Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets...

Another fortnight another update...

For all those interested:

I have just compiled the latest GB/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The GB mapsets I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

The Ireland mapsets I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Both the full GB/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 100119 [the old ones are prefixed with 100105] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 18th of January 2010.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@googlemail.com].

All the maps have been either been tested on a Garmin Oregon 200 or checked in GPSMapEdit on a Windows PC (just to ensure they load and render).

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data (I have had several requests for this).

More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

The full UK mapsets I used to offer have been discontinued. The GB/Ireland routable versions complete with contours have effectively replaced them. This should allow me to update them weekly from now on.

The split mapsets have now been discontinued. If you use them or need them, then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I now have workable versions of the GB & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource, and have also been tested in MapSource before release.

Details can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteru...ree-uk-maps-faq and the maps here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

Caveat: "OpenStreet Maps are a work in progress and missing many footpaths/bridleways but for most of the GB/Ireland the road data is complete and some paths/tracks are included"

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

All the maps have been either been tested on a Garmin Oregon 200 or checked in GPSMapEdit on a Windows PC (just to ensure they load and render).

Martin,

Thank you for your update on the update. Given that you have used a great number of lines to describe these mapsets, do you not think it only reasonable to add in a phrase warning about the deficiencies of the source data while you are at it? Something like on the website :

"OpenStreet Maps are a work in progress and missing many footpaths/bridleways but for most of the GB/Ireland the road data is complete and some paths/tracks are included"

The people who already use these extracts on their Garmin will be aware of these deficiencies, but clearly you are not issuing these weekly bulletins to existing users as thew will know all this. As they are directed at potential new users, it is only fair to make any shortcomings explicit here in the interests of fairness, balance and honesty.

Looks like this project might finally get some decent mapping data, due to the OS possibly making large amounts of data up to 1:25000 freely available.

OS haven't decided that yet. It's a suggestion. Many GB Open Street Map afficionados are dead against Ordnance Survey releasing 1:25K and 1:50K raster maps because they know it will scupper the OSM project in the UK.

It is a tangled web they weave.

Martin,

Thank you for your update on the update. Given that you have used a great number of lines to describe these mapsets, do you not think it only reasonable to add in a phrase warning about the deficiencies of the source data while you are at it? Something like on the website :

"OpenStreet Maps are a work in progress and missing many footpaths/bridleways but for most of the GB/Ireland the road data is complete and some paths/tracks are included"

The people who already use these extracts on their Garmin will be aware of these deficiencies, but clearly you are not issuing these weekly bulletins to existing users as thew will know all this. As they are directed at potential new users, it is only fair to make any shortcomings explicit here in the interests of fairness, balance and honesty.

You mean something similar to the warnings NOT posted on TomTom, AA, Garmin and Google Maps web sites?

And I should add, far from being aimed at only new users, these updates are for existing users who wish to update their maps (something I don't believe the OS do on quite such a regular basis....?)

Edited by keehotee

Martin,

You mean something similar to the warnings NOT posted on TomTom, AA, Garmin and Google Maps web sites?

And I should add, far from being aimed at only new users, these updates are for existing users who wish to update their maps (something I don't believe the OS do on quite such a regular basis....?)

I think the press has many times pointed out the failings of the commercial mapping systems, and ther are warnings on TomTom and Garmin sites about their professionally acquired mapping data, which is of higher accuracy and higher saturation than the OpenStreet maps. the more I look at OpenStreet maps the more I see areas of danger including the vast inaccuracies on paths, countour data, the lack of saturation of data in many areas.

Giving this great consideration, they are only someones pet project, they lack much features and support of professional mapping, this is in no way like Open Source Software, where the worst which can happen is an application crash, these are designed to be taken out of the house and on the road and open country, but they are failing to give enough information. As I mentioned earlier the OS is in a process of making its data free, so any projects which arise out of that move will be far better than this project at present.

Circles and Duracell spring to mind.

We seem to be forever going round in them and it goes on and on and on and on.

Ok guys we have all got the messages, OSM is not as accurate as OS mapping, but we do realise that and make allowances.

Your points are noted and understood, so can those of us who appreciate the OSM maps that Martin makes available be left in peace to enjoy them without the constant droning on and on.

