer. So the question is what would be the correct manner to update the files for use in MapSource?

Regards

Bernard

Edited by BCNorwich

I had a problem last time I updated to the latest OSM map you posted, registry files got a bit messed up. But easily fixed through a free registry repairer. So the question is what would be the correct manner to update the files for use in MapSource?

If you have already installed the mapset before into MapSource/Basecamp on the computer (e.g. you've run the install.bat previously) then all you need to do is unzip the new map tiles to the same directory you used last time (effectively overwriting them all). You don't need to re-run the install.bat again.

Hope this helps?

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101001 [the old ones are prefixed with 100924] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 1st October 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101008 [the old ones are prefixed with 101001] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 8th October 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101015 [the old ones are prefixed with 101008] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 15th October 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101022 [the old ones are prefixed with 101015] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 22nd October 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I have just compiled the latest GB/UK/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101029 [the old ones are prefixed with 101022] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 29th October 2010.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I have just compiled the latest GB/UK/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101105 [the old ones are prefixed with 101029] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 5th November 2010.

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@gmail.com].

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101112 [the old ones are prefixed with 101105] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 12th November 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Does anyone know if these maps will work on a Garmin 62s or 62st? I'm loosely thinking of upgrading my 60CSx, and don't want to have to pay for another license for Garmin's rather hit-and-miss Topo maps.

Edit: scratch that, I just noticed the bit on the web site that says they do. If anybody just heard a slapping sound it was my palm hitting my forehead....

Edited by team tisri

Many thanks Martin. I really look forward to these weekly messages - another week another updaye.

Personally I can't understand why people shell out hard earned money for the alternative, what I consider to be inferior, maps. TalkyToaster's are great for walking, cycling & routing and are updated each week. OK in some areas they can be a little incomplete but then you can have the fun of updating the map yourself and seeing the results on the next update.

10/10 Martin - keep 'em coming. :)

Does anyone know if these maps will work on a Garmin 62s or 62st? I'm loosely thinking of upgrading my 60CSx, and don't want to have to pay for another license for Garmin's rather hit-and-miss Topo maps.

Edit: scratch that, I just noticed the bit on the web site that says they do. If anybody just heard a slapping sound it was my palm hitting my forehead....

I have had one report saying that the OSM maps I compile when used on a 62s were blank; not sure if this is a firmware issue or other maps are being overlaid, or a non-technical issue. There are others saying that OSM maps (generally) are working fine on the 62s.

Can anyone confirm that they have successfully used either the GB or UK maps I compile on a 62s or 62st?

Personally I can't see why they shouldn't work as I've yet to find a Garmin GPSr (that supports maps) that they don't work on (if they have a SD/MicroSD card with enough room or enough internal memory). Even the Dakota 10 works fine.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101119 [the old ones are prefixed with 101112] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 19th November 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101126 [the old ones are prefixed with 101119] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 26th November 2010.

Hope this helps?

Please Note: There will be no new maps released next weekend. Normal service should be resumed the week after.

Regards,

Martin

I have had one report saying that the OSM maps I compile when used on a 62s were blank; not sure if this is a firmware issue or other maps are being overlaid, or a non-technical issue. There are others saying that OSM maps (generally) are working fine on the 62s.

Can anyone confirm that they have successfully used either the GB or UK maps I compile on a 62s or 62st?

Personally I can't see why they shouldn't work as I've yet to find a Garmin GPSr (that supports maps) that they don't work on (if they have a SD/MicroSD card with enough room or enough internal memory). Even the Dakota 10 works fine.

Regards,

Martin

My local branch of Cotswold kindly agreed to let me test my own microSD card in their demo 62s. Next time I get chance to head into town I'll check it out and report back.

My local branch of Cotswold kindly agreed to let me test my own microSD card in their demo 62s. Next time I get chance to head into town I'll check it out and report back.

Just received an email from someone with an Oregon 200 and a GPSMap62st, he has informed me that the mapsets I compile and offer work fine on his 62st.

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101210 [the old ones are prefixed with 101126] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 10th December 2010.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Another vote for these maps on a Garmin GPSMAP62s. New unit arrived yesterday, and I put the Micro SD card from my Vista HCX into it. Maps worked a treat. :(

Thanks.

Derek

Added 17th Dec..

Now tried it without the SD card and copied the downloaded map to the 62s using the mass storage option. Just dropped GMAPSUPP.IMG file into the Garmin folder on the 62s. Also works well.

Edited by eaglegale

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 101217 [the old ones are prefixed with 101210] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 17th December 2010.

Hope this helps?

Please note: There probably won't be any new maps next weekend. Normal service will be resumed in the new year. I have also added an experimental British Isles mapset which is transparent, if this works out well then it will replace the UK mapset.

