Mobile Phones

andyfee

How many cachers use there phone as there GPSr, the reason I ask my contract is due for an upgrade I have noticed that some phones have a GPSr in built. Are they worth it or not. Also Which one is best. I phone is not an option Orange do not do them and I don't want to move providers.

Many Thanks

Andy

I hope you don't mind someone outside of your region chiming in on this: I saw the topic and have some information for you.

From what I've read and been told:

The GPS in some Blackberries and iPhones does a good enough job that you would not need an actual GPSr, especially when coupled with Trimble's application or something similar.

My own personal experience:

I have a GPS capable Blackberry, it seems to work ok. The thing is, my carrier has a block on the GPS receiver and it only works with the OEM Blackberry Maps application and Verizon Wireless' navigation service. The OEM BB Maps software does not do coordinates so I don't use it to find caches. However, it does seem to be really accurate as far as telling me where I am on a street map. The reception is good - I can pick up a full strength 12 sat signal with it on the ground floor of a two story building with a LOT of steel overhead. It updates pretty fast as well.

All that said, if I were able to use Trimble Outdoors application or the GPSed application for the BB (I wish Verizon would remove the block!), there is no doubt in my mind that it would cause me to leave my GPSr in the pack as a backup unit and use my Blackberry for my primary caching device, as I can store cache listings and log Finds/DNFs right from the phone itself.

Edited by Old Chorizo

I have only just started Geocaching but i use a Blackberry Bold and use the Geocache Navigator application. I have not had any trouble so far and i have not used a standalone GPSr to compare, but as far as I'm concerned it works so I'm happy.

All i need now is a digital map so i can see footpaths instead of walking around with a OS of the area :rolleyes:

I have a Nokia N95 and Trimble Navigator installed (free) it's fab!!! I know loads of other cachers that use it as a back up - but careful... I am on T mobile and get free internet on my phone so I can use it with no extra cost. It also guzzles the battery, but it's great as a back up GPS.

Make sure you can disable Static Navigation as lots of phones have this enabled,which is OK for Tom Tom etc. but no good for caching.

I use an Asus p550(Vodaphone V1520) which had it enabled,it took me a long time to find some software that didn`t screw the GPS and allow me to disable it.

I use a nokia 6220 classic with trimble navigator, It has revolutionised my caching. Wonderful tool.

*BUT* it comes with a caveat.

If you want to cache abroad, roaming dataplans are extortionate. Meaning that you have to either fall back tothe basic gps functions of the phone, rather than the funky tool from trimble. Or, get a propper gps for when you are across the water.

I would advise against the Nokia N95 for this tho, the battery life sucks so so much. If you want to go more than about 6ft from a power socket, choose the 6220.

HTH

J

I use a nokia 6220 classic with trimble navigator, It has revolutionised my caching. Wonderful tool.

*BUT* it comes with a caveat.

If you want to cache abroad, roaming dataplans are extortionate. Meaning that you have to either fall back tothe basic gps functions of the phone, rather than the funky tool from trimble. Or, get a propper gps for when you are across the water.

I would advise against the Nokia N95 for this tho, the battery life sucks so so much. If you want to go more than about 6ft from a power socket, choose the 6220.

HTH

J

Could I ask what network you're on? I could never get my 6220 to work with my Vodafone account.

Could I ask what network you're on? I could never get my 6220 to work with my Vodafone account.

Mine is sim free. I use it in the Uk with three PAYG or orange PAYG. I also use it abroad with vodafone.nl. Works fine.

J

Thanks, I will have to give it another try.

I have only just started Geocaching but i use a Blackberry Bold and use the Geocache Navigator application. I have not had any trouble so far and i have not used a standalone GPSr to compare, but as far as I'm concerned it works so I'm happy.

All i need now is a digital map so i can see footpaths instead of walking around with a OS of the area :laughing:

If your phone is a Windows mobile device and you have Memory Map just load it onto the Phone. I use my Samsung Omnia as a back up to my PDA and it functions really well. I also load all the caches I want to find complete with linked text files for the notes, hint and previous logs. All this is done using Geocache Log, take a look for yourself.

My first post here so hello everyone.

I'm very to new to this, having only recently discovered geocaching by strumbling accross a free geocaching app in the my G1's marketplace (download area).

The app is Geobeagle (beta) and it's running on my Tmoblie G1. I also have Geodroid demo too but the demo license has run out so I can only use Geobeagle beta.

I found my first cache today, very pleased. I was using Geobeagle beta and its radar took me to within 2 metres of it!

Initially, it took me a while to figure out how to transer the co-ord's into Geobeagle beta without importing .gpx files, it isn't obvious to a first-timer like me but once I discovered how it was easy (it's done from the web not from the application):

(quoted from the Geobeagle FAQ with additions by me in square brackets. )

"Injecting a Link

You can also inject the coordinates into GeoBeagle by clicking on a link on the cache/letterbox's web page.

For geocaching.com:

[On the phone, in Geobeagle, search for a cache by pressing either the "list" or "map" buttons under the "Search for cache" heading. Providing the G1's GPS is enabled in the phone settings, the app will launch geocaching.com showing caches near my location. Personally I prefer searching by map. I then select the cache I want to visit and the cache page should appear, displaying lots of info about that cache. I make sure I'm logged in to geocaching.com.]

1. On the cache page, look for the group of links that starts with "For online maps..." [on the left hand side of the page, about 2/3 of the way down, below the google map image.] The first two links are "Geocaching.com Google Map" and "MyTopo Maps". Click on the third link: "Google Maps". (Note that this link exists only on the page that says "View Cache Details" at the top.)