Oh yeah and thanks Martin and keep up the good work mate.

Circles and Duracell spring to mind.

We seem to be forever going round in them and it goes on and on and on and on.

Ok guys we have all got the messages, OSM is not as accurate as OS mapping, but we do realise that and make allowances.

Your points are noted and understood, so can those of us who appreciate the OSM maps that Martin makes available be left in peace to enjoy them without the constant droning on and on.

Oh yeah and thanks Martin and keep up the good work mate.

Maybe if people like you were civil in you writing then maybe I could take you seriously. It is annoying that you have yo use an increased sized font and also Bolding you font.

Maybe the warnings we are giving here mean nothing to you, but if you have ever been involved in a rescue of a person, who was not adequately equipped then you would understand my point of view. Geocachers are invariably not that skilled in the outdoors, and it is people such as me who have many years of outdoor experiance who often come to the ill equipped aid.

These maps are a clear hazard to all who use them as their main mapping tool outdoors, as are GPS when not used with a mechanical compass and paper map!

Can I just say Mr moote, that i find...

"Geocachers are invariably not that skilled in the outdoors, and it is people such as me who have many years of outdoor experiance who often come to the ill equipped aid."

Offensive... who are you to judge my outdoor skills? You have no idea of my experience or qualifications to judge..

Quoting myself "Geocachers are invariably not that skilled in the outdoors", does not mean I was commenting on all individuals, I was pointing out in general the Geocachers I have met (and that is many), most have limited outdoor knowledge, and usually inferior equipment.

"Geocachers are invariably not that skilled in the outdoors, and it is people such as me who have many years of outdoor experiance who often come to the ill equipped aid."

Offensive... who are you to judge my outdoor skills? You have no idea of my experience or qualifications to judge..

Quoting myself "Geocachers are invariably not that skilled in the outdoors", does not mean I was commenting on all individuals, I was pointing out in general the Geocachers I have met (and that is many), most have limited outdoor knowledge, and usually inferior equipment.

Just come along here Solstice with the Stones on Saturday morning and find a few that do ;).

Just come along here Solstice with the Stones on Saturday morning and find a few that do ;).

I'd love to, if it was a bit closer to Cornwall!

Maybe if people like you were civil in you writing then maybe I could take you seriously. It is annoying that you have yo use an increased sized font and also Bolding you font.

Maybe the warnings we are giving here mean nothing to you, but if you have ever been involved in a rescue of a person, who was not adequately equipped then you would understand my point of view. Geocachers are invariably not that skilled in the outdoors, and it is people such as me who have many years of outdoor experiance who often come to the ill equipped aid.

These maps are a clear hazard to all who use them as their main mapping tool outdoors, as are GPS when not used with a mechanical compass and paper map!

Nothing un-civil in my post.

The large font and bold print were simply to try and get a message across.

I understand what you are saying but it just gets extremely boring when it is repeated over and over again, people are capable of reading through threads and seeing what has been said..

I would not go out with them as my ONLY method of navigation,I also carry a PDA with OS 1:50k and 1:25k maps loaded plus a compass and I always have the track sytem on the GPS turned on.

I actually used to teach Map & Compass use and Survival to youngsters and taught them that their main survival tool was common sense and to think before they acted and if people do just that they will stay safe.

I honestly think that most of the cachers who will go and cache in rough areas (moors etc) are probably the type of people who will be properly kitted out.

Maybe you just will not be happy until these maps are no longer available and therefore deprive a lot of people who use them as an AID to their navigation.

Mind you I wonder why I am even bothering to discuss this with a person who thinks it is big to use a picture of himself(?) holding a replica(?) gun as his avatar.

Nothing un-civil in my post.

The large font and bold print were simply to try and get a message across.

I understand what you are saying but it just gets extremely boring when it is repeated over and over again, people are capable of reading through threads and seeing what has been said..

I would not go out with them as my ONLY method of navigation,I also carry a PDA with OS 1:50k and 1:25k maps loaded plus a compass and I always have the track sytem on the GPS turned on.

I actually used to teach Map & Compass use and Survival to youngsters and taught them that their main survival tool was common sense and to think before they acted and if people do just that they will stay safe.

I honestly think that most of the cachers who will go and cache in rough areas (moors etc) are probably the type of people who will be properly kitted out.

