Latest OpenStreeMap UK Garmin Mapsets...

Anyone have any feedback for me? Either everyone is very happy with this new mapset or apathy has set in? :)

Yep, very happy Martin, thanks. I just look forward to the updates and hope to do a bit more mapping in my area some time soon.

Cheers,

Stuey

Cool :D

I have just had a thought .....I have Garmin XT on my mobile I am going to try and install them on there see if they work :)

That is a good idea....did you have much luck?

I have to confess I forgot I posted that and I have not tried yet ...but I will this evening and report back :D

Anyone have any feedback for me? Either everyone is very happy with this new mapset or apathy has set in? :)

I hope to compile a new non-routable set later this week.

Regards,

Martin?

I have not had a chance to try it yet but I will this evening :D

For all those interested:

I have just compiled the latest UK map tiles [with and without contours] into new UK maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The UK maps I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

This is true for both the full UK mapsets, with and without contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club].

The updated ones are prefixed with 090701 [the old ones are prefixed with 090617] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 1st of July 2009.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

UPDATE:

As the non-contour UK map is now often over 55MB, I have also split it into smaller mapsets, one for England and Wales, one for Ireland and finally one for Scotland. This is only useful for older Garmin models with limited memory capacity. If required I may split England and Wales into separate mapsets too.

I have also published a South East England mapset with contours for use on restricted memory Garmin models, under 22MB in size.

There is also a link to an older version of Sendmap20.exe which I have previously used successfully to load maps to my old GPSMap60c, but this may not work on some Venture/Legend models. I have also linked to the upload tool from MapWel which may solve the current upload issue with Garmin GPSrs with limited memory and no MicroSD/SD card support/slot [this is all covered in the FAQ on my site].

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@googlemail.com].

I have made more changes to the site, including lots of screenshots, FAQs and other useful data too.

All the maps have been tested on a Garmin Oregon 200. They have also been checked in GPSMapEdit on a Windows PC.

This update also includes the first main release of a routable version with contours.

I hope you find them useful?

Regards,

Martin

I have just compiled the latest UK map tiles [with and without contours] into new UK maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

If you want to grab them then you can find them here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Yet again Martin, thanks very much. I keep downloading them and using them when outside of my Garmin GB Discoverer region (South West Coast Path - South). The paid for Garmin OS maps really are excellent, but useless when outside of the 1:50k zone, at which point these OSM maps are very useful. They were great when I did the Three Peaks a few weeks ago as the main routes up Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon have all been mapped :anicute:.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

This is true for both the full UK mapsets, with and without contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club].

The updated ones are prefixed with 090715 [the old ones are prefixed with 090701] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 14th of July 2009.

UPDATE:

As the non-contour UK map is now often over 55MB, I have also split it into smaller mapsets, one for England and Wales, one for Ireland and finally one for Scotland. This is only useful for older Garmin models with limited memory capacity. If required I may split England and Wales into separate mapsets too.

I have also published a South East England mapset with contours for use on restricted memory Garmin models, under 22MB in size. There is also a smaller South East mapset without contour data, inder 16MB.

There is also a link to an older version of Sendmap20.exe which I have previously used successfully to load maps to my old GPSMap60c, but this may not work on some Venture/Legend models. I have also linked to the upload tool from MapWel which may solve the current upload issue with Garmin GPSrs with limited memory and no MicroSD/SD card support/slot [this is all covered in the FAQ on my site].

As these are new, please report any problems directly to me, via my profile on Geocaching.com or via my Gmail account [talkytoasteruk@googlemail.com].

I have made more changes to the site, including lots of screenshots, FAQs and other useful data too.

All the maps have been tested on a Garmin Oregon 200. They have also been checked in GPSMapEdit on a Windows PC.

This update also includes a routable version with contours. More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

Regards,

Martin

I've tried out these fab maps before, but had the Garmin Topo maps, so have been using them.

However, I've just come back from Wales, after discovering that parts of the Severn Way aren't on the Garmin Topo maps (unbelievable but true), and as a result I'm just in the process of downloading the latest mapsets from TalkyToaster, as I think they are better.

Fab stuff, keep up the good work! I'll make a point of trying to contribute to any gaps.

Cheers!

I've just put the routable uk maps on my colarado 300. Wow what a difference! I should have done this months ago!

Thanks Talkytoster - these are just fantastic and dead easy to install. I'll certainly be contributing to opensource as well now :):D;)

I thought it was you who recommended these to me?

I've been using these for quite a while now. There's so few footpaths on the Topo maps compared with the OpenSource ones!

I'll certainly be contributing to opensource as well now :):D;)

I've been contributing to openstreetmap for about 2 years now. I started doing that around the same time that I started geocaching. I've found both activities to be remarkably addictive and they both encourage me to visit new places rather than sticking to a handful of "regular" walks.

I'll certainly be contributing to opensource as well now :):D;)

I've been contributing to openstreetmap for about 2 years now. I started doing that around the same time that I started geocaching. I've found both activities to be remarkably addictive and they both encourage me to visit new places rather than sticking to a handful of "regular" walks.

