Forthferalz Geoturtle Glass Geocoin

forthferalz

thank you all for the lovely comments - and orders :rolleyes: much to my surprise we are already past the 100 mark (so icon yay! on successful conclusion of all sales) and actually heading past double the sales needed ie: for which I have not budgeted.

It's obviously not quite in the spirit of a presale for me to stick my neck out too far financially or to have a chunk just fly straight to ebay either (as has been suggested.) As the majority of orders are only 1-2 coins I've decided the best idea is a limit of 2 except for investors (that was the deal after all) and perhaps put in an 'investment' upgrade option for the deadset keen once i see what has trickled into the mail this week.

Some of the comments have been transferred off a duplicate page; don't worry i've got them all and can print them out easily in admin which is why i use it and not the forum. I'm pretty sure we can accomodate everyone for at least two coins if some of the bigger orders are trimmed back; i'm just waiting for anyone like jackalgirl who has had a long weekend to read through the forums before doing a final count up

I've confirmed a further order with the artist -just getting the glass sorted.

Edited by forthferalz

Pre-sales are now closed: The last run is underway ( ie I have paid up a chunk of funds for materials ) and sending acceptances and invoices. If you have ordered but not heard from me by email in 48 hours please check spam tray and then pm me.

Pabloturtle is doing the mailout again.

Yeah i had to think about that one :)

I went with seachange because it looked like an email address (has a @ in the middle of it) where as feralcaching looked like a website address (no @ in the middle)

Hope I passed the puzzle <_<

Edited by haysonics

HI time for an update! So hope no one is holding their breath - some of the raw glass should be on its way to the studio this week at last ( so much for a 3 week turn around ). They cannot fill my whole order at once so I am holding off completing the invoicing. The worst thing from my point of view is they are obviously under staffed and just genuinely dreadful at returning my emails in a timely manner.

I shall run an ICON cointest under a separate thread to pass the time and keep up moral :Dhttp://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=221070

Edited by forthferalz

UPDATE: sorry - no exact ship date; all raw materials are shipped and recieved by the studio so it should be downhill from here. I hope to still make the first mailouts by end of first week of June although the glass delivery was three weeks behind schedule - once the first fuse is done I'll send another update.

Meanwhile please sharpen your pencils and try drawing an icon!

UPDATE: sorry - no exact ship date; all raw materials are shipped and recieved by the studio so it should be downhill from here. I hope to still make the first mailouts by end of first week of June although the glass delivery was three weeks behind schedule - once the first fuse is done I'll send another update.

How Long does it usually take to fuse 2 pieces of glass together?

I thought it took like, 15 hours.

Curious as to how far along these are???

Opalsns

hi Opalsns, did I miss something in my intray while worrying about the pandemic? Slow and steady it's a turtle for good reason.

Studio replied yesterday that the first coins should be off to Pablo for shipping next week. then that notoriously turns into the week after but they are being done as fast as these things go. Sorry I can't hurry it up. (tried that -they came out backwards) I'm beading up the prize coin -might make the icon thread a bit more interesting while we wait :)

The kiln takes our stuff alongside other work the artist is doing or they might be more expensive than they are. If our glass is delivered late she does other work you know and has a life, it's not a factory. It's always more labour intensive for a single person.

These are being sold as handmade - and I'm not kidding. I've spent several days at a studio making a small pile of duds so I really appreciate the process first hand.

Hand cut, both front and back are hand etched. Also I don't think you can layer and pack the kiln like a pottery kiln - glass is too finicky. Layering changes the heat soaked up. So it may also be spread over many fusings. Even if it sounds like you could pop them all in one go like cookies on trays and take some out and put more in - just opening the door could kill them. Then it has to be cooled and finished off with a grinder. that last bit is yuk boring and probably slow.

Thanks for the update !

It would be great if (when you get some free time) you could put together a step by step photo set of the production process.

Hi,

I am familiar with glass work and I totally understand Art and production takes time. I also understand waiting for materials Sux. So does waiting for coins.

And after hearing all the horror stories from folks in this forum, I get a little anxious!!!!!!( like everyone)

The " materials are on the way" "1st week June" "looks like another week" these comments sounded like something I read before, so forgive me for my anxiety!

I can't wait to get it and get it wire wrapped to wear, ( which I thought, for some reason, that's what you were going to do , also)

I agree with showing us the process. That would be cool.

These are beautiful and Original as far as I know and would be ineresting to see!

I hope this helps You understand My post.

OPalsns

Back in November last year I expressed an interest in having these coins and put my formal pre-order in in April. I'm in no hurry, I understand that they're rather special geocoins and I'll be delighted when the end result arrives on my doorstep.

I'd love to see pictures of the step-by-step process too.

MrsB :rolleyes:

Back in November last year I expressed an interest in having these coins and put my formal pre-order in in April. I'm in no hurry, I understand that they're rather special geocoins and I'll be delighted when the end result arrives on my doorstep.

I'd love to see pictures of the step-by-step process too.

MrsB :mad:

Coooooool,

You can send me hers!!!! LOL!!!!! :rolleyes:

yes the release thing is a problem but with the average price for a top drawer geocoin now on par with this one it is now mostly a production issue which i have been working on solving and I think I have 99.9% cracked it to make a trackable pair a reality but really wish I had worked harder at it in the past month and not gone all floppy ( sorry guys I have my excuses lined up) I really have to crack it before the next event in August cause I promised some kids at the last meet! Maybe they'll take cake instead .... I actually don't have any of my own in hand.

NB: we are bracing for the swineflu down under as all the kids go back to school on Monday ..... status defcon 6 and the health minister has requested all children under grade 11 to remain at home if they went to Melbourne ( swine flu capital of the world ) for the holidays. but we doubt it will 'contain ' so I have stocked up on meds/chicken soup/disinfectant/tissues and painkillers

so no photos until deliveries over and no one panic if I'm slow to reply - Paul is handling mailout so you are in good hands

ps the hand to hand thing may not work either - I lost two really special ones almost straight away like that but picked up my casual intracache swap the other day.

Edited by forthferalz

Two little turtles have found their way to Wales, they arrived safely this morning.

They're lovely and have brightened up a very grey, rainy day which is more like autumn than summer at the moment.

Many thanks.

MrsB :ph34r:

Turtles swimming up the Bristol Channel to arrive in S.E. Wales, U.K...

a0cc3dac-9e2a-462b-9699-b65ab4cf84c4.jpg

Edited by The Blorenges

goodnews - we are 2/3 rds of the way through the list

more deliveries next week

badnews - the studio is moving premises **again**;

goodnews - this means she will have her own place and not have to share it - which was apparently part of the problem, not being able to access working space at will.

ps. if anyone wants to know how to turn a glasscoin into a beaded cabachon i have linked in the patterns i used here http://feralcaching.wordpress.com/2009/06/...scoin-necklace/

Still 15 shy of 100 'paid and delivered' sales for the icon - Sorry couldn't get enough of the raw specialty glass at the one time. Should be fine to proceed once i have signed off on the others.

Do you mean there were 85 made following pre-order #3 or 85 in total ?

Edited by haysonics