Maybe you just will not be happy until these maps are no longer available and therefore deprive a lot of people who use them as an AID to their navigation.

Mind you I wonder why I am even bothering to discuss this with a person who thinks it is big to use a picture of himself(?) holding a replica(?) gun as his avatar.

I think explaining reasonably the caution that theses woefully inadequate maps to people who might be deceived by there quality; it is never wrong to be concerned about welfare of others, and I will continue to post here about the extreme poor quality of the data. The maps have not been compiled from a professionally acquired data source, and until the OS release for free that data, I would say they are little more than a hobby for someone with time on there hands.

On your mapping skills, I guess using a mechanical compass with a PDA is always a good idea (not), A compass cant't be sucessfully used with this kind of device, you require a proper paper map with the correct datums, and magnetic variation, so I hope you don't use that far from your car, also if your battery goes, your map is gone!

PDA has it's own GPS so don't use the compass with it. I'm not that stupid.

Also has a back up power supply that will give me an extra 16hours life.

No point in a compass then as you have not said you take the recommended paper map, If you were required to be rescued that would be one of the 1st questions asked by the MRO / CRO; they are not impressed with technology as a substitute. A paper map is vital, no if no buts; inadequate maps based on historical and badly collated data (that includes the highly slated SMC contour data) are not maps, they are too outdated or inacurate to warrant that label.

Anyone who uses these maps without having a decent paper map at hand is a fool, please remember the mountain code, before anyone says how dare you call me a fool, because that is what your local MRO / CRO will refer you to with their questioning; not this pathetically poor offering of a map.

Edited by Moote

That is the single most sensible thing anyone on this thread has said, well done.

I think explaining reasonably the caution that theses woefully inadequate maps to people who might be deceived by there quality; it is never wrong to be concerned about welfare of others, and I will continue to post here about the extreme poor quality of the data.

But it's been said many times already, why do you need to keep on saying it again and again and again?

While you're at it can you pop over to the "Network Rail" thread and post some warnings about the dangers of trespassing on the railways, the "Unfriendly Dogs" thread and warn about the dangers of approaching strange dogs, any thread which mentions rivers, mountains, roads....... the imbeciles of the world need to be protected from themselves!

That is the single most sensible thing anyone on this thread has said, well done.

Unfortunately you quoting DrDick&Vick about his training youngsters with map and compass and his survival training antics, I find hard to understand. Anyone who has that experience would never enter open country with just technology as a guide, it is both foolish and might actually places others in danger. I have come accross this before with Geocachers, where they feel that their behaviour has no concern to others; but my view is that it does, when others have to give up their time and risk their necks, to drag someone out of trouble. I'm just glad that I was never trained in these skills by someone who openly flouts that experiance.

I think explaining reasonably the caution that theses woefully inadequate maps to people who might be deceived by there quality; it is never wrong to be concerned about welfare of others, and I will continue to post here about the extreme poor quality of the data.

But it's been said many times already, why do you need to keep on saying it again and again and again?

While you're at it can you pop over to the "Network Rail" thread and post some warnings about the dangers of trespassing on the railways, the "Unfriendly Dogs" thread and warn about the dangers of approaching strange dogs, any thread which mentions rivers, mountains, roads....... the imbeciles of the world need to be protected from themselves!

As for the Network Rail thread, I have commented there and made it clear that NR land should not have caches placed on it.

Also if you understood the implications to others you would see that your remark "the imbeciles of the world need to be protected from themselves!" is actually quite a childish and imature thing to say, as others put their lives on the line for ill equipped people, and it is offencive for you to actually just openly accept that poorly equipt people is perfectly acceptable.

These maps are a toy for people to show off there expensive GPSr, but if someone spends £400+ on a GPSr, why accept a low quality, mapping substitute, you might as will stick to your sub £150 GPS and put them on that! It's a fashion statement, not a safety statement.

Unfortunately you quoting DrDick&Vick about his training youngsters with map and compass and his survival training antics, I find hard to understand.

So you find his advice that the most essential survival tool is common sense and an awareness of the environment and dangers of such is hard to understand?

These maps are a toy for people to show off there expensive GPSr, but if someone spends £400+ on a GPSr, why accept a low quality, mapping substitute, you might as will stick to your sub £150 GPS and put them on that! It's a fashion statement, not a safety statement.

