Help please with selection of Garmin GPS

I have been a long time user of a Garmin Etrex Summit, but am looking to upgrade. However, I am confused by Garmin models. The model I think I am interested in is the GMAP 60CSx which is talked about a lot in the Groundspeak forums. Amazon sell this, but when I go onto the Garmin UK website there is no mention of it. Instead there are models called Oregon and Colorado. What's the score here ? My main interest is to put OS maps on, which seem to be available from Garmin in the UK.

It would appear that if I want state of the art my choice lies between the Oregon and the Colorado. However, I cannot get my head round the pros and cons. Although a touchscreen sounds superficially attractive I wonder if there are problems using it out in the field eg. what about gloves, or accidentally pressing it. Is there anyone here with experience of either of these who could give me their opinion please.

It would appear that if I want state of the art my choice lies between the Oregon and the Colorado. However, I cannot get my head round the pros and cons. Although a touchscreen sounds superficially attractive I wonder if there are problems using it out in the field eg. what about gloves, or accidentally pressing it. Is there anyone here with experience of either of these who could give me their opinion please.

I have a Colorado and a couple of weeks ago I went out with a new cacher who had just bought an Oregon. I think we both quickly come to the same conclusion, the Colorado was better.

The screen was easier to see and the menus were easier to navigate. Although I'm sure with a bit of practice the menu "problem" would be overcome, for me the much better screen clarity on the Colorado made me glad I went for that model.

Ive got a fairly new Oregon and find it easy and useful in the field,the touch screen is great and you can lock the screen very simply by tapping the power button.It is great for paper free caching and offers wireless sharing between units but you only get the coords this way.MooToo

The Oregon works fine with gloves, because the touchscreen works by pressure rather than from your body's electrical field. The downside of this is that the screen is thicker and so the picture is not quite as bright as the Colorado's.

You can lock the screen when putting it in your pocket, although I forget to do that on occasion.

It would appear that if I want state of the art my choice lies between the Oregon and the Colorado.

Nothing from Garmin is ever state-of-the-art, or even close to it. :D

Perhaps I should have said "Garmin's state of the art". I like Garmin because of all the support for it as the leading brand.

I have a Colorado and a couple of weeks ago I went out with a new cacher who had just bought an Oregon. I think we both quickly come to the same conclusion, the Colorado was better.

The screen was easier to see and the menus were easier to navigate. Although I'm sure with a bit of practice the menu "problem" would be overcome, for me the much better screen clarity on the Colorado made me glad I went for that model.

I'll probably go with your opinion then, since clarity of display in bright light would be a key factor for me. Thanks.

I have a Colorado, which I upgraded from a Legend Cx. It's a great unit, but still throws a wobbly every now and again. Garmin did upgrade the software last November, but they could still do more to improve it.

I have found a way of putting Memory Map maps onto the Colorado, which can be used with the Image viewer. Obviously it won't plot your course on it, but it saves carrying a paper map with you.

Assuming you have MS Office 2007 - Basically, Select the area you want on Memory Map in the 'Print' option (use 200 + dots). When you select Printer, export image to MS Office One Note. This will Open up One Note with the Map on it. Now in One Note 'Select All' and 'Copy'.

Open up Windows Paint and 'Paste' the image in to it. You can now save it as a JPEG image with a name of your choice. I'd suggest now opening the saved image in a proper Photo editing program (I use Nero Photo Snap) where you can crop off the white bit at the bottom of the image left by One Note and improve the image.

Save it again and then upload it to the Colorado/Oregon. Of course, when in Paint, you could also dab bits of 'paint' on to the map to mark where the caches are or draw your route etc. on to it.

I've done this a number of times now and the image comes up really well on the screen, especially when you zoom in.