Regards,

Martin

I have recently discovered open sea map (http://openseamap.org/index.php?id=18&L=1) and I was wondering if it is possible to include open sea map data in these map? The open sea map data is stored on the open street map database but just hidden on the open street map website. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it to display on the GPS or convert the open street map data in a way that gets it to display?

I have recently discovered open sea map (http://openseamap.org/index.php?id=18&L=1) and I was wondering if it is possible to include open sea map data in these map? The open sea map data is stored on the open street map database but just hidden on the open street map website. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it to display on the GPS or convert the open street map data in a way that gets it to display?

I found out how to do it using mkgmap. :laughing:

Could you please share how as I for one would be interested - though the opensea maps don't seem to really cover the UK or am I wrong?

Certain areas of the UK are covered. I am currently working on charting all the buoys, posts, and navigation lights in Poole Harbour using my boat and GPS. So far, I have covered the the North Channel and the Main channel. The Solent is also covered in quite a lot of detail with most buoys marked.

The way I did it was to download the area I wanted (poole harbour) using Java Open Street Map editor. I then saved it to my computer and copied it to the directory where I have mkgmap installed and renamed it data.osm. To convert it you need to tell mkgmap to use the marine style although you do have to modify it slightly to make it show lights. After I convert it, I then install it in mapsource using map set tool kit.

The settings I put in a setup file for mkgmap are (you would need to change the style-file directory to where you put the modified marine style)(if you want to copy the map directly to your Garmin GPS, add "gmapsupp" on a new line to create a gmapsupp.img file):

route

net

drive-on-left

check-roundabouts

style-file=/applications/gps and mapping/mkgmap/resources/styles/marine2

generate-sea: extend-sea-sectors

max-jobs

input-file: data.osm

(leave a blank line here or it won't work)

To get mkgmap to include lights, you need to add these two lines to the marine style points file. Add them below "seamark:light:1=* [0x010100 resolution 20]"

seamark:type=light_minor [0x010100 resolution 20]

seamark:type=light_major [0x010100 resolution 20]

If I have time, I will create a youtube video showing the whole process. I'll post a link if I do. Just ask if I haven't explained this very well. :)

Edited by Mako-Shark

Could you please share how as I for one would be interested - though the opensea maps don't seem to really cover the UK or am I wrong?

Certain areas of the UK are covered. I am currently working on charting all the buoys, posts, and navigation lights in Poole Harbour using my boat and GPS. So far, I have covered the the North Channel and the Main channel. The Solent is also covered in quite a lot of detail with most buoys marked.

The way I did it was to download the area I wanted (poole harbour) using Java Open Street Map editor. I then saved it to my computer and copied it to the directory where I have mkgmap installed and renamed it data.osm. To convert it you need to tell mkgmap to use the marine style although you do have to modify it slightly to make it show lights. After I convert it, I then install it in mapsource using map set tool kit.

The settings I put in a setup file for mkgmap are (you would need to change the style-file directory to where you put the modified marine style)(if you want to copy the map directly to your Garmin GPS, add "gmapsupp" on a new line to create a gmapsupp.img file):

route

net

drive-on-left

check-roundabouts

max-jobs

To get mkgmap to include lights, you need to add these two lines to the marine style points file. Add them below "seamark:light:1=* [0x010100 resolution 20]"

If I have time, I will create a youtube video showing the whole process. I'll post a link if I do. Just ask if I haven't explained this very well. :)

I have explained how to do it in a youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EysU67Tjy-w

Many thanks Mako-shark, what a quick and comprehensive reply.

Whilst I use JOSM for OSM updating there's still an awful lot of new stuff here for me to take in :blink: . When I get a spare half hour over the next few days I'll give it a go and let you know how I got on. I really hope it works as I sail out of Lyme quite a bit in the summer, only a dinghy mind you, and these could prove fun on my Oregon. Maybe you could be persuaded to pop around the corner from Poole and map the whole coast along there ;) .

It make me really appreciate all the work Talkytoaster must do each week to give us his OSM maps - thanks to him again as well.

Whilst I use JOSM for OSM updating there's still an awful lot of new stuff here for me to take in :blink: . When I get a spare half hour over the next few days I'll give it a go and let you know how I got on. I really hope it works as I sail out of Lyme quite a bit in the summer, only a dinghy mind you, and these could prove fun on my Oregon. Maybe you could be persuaded to pop around the corner from Poole and map the whole coast along there ;) .

It make me really appreciate all the work Talkytoaster must do each week to give us his OSM maps - thanks to him again as well.

Glad I could help. :) Ask me if you have any problems.

I would also like to thank Talkytoaster as he has to do even more work to produce full UK maps as it is more difficult to download the full UK, then you have to split the map, then convert it and merge it with the contour data, and then test it, and then upload it. He also has to convert it and produce multiple different versions for Windows or Mac or Garmin, and produce versions with and without contours!