2. Android will ask you what app you want to open the link with. Click on "GeoBeagle". The coordinates should now be loaded into GeoBeagle. Click on "Radar" to navigate to the cache. "

Edited by Roaming Celt

Used my O2 Nokia 5800 to find my first 2 caches so far I like it, been advised to get a primary GPS device as the 5800 isn't as robust as a stand alone device. But the tremble software makes all the difference and so far enjoy my new found hobby.

O2 have a policy that will only charge you a max 0.97p per day per data use, which inst bad for a day out, or get data free package, but the data it downloads isn't much at all.

Also point out as the 5800 is touch screen not all the functions are there, ie enter cords manually, but as mine is on my wireless networks Ic an download majority of data before setting off etc.

Edited by Biff0r

Used my O2 Nokia 5800 to find my first 2 caches so far I like it, been advised to get a primary GPS device as the 5800 isn't as robust as a stand alone device. But the tremble software makes all the difference and so far enjoy my new found hobby.

O2 have a policy that will only charge you a max 0.97p per day per data use, which inst bad for a day out, or get data free package, but the data it downloads isn't much at all.

Also point out as the 5800 is touch screen not all the functions are there, ie enter cords manually, but as mine is on my wireless networks Ic an download majority of data before setting off etc.

I'm also using a Nokia 5800 with Trimble's Geocache Navigator. I find it excellent as I hardly have to do any admin before going out, wherever I am I can fire up the application and be given a list of nearby caches, you can also mark a cache as found/not found and the results are fired off to www.geocaching.com in the field notes. If I only had a regular GPS (I do have an aged Garmin GPS40 in the house), I'd have to print off stuff and load the GPS before leaving the house.

Dave.

Edited by dodgyd

On my Freeware Pocket PC list this just came up:

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-gcz.html

It is a small (1 Meg) geocaching utility, much the same as that Trimble software for Sambian phones, but now for Pocket PC.

Once you have entered your GC name and password, it can download a few un-found caches from your GPS location. You can see the logs / hints / description of a selected cache. Once happy with hunting the cache, you lock it in and follow the arrow. If Google Maps is loaded then it seems like you can even get that as a view.

There also seems a place to enter a tracking number, so I assume one can track TBs and coins.

Very nice if you went out unprepared for a geocach outing.

As I side note:

I have cached for the last 2 years with my phone only using the GPS Tuner software. VERY good software. Only thing is I now have a Garmin eTrex, which is far more accurate. But does that allow me to find more caches? I don't really think so.

This is really interesting as I looged something about this very topic today on one of my finds.

So, for the record;

I have a HTC Touch HD (Orange Contract) that I today used in conjunction with an application called 'Richless GPSr' and GPX Sonar for managing .gpx files,

I was very surprised with not only the accuracy but also the speed of the connectivity to overhead satellites. Not to mention the fact that I can listen to .mp3s whilst walking.

iPhone.............................why bother? HTC have been doing this for years!!!!!

p.s I am not sponsored or employed by HTC :)

Best of luck on your search, hope my experience helps.

MobileMerlin

Hi all this is really interesting reading im just hoping someone may be able to help me out a bit! i have downloaded geocache navigator to my nokia n95 and when i load it and search for caches it keeps looking for my location for hours! can anyone help me as im really eager to use it, i have been doing it using the on screen maps so far no other gps.

Hi all this is really interesting reading im just hoping someone may be able to help me out a bit! i have downloaded geocache navigator to my nokia n95 and when i load it and search for caches it keeps looking for my location for hours! can anyone help me as im really eager to use it, i have been doing it using the on screen maps so far no other gps.

Try taking it outside so it`s got a good clear view of the sky,it can take a while before it locks on to the satellites on first use.

I only discovered Geocaching cos I got a new phone two weeks ago! I got an iphone (only available on O2) and was looking for a map application when the geocaching application appeared. Intrigued I found the website and have talked about nothing else since - and found five caches with the iphone.

The Iphone has an offical geocaching application you can download for a couple of pounds. When you want to find a geocache you can either look for a specific cache by number or ask the iphone to tell you all the nearby caches. It then links to google maps for mapping and has a compass/gps function for navigation. You can look up trackables and save favourite caches as well. I think you can even log your finds but I've not used that function yet.

I've downloaded a separate (and free) gps navigation application as well which proved useful at a multicache at the weekend when I needed to enter new coordinates - the geocache application doesn't like that! Accurate enough.

The iphone is pretty battery guzzling and not very hardy though so it rather depends on how you cache. I'm most likely to do caches when I've got a few spare minutes and can't always predict where in the country I'll be. I'm also unlikely to go out in the rain (!) so perfect for me.

I only discovered Geocaching cos I got a new phone two weeks ago! I got an iphone (only available on O2) and was looking for a map application when the geocaching application appeared. Intrigued I found the website and have talked about nothing else since - and found five caches with the iphone.

The Iphone has an offical geocaching application you can download for a couple of pounds. When you want to find a geocache you can either look for a specific cache by number or ask the iphone to tell you all the nearby caches. It then links to google maps for mapping and has a compass/gps function for navigation. You can look up trackables and save favourite caches as well. I think you can even log your finds but I've not used that function yet.

I've downloaded a separate (and free) gps navigation application as well which proved useful at a multicache at the weekend when I needed to enter new coordinates - the geocache application doesn't like that! Accurate enough.

The iphone is pretty battery guzzling and not very hardy though so it rather depends on how you cache. I'm most likely to do caches when I've got a few spare minutes and can't always predict where in the country I'll be. I'm also unlikely to go out in the rain (!) so perfect for me.

Looks like my exact story, apart from I got a Nokia 5800 :antenna:

Think my friends and relatives are going to lynch me, but over 2 weeks I have got another 4 people into the sport/hobby :antenna:

Edited by Biff0r