Forthferalz Geoturtle Glass Geocoin

forthferalz

Comments appear to be closed. I know you said post there for pre-orders and not here, but if the comments aren't actually closed (and it's a Mac interface problem - I have a mac), could you add me to the list? PM me and I'll send you my email address (or just shoot me a message via my profile).

mac is fine ;) closed it while i pause the pre-sale pending a photo.

Let's while away the wait with a cointest why don't we?

I stumbled over this today:

Collectibles - Database

"This Collectibles Database is simply a way to help us recognize and identify the many and varied signature items we've found and produced. Wooden Nickels and Poker Chips have been separated into their own categories. ( listed in left navigation menu )"

Read CAREFULLY:

post a new item to the database by simply adding it's name in the name field and describing it in the comments field - link to photo is extra points :) choose "Switch List Type to:" in the left hand column (pink links) to display images if you can't see any.

NAMING GUIDELINES

o Item names should begin with the caching name of the Owner.

o Names should be brief but include any distinguishing characteristics.

then post the name of your entry here and I'll pick my favourite. no limit but they must be unique to the database. ie: an item not already listed UNLESS you are uploading an image alone which also counts as an entry.

there'ssome creative stuff out there -salt, magic card deck and my current favourite "Huaso's Signature Snails

Small, transparent plastic ziplock bag containing numbered signature card and two red snail fossils. "no photo.

Edited by forthferalz

It doesn't seem like you can zoom in on the graphic, tho.

To Zoom right click the image and select 'view image'

thanks very nice! I like beads (and babies too :)

Ah! Okay, so there's some kind of weird linkage thing going on in there. I'm on a Mac so that sort of thing is not immediately apparent. Cool site, though -- I'll have to put together some of my other sig items (photos, etc) and get them in there. Thanks for putting in a link to it (and for the extra info)!

Glad you enjoyed the sig item, too. I blame her aunts. They crochet'd the hat for her. They have told me and my husband, however, that they are working on hats for us, too, so the humiliation will come full circle. ;)

I'm still reeling a little from the shock of receiving the first completed order, tracking ok but the turtle was etched onto the wrong glass and back to front. I won't share the gory details here - pass me another choccie please ....

Impatiently awaiting completed order from a different studio - some sample photos below with many thanks to Pablo Turtle

front2.jpgback2.png

The bending of the text is mostly due to lensing effect of the glass at the edges.

front on 'blue' dichroic glass / back on 'rainbow' dichroic glass - colours will vary as each 1 inch square is cut from a single piece of a big round rainbow.

The colour in dichroic glass is irridescent and shifts between colours depending on viewing angle and the background - like an opal or peacock feather. The blue which confused the heck out of me by being labelled magenta/green apparently isn't a single pigment - the colour is made in the true irridescent way by a micro metallic layer reflecting or transmitting rather than absorbing various wavelengths of light http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescence

I'm off to visit my glassmaking friend tomorrow as well - she's very interested in how this has come out.

We'll have a lot to natter about :D

HI Barry, Sent an update out to the list yesterday - sorry for brevity - I have had a few peanut allergy days thanks to all the holiday goodies!

they are still happening treacle slow we'll be lucky to get a dozen this week - the artist of course shut down for the holidays and handmade is slow in any case! but thanks to Pablo turtle they will ship direct so that will save some time. (I'm still dickering with the back-to-front lady - suffice to say made in the USA cannot be reccomended over using a large outfit in China.)

hi guys! yep Pablo is capably handling the mailout while i am in Japan. stuck here courtesy of the airline for don't know how much longer - and not sure if we can actually get a flight all the way home yet!! The manufacturing process is much slower than anticipated so I'm not invoicing for anymore until this batch is actually finished (if we crawl anywhere near 100 coins in a month I'll be thrilled. I'm still investigating a slightly speedier process.)

and thank you to Hogwildstuff for hosting the codes!

Actually I think it is safe to announce jackalgirl winner of something glassie - as the sole cointest entrant and it was a neat entry anyways you have one of the sample 'trackables'.