Another thing to note is that if you want to use open sea map data easily alongside Talkytoaster's maps then you need to produce a transparent map with only the marine data. To do this you need to use a filter in JOSM to disable the other items, then you need to copy the marine items to a new layer/document and save that, then use the same method but with different commands in the setup file to make the map transparent and draw over the top of other maps.

The filter text you need to enter into a JOSM filter is:

"seamark:type"|"marina"|"slipway"|"breakwater"|"pier"|"sailing_club"|route=ferry

Make sure that "add to selection" is selected from the options and none of the others and click "submit filter". This will disable all the objects covered by your filter. To disable all the objects but the ones in your filter, you need to tick the box in the filter pane on the right under the I column and if you want to hide all the other objects, tick the box under the H column.

You then need to drag a box around all the objects to select them and copy them into a new document by clicking edit and copy, then deleting the current layer and creating a new one from the file menu. Paste all the objects into this layer and save it as data.osm in the mkgmap directory.

The rest of the process is the same accept for the commands you need in the setup.txt file. These need to be:

max-jobs

gmapsupp

transparent

draw-priority: max

(leave a blank line here)

If setting the draw-priority to "max" does not work (it did for me), just use a high number to make sure it draws over any other maps.

Edited by Mako-Shark

Do you mean Lyme Regis? If you do, I don't think I'll be able to map that area as I think it would be interesting (to say the least) to go that far in my open 12ft motor boat! :laughing: You can always map it yourself though using your GPS, JOSM and the open sea map plugin. That is how I am mapping Poole Harbour. :smile:

Edited by Mako-Shark

For all those interested (sorry later than usual as I'm traveling a lot):

Over the weekend I compiled the latest GB/UK/Ireland/British Isles map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The UK & British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 11007 [the old ones are prefixed with 101217] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 7th January 2011.

Hope this helps?

I have also added an experimental British Isles mapset which is transparent, if this works out well then it will replace the UK mapset.

Due to lots of travel for work over the next 2-3 weeks there probably won't be any further new mapsets until the start of February.

Regards,

Martin

route

net

drive-on-left

check-roundabouts

max-jobs

I have explained how to do it in a youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EysU67Tjy-w

I have removed the video as I noticed that the audio was out of sync making it very difficult to follow. I will re-upload asap.

For all those interested (sorry later than usual as I've been travelling a lot):

Over the weekend I compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 110128 [the old ones are prefixed with 110107] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 28th January 2011.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/UK/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data (I have had several requests for this). The GB routable and non-contour mapset is also back. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

I have versions of the GB/British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer using GPSMapEdit and in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

The new British Isles mapset which is transparent has now replaced the old UK mapset.

Regards,

Martin

Over the weekend I compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

The British Isles mapsets I compile include the following areas (this has now replaced the UK mapset):

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The full GB/British Isles/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 110204 [the old ones are prefixed with 110128] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 4th Febuary 2011.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/UK/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data (I have had several requests for this). The GB routable and non-contour mapset is also back. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

I have versions of the GB/British Isles & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource/BaseCamp (PC), and have also been tested in MapSource/BaseCamp before release. Versions for Mac OSX (RoadTrip/BaseCamp) are also available.

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer using GPSMapEdit and in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

The new British Isles mapset which is transparent has now replaced the old UK mapset.

Regards,

Martin

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110211 [the old ones are prefixed with 110204] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 11th Febuary 2011.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Britsh Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data (I have had several requests for this). The GB routable and non-contour mapset is also back. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Finally, the website has had a re-work, hopefully this will make certain pages quicker to load.

Regards,

Martin

How often should a user update their maps?

Thanks ever so much.

I update the maps on my GPS every time TalkyToaster releases a map update. I do this because I am working on the open street map and I like to be able to see and use my corrections and additions asap after I make them. If I wasn't updating regularly for this reason, I would still probably update every update or perhaps every two weeks as Open Street map is still changing and expanding fairly rapidly and having the most up to date and reliable map is fairly important and useful. Hope this helps :)

How often should a user update their maps?

Thanks ever so much.

I update the maps on my GPS every time TalkyToaster releases a map update. I do this because I am working on the open street map and I like to be able to see and use my corrections and additions asap after I make them. If I wasn't updating regularly for this reason, I would still probably update every update or perhaps every two weeks as Open Street map is still changing and expanding fairly rapidly and having the most up to date and reliable map is fairly important and useful. Hope this helps :)

Thanks, all I gotta do now is figure out how to do it :)

Dont tell me till I ask :)

Its my challenge for today.

For all those interested (now I'm back in the UK for at least a week):

Over the weekend I have compiled the latest GB/British Isles/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 110304 [the old ones are prefixed with 110211] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 4th March 2011.

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Britsh Isles/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data. The UK mapset has now been replaced by a British Isles one (it covers the same area).

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full British Isles & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer in MapSource/BaseCamp for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Finally, the website has had a re-work, hopefully this will make certain pages quicker to load.

Regards,

Martin