That's nonsense. I use a Vista (£160 when I bought it), It's neither a fashion statement, or a safety statement it's just another tool in the toolkit and it's about choosing the right tool for the job.

Most of the time when I go caching I rely on the OSM maps, very often I don't use maps at all when I'm not caching, you know why? Well it's not terribly hazardous walking round the Arable farmland round our way, and the footpaths are excellently marked. On the other hand I'm off to Dartmoor in a couple of weeks, which is somewhere much more hazardous, and while I'll be taking the OSM maps with me I'll also be taking the relevant paper OS maps, and a big bloke who knows the area well.

You make much of rescuing people from hazardous situations, but have you or anyone you know of been to the aide of anyone who got themselves into danger because of OSM maps?

Unfortunately you quoting DrDick&Vick about his training youngsters with map and compass and his survival training antics, I find hard to understand.

So you find his advice that the most essential survival tool is common sense and an awareness of the environment and dangers of such is hard to understand?

No not at all, what I find is someone who professes to be an expert, yet fails to understand the safety of others as he admits that he does not use paper mapping; paper mapping is an essential part of equipment in the outdoors. Lead by example, not by words alone!

That's nonsense. I use a Vista (£160 when I bought it), It's neither a fashion statement, or a safety statement it's just another tool in the toolkit and it's about choosing the right tool for the job.

Most of the time when I go caching I rely on the OSM maps, very often I don't use maps at all when I'm not caching, you know why? Well it's not terribly hazardous walking round the Arable farmland round our way, and the footpaths are excellently marked. On the other hand I'm off to Dartmoor in a couple of weeks, which is somewhere much more hazardous, and while I'll be taking the OSM maps with me I'll also be taking the relevant paper OS maps, and a big bloke who knows the area well.

You make much of rescuing people from hazardous situations, but have you or anyone you know of been to the aide of anyone who got themselves into danger because of OSM maps?

I personally have rescued ill equipped people, and it will only be a matter of time till these diabolically pathetic maps will lead someone into a dangerous situation. It's a matter of saturation, if I can prevent just one such situation by voicing my strong belief that these are a hobby and not a professional product suitable for outdoor use, then I see my voice as being a worthy statement.

Put it this way, how would you feel if you recommended these to someone, and they because of them ended up on a situation which placed them in danger?

I have stated here that I have already noted a footpath which is leading onto a motorway, I know the path in question very well, and it has been moved, the data it is based on appears to be a very historic OS map. Is that not a danger, a footpath out of place, and leading onto a motorway is a disgrace, and that is within what is a relatively high data saturated area. It only take thick fog for someone to make an error and walk onto the motorway.

my strong belief that these are a hobby

Like geocaching you mean?

No point in being facetious, there might be someone's life at stake because of there extremely poor content!

It only take thick fog for someone to make an error and walk onto the motorway.

Thick fog and a litre of gin maybe?

I repeat No point in being facetious, there might be someone's life at stake because of there extremely poor content!

Do you have a problem with me warning people with possible issues of this mapping?

Are they as informative as OSGB mapping?

Are they as accurate as OSGB mapping?

Is the person / persons involved in making these aware of vicarious liability, and even a warning on the product or their Webpage does not remove that liability, it might not even lessen that liability!

They maps are a joke, and in no way should be trusted any further off road than a few feet. Anyone who uses these as their sole mapping is a fool of the highest degree!

Oh another one I have noted today is mine shafts not marked on these maps, seriously these maps are a real joke.

Edited by Moote

Having just read through all my posts I can find no statement made by myself to the effect that:

:P I am an expert

:ph34r: I never carry or use paper maps

I must be honest that I find this continual repeating of the same old stuff boring now, same as I find the constant 'molycoddling' that this H&S dominated time that we are in imposes upon people.

Is it any surprise that people no longer think for themselves or should I say 'not capable of thinking' for themselves. As far as people are concerned now, if it isn't explained in big writing and a step by step process they can claim compensation if they make a basic silly stupid mistake and scratch or hurt them selves.

I'm 63 and have never managed to get lost anywhere, hurt myself doing adventureous things and I pride myself on that being down to the fact that I always plan ahead so therefore am aware of the possible risks.