Edited by forthferalz

In theory yes there will be another order of turtles and all info will be posted to this thread. We haven't reached the advertised ceiling for this design yet either in pre-orders or current sales. due to practical and personal issues ( not mine ) things have turned out about 5 months slower than we bargained for.

when is another matter - things are still chugging along. The investor coins have all been mailed out i believe - except perhaps Pabloturtle (and i haven't actually got a proper one for myself yet). also there are a few pre-orders still to take care of. Those folks would have already received a confirmation email of being on the wait list. ( was supposed to have had more mailed out to Pablo on friday but i have learnt to just be grateful when anything shows up that isn't a bill. )

My coins arrived safe and sound this morning and they are absolutely beautiful. I love the colour, shape and feel (yes......feel!) of them lol! :yikes:

Thanks again forthferalz for all the time and effort that you've put into getting this project off the ground and also to Pabloturtle for posting them out and the shipping notifications etc. They really are very special indeed......excellent work folks!!!!!!! :D

It's great to see the feedback although not quite time to pop the champagne corks on this one. I'd like to extend a BIG thankyou to the investors who have all been super duper patient and helpful, otherwise I'd have had to stop just short of making it properly.

re:waitlist I'd prefer to just bite off what i can chew at the moment. The waiting list (pre-sales) has been advertised twice already. I think when I originally asked for show of hands there was actually a bit of a dead silence from this forum so it's not geared from the outset for more than 100 coins as as first trial and I lost around half that production and all rapid turnaround capability with the second studio error. things at the studio are in flux so no third waiting list until I'm deadset sure as possible what can be managed. (We certainly haven't explored all the possibilities with the medium :unsure: )

Awhile back , I bought a Perthshire Paperweight Pendent , about an inch around with a lampwork flower in it.

It would be so cool to have your coin hanging on a chain to wear. If you ever do more glass coins, please consider this also. I would definatly be up for a few of those .

Very Well Done!!!!!!!

Opalsns

edited to add, I too would take a nontrackable second and have it fashioned to a pendent, OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo

Edited by opalsns

thanks to everyone coming through on their payments I'll hazard another presale - although caveat this is a genuine pre-sale and although no invoices until i have coughed up for materials etc. your orders will cause people to commit both time and money to the project so please put it aside even though the wait will be long http://feralcaching.wordpress.com/geoturtl...in-pre-order-3/

And although the inevitable happened and some stuff broke prior to fusing; this girl is good not many second ( and yes it was trackable second and yes it is being made into a pendant with silverwire wrap ) trust me - you really didn't want the other seconds.

Lampwork is gorgeous but it's even slower to make in quantity and really needs to be properly annealed ie sent into a kiln for nearly an hour so probably not viable for more than a handful of coins. otherrwise you are thinking of the cheap stuff that chips easily - it won't last.

Edited by forthferalz

thanks to everyone coming through on their payments I'll hazard another presale - although caveat this is a genuine pre-sale and although no invoices until i have coughed up for materials etc. your orders will cause people to commit both time and money to the project so please put it aside even though the wait will be long http://feralcaching.wordpress.com/geoturtl...in-pre-order-3/

And although the inevitable happened and some stuff broke prior to fusing; this girl is good not many second ( and yes it was trackable second and yes it is being made into a pendant with silverwire wrap ) trust me - you really didn't want the other seconds.

Lampwork is gorgeous but it's even slower to make in quantity and really needs to be properly annealed ie sent into a kiln for nearly an hour so probably not viable for more than a handful of coins. otherrwise you are thinking of the cheap stuff that chips easily - it won't last.

I hope I responded in the correct place, there seem to be 2 seperate preorder sections for #3? Thanks

sorry about the duplicate page and busted link - all comments moved over to here if there's anything else missing please let me know! http://feralcaching.wordpress.com/geoturtl...in-pre-order-3/

Hope it hasn't inconvenienced you all too much - thanks for all the orders! I'm just waiting to confirm glass availability before I can start to reply to them properly. The price is the same and although it eventuated we could have reduced the postage to keep it fair I've left it where it was and it absorbed a very small new year's price hike in the electric bill at the studio.

And yes I do want to keep exploring the glass medium - i found a new type of glass last night. Eventually want to start also taking classes - I've been collecting glass since i was about 12

PS. why does the forum trunkate my link? I can't easily preview it for correctness - have to click to double check

Edited by forthferalz