I've just started contributing, and it's nice to see your own work on the maps. I make a point of reviewing the maps before I go out caching to see if there are any gaps, and review all my track logs when I get home.

I've just started contributing, and it's nice to see your own work on the maps. I make a point of reviewing the maps before I go out caching to see if there are any gaps, and review all my track logs when I get home.

I do the same, just added some new footpaths in the Charlwood and Horley areas around Gatwick airport.

Imagine how complete the footpath/bridleway network in the UK would be if every (or most) cachers did the same?

Regards,

Martin

I think that's part of the addiction of it. I also sometimes use the OSM Mapper tool at ITO World.

Another local cacher contributes to OSM. I have encountered a few times where a footpath is only mapped as far as the cache (although he does tend to map a bit past the cache, so as to not completely give the game away).

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 090729 [the old ones are prefixed with 090715] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 28th of July 2009.

UPDATE:

I have also published a South East England mapset with contours for use on restricted memory Garmin models, under 22MB in size. There is also a smaller South East mapset without contour data, under 16MB.

This update also includes a newer routable version with contours. More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

Regards,

Martin

hi

I'm assuming this isn't possible but would be amazing if it was possible. Is there any way just to get the paths? no roads, or land - just the trails/paths?

I've got a topo map which doesn't contain paths or trails - if I could overlay your paths, it would be perfect!

Chick

Not aware of any way to do that with the maps I compile from the OSM data, sorry.

Edited by talkytoaster

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 090812 [the old ones are prefixed with 090729] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 11th of August 2009.

UPDATE:

I have also published a South East England mapset with contours for use on restricted memory Garmin models, under 22MB in size. There is also a smaller South East mapset without contour data, under 16MB.

This update also includes a newer routable version with contours. More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

Regards,

Martin

Another fortnight, another update :unsure:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 090826 [the old ones are prefixed with 090812] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 25th of August 2009.

This update also includes a newer routable version with contours, although there appears to be numerous routing errors in the raw data (hopefully the will be fixed shortly), but the map renders fine and may actually work fine in routing mode, as I don't drive I have no easy way of testing this feature. More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

Regards,

Martin

I'm probably being stupid here, but does the full UK map set include Ireland? I only seem to have contours rather than roads and contours as in the GB map?

If not, is there any way for me to add the Ireland map without removing the GB one?

Thank you so much for these maps, they are wonderful. I do try and update the OSM site regularly, hopefully soon we'll have the lot covered!!

I'm probably being stupid here, but does the full UK map set include Ireland? I only seem to have contours rather than roads and contours as in the GB map?

If not, is there any way for me to add the Ireland map without removing the GB one?

Thank you so much for these maps, they are wonderful. I do try and update the OSM site regularly, hopefully soon we'll have the lot covered!!

If you are using any of the full UK mapsets I produce, then yes, they include Ireland (North and the Republic), Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Scotland, England and Wales too.

Are you sure you haven't just downloaded the UK Contours only mapset?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

If you are using any of the full UK mapsets I produce, then yes, they include Ireland (North and the Republic), Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Scotland, England and Wales too.

Are you sure you haven't just downloaded the UK Contours only mapset?

Regards,

Martin

Nope definitely not contours only as GB has all roads and contours, but when i scroll over to Eire it has contours only - Any ideas?

I just double checked again - wales has full roads and contours - i then cross the sea and nothing - not even dublin - just names and contours.

It was the most recent routable version i downloaded.

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Edited by luckyNo13

I know - dubliners have been mighty busy!

Its very bizarre. I might just reload the older map and see if that works instead.

UPDATE

I have downloaded the non routable version and that works fine - not sure what was up with the other one tho!

I will check them and if required recompile the routable mapset again, most odd.

Regards,

Martin

I will check them and if required recompile the routable mapset again, most odd.

Think I've found the problem, to resolve it I have had to split the full UK routable map into two; one for GB and one for Ireland.

Compiled them both and they seem to work fine, contours show, roads show, etc.

I will upload them shortly and remove the old UK Routable maps as I think the problem is due to internal tile numbering when compiled (both the GB and Ireland mapset had two tiles with the same number). Unfortunately renaming these tiles isn't an option as it breaks other things.

Thanks for pointing the problem out.

The non-routable mapsets are not affected as they are produced in a different way.

Regards,

Martin

Another fortnight, another update :)

The UK mapsets I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 090910 [the old ones are prefixed with 090826] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 9th of September 2009.

All the maps have been either been tested on a Garmin Oregon 200 or checked in GPSMapEdit on a Windows PC.

This update also includes a newer routable versions with contours, although there appears to be numerous routing errors in the raw data (hopefully the will be fixed shortly) for GB, but the map renders fine and may actually work fine in routing mode, as I don't drive I have no easy way of testing this feature. More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

The routable UK mapset has now been split to resolve an issue. So, there are now separate GB & Ireland routable mapsets. These also have contours.