Common sense is all that is needed, as is a modicum of common sense required when using OS maps.

I shall now vacate the forum for a while and hope that upon my return this thread will be back to normal.

Oh another one I have noted today is mine shafts not marked on these maps, seriously these maps are a real joke.

Now that comment is a joke, down in Cornwall even the authorities are not sure where hundreds of old unused mine shafts are, if they havn't been found and capped they are not on any map let alone the OS maps. So once again it comes down to common sense when in that kind of area.

Edited to add the last quote and reply.

Edited by DrDick&Vick
No point in being facetious,

I disagree. It's a perfectly acceptable response to hysterical scaremongering.

Do you have a problem with me warning people with possible issues of this mapping?

Are they as informative as OSGB mapping?

Are they as accurate as OSGB mapping?

I have a problem with your inability to respect the fact that I and others have repeatedly acknowledged that:

• Ordnance Survey mapping is by far the best mapping of Britain available
  • Carrying a paper landranger or explorer is an essential requirement for exploration of open country

Notwithstanding:

• a great many people geocache without any mapping on their GPSr.
  • a great many people explore open country with only OSM on their GPSr
  • a great many people find OSM perfectly adequate after hundreds of miles/ hours of use.
  • No mapping is or can be perfectly adequate. Every single Ordnance Survey product in existence contains errors, sometimes serious.

Many people can and do use OSM happily on outing after outing, and are very thankful for the effort put into its compiling. You are perfectly entitled not to like it or use it. But endlessly disrupting this thread with exaggerated rantings is childish nonsense.

I

My personal approach:

- I use and very much appreciate the OSM maps Talky Toaster supplies.

- I generally take a paper OS map with me, and I also use that.

- I don't fully trust either the OS map or OSM map being totally accurate in terms of rights of way etc. I also look at what I am seeing on the trail, e.g. footpaths and signs.

Mark

What a strange "discussion" or "argument" this appears to be:

Person A: OSM has limitations

Person B: We know OSM has limitations

etc.

Firstly I fully appreciate anybody that gives their time to rescue others. I always donate to the mountain rescue when I see a collection box. Thankfully I've not had to call upon their services.

That said, You have totally lost my respect with your repetitious posts preaching from upon high. I've got your message thanks, move on

No point in being facetious,
I disagree. It's a perfectly acceptable response to hysterical scaremongering.
Hysterical scaremongering, no! factual yes, I have nothing to gain by saying these are poor quality, people have lots to loose, you obviously have no concern for others safety, I have, I will warn and warn and warn again against these being used as a main source of mapping
Do you have a problem with me warning people with possible issues of this mapping? Are they as informative as OSGB mapping? Are they as accurate as OSGB mapping?
I have a problem with your inability to respect the fact that I and others have repeatedly acknowledged that:
  • Ordnance Survey mapping is by far the best mapping of Britain available
  • Carrying a paper landranger or explorer is an essential requirement for exploration of open country

Notwithstanding:

• a great many people geocache without any mapping on their GPSr.
  • a great many people explore open country with only OSM on their GPSr
  • a great many people find OSM perfectly adequate after hundreds of miles/ hours of use.
  • No mapping is or can be perfectly adequate. Every single Ordnance Survey product in existence contains errors, sometimes serious.

Many people can and do use OSM happily on outing after outing, and are very thankful for the effort put into its compiling. You are perfectly entitled not to like it or use it. But endlessly disrupting this thread with exaggerated rantings is childish nonsense.

The issue I have is that having read talkytoaster postings, he continually refuses to acknowledge putting a warning on the mappings possible quality. That is unforgivable, yes we all know that the OSGB mapping has some errors, but they are far more accurate than this pitiful offering which really needs to be placed in Room 101. I have many years of experience in mountains and know it is the ill equipped who usually end up having a MRO / CRO, coming to their aid. People who are prepared to place others t risk because of their naive and wilfully poor behaviour are at risk to the people who come out to save their sorry skins.
Having just read through all my posts I can find no statement made by myself to the effect that: :P I am an expert :ph34r: I never carry or use paper maps I must be honest that I find this continual repeating of the same old stuff boring now, same as I find the constant 'molycoddling' that this H&S dominated time that we are in imposes upon people. Is it any surprise that people no longer think for themselves or should I say 'not capable of thinking' for themselves. As far as people are concerned now, if it isn't explained in big writing and a step by step process they can claim compensation if they make a basic silly stupid mistake and scratch or hurt them selves. I'm 63 and have never managed to get lost anywhere, hurt myself doing adventureous things and I pride myself on that being down to the fact that I always plan ahead so therefore am aware of the possible risks. Common sense is all that is needed, as is a modicum of common sense required when using OS maps. I shall now vacate the forum for a while and hope that upon my return this thread will be back to normal.
You might not have said that you were an expert, or that you never carry a paper map, but you certainly inferred your expertise with your remark on training people in the use of map and compass, and you failed to refer to carrying a paper map, you made a boastful claim though about having 15 hours of battery life. One can't only read between the lines and see a paper map in there.
Now that comment is a joke, down in Cornwall even the authorities are not sure where hundreds of old unused mine shafts are, if they haven’t been found and capped they are not on any map let alone the OS maps. So once again it comes down to common sense when in that kind of area. Edited to add the last quote and reply.
I know full well that there are unmarked shafts nationwide probably more where I live than in Cornwall, but ones which appear on OSGB maps, but not on OSM that is unforgivable, as is the failing to place warnings around major UK military training areas. These are an extremely poor quality and require a health warning and scrapping, the equivalent Garmin maps of the UK are far larger in size and certainly that reflects in the detail they supply. Your comment about "H&S dominated time", maybe if you read the figures for UK employment safety you would see that the UK is actually one of the safest places for a person to work, I'd rather be alive at work, than dead there.

OK,

How about some useful data (some has already been given previously in the thread), and I will repeat it below; hopefully concisely:

1. No mapping solution is perfect.

From OpenStreetMap:-

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. It is a guide not a factual statement.

2. You should never rely on just electronic maps or GPSrs, you also require a compass and a paper map of the area you are hiking/geocaching in. Ideally you should plan a route, both electronically and on the paper map, so that you have a good chance of not getting lost.

3. You should ensure that you tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back. Also take a fully charged mobile phone in case of emergency and a whistle. You might like to check in at regular intervals by phone.

4. Ensure you have the right footwear and clothing for the expected conditions as well as waterproofs, water, food, first aid kit, etc. A torch or two would be a good idea too, as would a hiking pole or two.

5. Last but not least use your own common sense as terrain can change (flood, slip, fire and other natural changes to the countryside do happen). Paths get moved/closed/diverted, etc. If in doubt backtrack and find a suitable (legal RoW) to use instead.

All of the above are important, as is ideally not hiking on your own. Having suitable training in the tools (such as maps, compass, GPSr) as well as having good knowledge of the countryside in general (livestock, code of conduct, respect, trespass laws, etc.) can be a life-saver or at least save an argument.

I do all of the above except when I'm in my local area where I know all the paths like the back of my hand. Anywhere I have never been before or remote areas, deep forest, downs, fells, mountains, etc. I take all of the above (and more besides). But then I was in the Cubs & Scouts and have spent a large chunk of my life in the outdoors, and not just in the UK, so I should know what I'm doing and be prepared for most eventualities.

There may be some things I haven't covered above, but I'm sure someone will shortly be along to let me know :P

As to legal aspects of the map I compile; I do just that, compile them. The data is from OpenStreetMap and it's contributors (including me) and The Scottish Mountaineering Club (contour data). I have a disclaimer on my site, as do the SMC and OpenStreetMap.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

The issue I have is that having read talkytoaster postings, he continually refuses to acknowledge putting a warning on the mappings possible quality. That is unforgivable, yes we all know that the OSGB mapping has some errors, but they are far more accurate than this pitiful offering which really needs to be placed in Room 101.

Sorry?

I have stated that they are not perfect here a number of times, and even have a caveat on my site and, if you looked on my last update post.

My last reply also states this, sheesh!

I started writing another longish reply, then decided I can't be a***d any more.

I'll just say that:

I appreciate the OSM maps and the effort that Martin puts into producing the easy to use download <_<

I'm glad I've got the common sense and attitude to take responsibility for my own actions and my own safety, and that I don't need anyone else telling me what I should and shouldn't be using. :ph34r:

I decided to ignore Q(whatever) when he got tediously repetitive, and I'm now regretting having taken Moote's bait and rejoining the thead :rolleyes:

So I'm off to finish the bottle of Red now, working tomorrow, and off out Geocaching (with the latest OSM map :rolleyes: ) on Sunday :P

So long and thanks for all the fish......

The issue I have is that having read talkytoaster postings, he continually refuses to acknowledge putting a warning on the mappings possible quality. That is unforgivable, yes we all know that the OSGB mapping has some errors, but they are far more accurate than this pitiful offering which really needs to be placed in Room 101.

Sorry?

I have stated that they are not perfect here a number of times, and even have a caveat on my site and, if you looked on my last update post.

The point is you are not putting any disclaimer on your regular postings here. You can't expect people to search through old posts and find something buried somewhere.

So if/when you issue your next (repetitive) 30 line update in a fortnight, will you please include a warning such as:

"OpenStreet Maps are a work in progress and missing many footpaths/bridleways but for most of the GB/Ireland the road data is complete and some paths/tracks are included" ?

That would be the honest thing to do.

Thank you.

Sorry?

The point is you are not putting any disclaimer on your regular postings here. You can't expect people to search through old posts and find something buried somewhere.

The postings are just that - postings alerting people who are interested that there are updated maps available.

When you follow the link, you arrive at TT's site, and there, before you get to the maps , you will see

I compile and use these maps on my Garmin Orgeon 200 and have the whole of the GB/Ireland with contour data. The only downside it that they are a work in progress and missing some footpaths/bridleways but for most of the GB/Ireland the road data is complete and many paths/tracks are included. If you like them then you can help by mapping where you travel and upload your track logs for use by the community to help improve the maps.

Why does anybody need to trawl back through old posts??

Another week another update...

I have just compiled the latest GB/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Both the full GB/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 100126 [the old ones are prefixed with 100119] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 25th of January 2010.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@googlemail.com].

This update not only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Ireland, but also routable versions without contour data (I have had several requests for this).

I now have workable versions of the GB & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource, and have also been tested in MapSource before release.

Details can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteru...ree-uk-maps-faq and the maps here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

If anyone wants similar maps (without contours) for other parts of Europe or elsewhere, then please feel free to contact me to discuss your needs.

CAVEAT: No mapping solution is perfect.

"By the very nature of the wiki-style process there is no guarantee of accuracy of any kind. Then again, few proprietary maps carry a guarantee of accuracy, either. In fact, some have artificially-introduced errors."

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide, not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full GB & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer using GPSMapEdit and in MapSource for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 100209 [the old ones are prefixed with 100126] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 8th of February 2010.

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

To participate and help improve the maps you just need to go to http://www.openstreetmap.org; create an account, upload your tracks from your GPSr and then edit the maps. Help on how to do this can be found on the OpenStreetMap site.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

I have tested these maps on a Garmin Oregon 200 [the full GB & Ireland versions with contour data] and also on a computer using GPSMapEdit and in MapSource for those versions designed for use with it to ensure that they load and render as expected. I do not test all the map data or functions as this is not possible in a reasonable time-frame.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

what no map is accurate :0 cheers martin for your valuable update!!:)

Surely Captain Jack Sparrow has an accurate treasure map, and as for his compass, well, if Garmin or one of the others could just replicate that, then I would be at the front of the queueueue to buy one! :o

Cheers for the latest updates Martin... :laughing:

Another week another update...

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 100216 [the old ones are prefixed with 100209] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 15th of February 2010.

Furthermore, I and others have already confirmed this with even GB OS maps; deliberate errors and moved paths (some from 10 years or more after the change was documented by the local council/county are not reflected on the latest OS maps). Not everything is accurately mapped, even on 1:25K. All maps should be considered a guide and not a factual statement.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin.

Thanks for all the time you put into complining these maps. As a noob who wanted to get some kind of map onto his GPSr without paying sky high prices I really apppreciate all you have done.

As far as the raging accuracy debate goes, there seems to be agreement among everyone but just in different ways!

Any how, thanks again, they provide a great accompaniment to my OS explorer series 1:25000 map, that was last updated in 2007 :-p