The GB routable mapset I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

The Ireland routable mapset I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Regards,

Martin

Another fortnight (actually 3 weeks, as I was away on business last week), another update! ;)

I have just compiled the latest GB/Ireland map tiles [with and without contours] into new maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

The GB mapsets I compile include the following areas:

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

The Ireland mapsets I compile include the following areas:

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Both the full GB/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 091001 [the old ones are prefixed with 090910] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 30th of September 2009.

All the maps have been either been tested on a Garmin Oregon 200 or checked in GPSMapEdit on a Windows PC.

This update also includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Ireland, although there appears to be numerous routing errors in the raw data (hopefully the will be fixed shortly) for GB, but the map renders fine and may actually work fine in routing mode, as I don't drive I have no easy way of testing this feature.

More details about the routing features can be found in the FAQ on my site.

The full UK mapsets I used to offer have been discontinued. The GB/Ireland routable versions complete with contours have effectively replaced them. This should allow me to update them weekly from now on.

The split mapsets are still being offered for now, however I may discontinue those soon. If you use them or need them, then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Another week another update!

I have just compiled the latest GB/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Both the full GB/Ireland mapsets come with contour data [contour data is from the Scottish Mountaineering Club] and are now routable.

The updated ones are prefixed with 091008 [the old ones are prefixed with 091001] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 7th of October 2009.

This update only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Ireland, although there appears to be numerous routing errors in the raw data (hopefully the will be fixed shortly) for GB, but the map renders fine and may actually work fine in routing mode, as I don't drive I have no easy way of testing this feature.

The full UK mapsets I used to offer have been discontinued. The GB/Ireland routable versions complete with contours have effectively replaced them. This should allow me to update them weekly from now on.

The split mapsets are still being offered for now, however I may discontinue those soon. If you use them or need them, then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Wow!!!! I just downloaded it for my etrex Vista HCs, took a while but installed perfectly. What a cracking piece of kit. Thanks ever so much for all your work. There's a few bits down here that aren't included and I'll try to upload them when I can.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Further update:

I now have workable versions of the GB & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource.

Please consider these to be BETA quality.

Only use these if you are computer literate and know your way around Windows and the registry well.

Details can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteru...ree-uk-maps-faq and the maps here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Using Mapsource 6.15.6 and the map works a treat. Just needed to make sure the MapTK installed to C:\Garmin\MapTk, ran the install.bat, loaded Mapsource and the OSM was there in the drop down to be selected.

As my GPSr has room for the whole map (and I've been using it for several months now) haven't tried out the sending of a sub-set of the data.

Thanks for all your efforts :P

Using Mapsource 6.15.6 and the map works a treat. Just needed to make sure the MapTK installed to C:\Garmin\MapTk, ran the install.bat, loaded Mapsource and the OSM was there in the drop down to be selected.

As my GPSr has room for the whole map (and I've been using it for several months now) haven't tried out the sending of a sub-set of the data.

Thanks for all your efforts :P

Thanks for your feedback, once I have a number of users confirm it works OK, I'll take it out of BETA mode. I have updated the instructions on the site too.

Regards,

Martin

I now have workable versions of the GB & Ireland mapsets which are compatible with MapSource.

Martin,

this is brilliant - it worked first time, no problems of any sort. A while back I tried getting OSM onto Mapsource using a hotchpotch of different bits of software, but could never pull it off, so I'm well impressed.

Now Mapsource is actually worth having - not something I ever thought I'd say. :D

thanks,

Bernie

has anyone any idea why i cant see the maps on my garmin gps its taken many attempts to download to pc almost 6 hrs, loaded them on garmin now no sign of the maps.

Two most likely solutions-

-Is the file named gmapsupp.img ? Garmin units can't read anything else as map files.

- Is the file stored in [External Drive Letter]:\Garmin ?

has anyone any idea why i cant see the maps on my garmin gps its taken many attempts to download to pc almost 6 hrs, loaded them on garmin now no sign of the maps.

If you are still having problems send me an email and I'll let you have my phone number so that I can help.

Common issues for this are covered in the FAQ on the site here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteru...ree-uk-maps-faq

Regards,

Martin

Another week another update!

I have just compiled the latest GB/Ireland map tiles with contours into new maps for the Garmin GPSrs.

England

Wales

Scotland

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The updated ones are prefixed with 091015 [the old ones are prefixed with 091008] and should be available on the following link as of now. These new ones include all changes made to the OSM mapping data up to the 14th of October 2009.

This update only includes newer routable versions with contours for GB/Ireland, although there appears to be some routing errors in the raw data (hopefully the will be fixed shortly) for GB, but the map renders fine and may actually work fine in routing mode, as I don't drive I have no easy way of testing this feature.

Details can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteru...ree-uk-maps-faq and the maps here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

This should allow those that have Garmin GPSrs with limited memory to select small areas to upload to these devices complete with contour data.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin