Commercial use of geocaching.

Just another one for the popcorns... or not.

Recently I was invited to perform a workshop about geocaching by the Azorean Tourism Association.

They want to increase geocaching in these "Enchanted Islands" in the middle of Atlantic (supposedly place of ancient Atlantis).

It's obvious the commercial component of this, but I think is a win-win situation, because one can cache all around in outstanding landscapes without having to pay attention to all the other activities they have... like whale watching, volcanos or scuba, etc.

What do you think... what are the wrongs and the rights?

PS: Azores are a portuguese archipelago of 9 islands divided in 3 groups... nowadays they have around 60 caches or so... most of them in São Miguel island with 30 and Terceira, with an american air base, with 20.

Edited by ruidealmeida

As long as they don't try to use the listing pages as a platform for advertising any group or business. As long as the caches are not located in businesses or require finders to interact with businesses. As long as the caches otherwise follow all the other guidelines.

Who cares who puts them together and hides them.

Just another one for the popcorns... or not.

Recently I was invited to perform a workshop about geocaching by the Azorean Tourism Association.

They want to increase geocaching in these "Enchanted Islands" in the middle of Atlantic (supposedly place of ancient Atlantis).

It's obvious the commercial component of this, but I think is a win-win situation, because one can cache all around in outstanding landscapes without having to pay attention to all the other activities they have... like whale watching or scuba, etc.

What do you think... what are the wrongs and the rights?

PS: Azores are a portuguese archipelago of 9 islands divided in 3 groups... nowadays they have around 60 caches or so... most of them in São Miguel island with 30.

It see this as tourism promotion, aka municipal/regional promotion, and it does not bother me at all. In fact, numerous regions in the USA and Canada, and elsewhere, do this already. It is all fun, at least to me.

As long as they don't try to use the listing pages as a platform for advertising any group or business. As long as the caches are not located in businesses or require finders to interact with businesses. As long as the caches otherwise follow all the other guidelines.

Who cares who puts them together and hides them.

Precisely what I advise them, thanks Star.

Google is your friend!

Try the keywords: geocaching and tourism

There is an especially good site here with lots of links to exactly what you're looking for: Geocaching Online Resource Directory: Tourism

I have to give a shout out to my favorite. It's strictly non commercial. Huron History Mystery Tour

Deane

AKA: DeRock & The Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Great idea! Attracts the independent traveler who likes to explore 'off the beaten path'.

The Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau (ACVB) here in Alaska has a classy geocaching webpage, put together in collaboration with award-winning middle school teacher (and geocacher) WarrenPeace.

On the main page of the ACVB website there's a geocaching.com logo and link to the webpage "Geocaching Journeys - Explore Anchorage on a High-Tech Treasure Hunt!".

Very well-done; local cachers gave permission for their hides to be included; the geocaching webpage is set up to introduce casual browsers (muggles!) to the game as well as feed the interest of experienced cachers; the full-color booklet available from the ACVB is an exquisite guide to caching the sprawling 'Big Wild Life' city's various geographic sections... the ACVB put quite an effort into their geocaching promo, and it looks awesome!

Here's a screen shot from the geo webpage - gotta love Seymour the Moose!

Goodness knows we bump into his cousins often enough while caching here...

2ce6a7f6-e925-4fa5-832d-c4d5ea7acef3.jpg

Google is your friend!

Try the keywords: geocaching and tourism

There is an especially good site here with lots of links to exactly what you're looking for: Geocaching Online Resource Directory: Tourism

I have to give a shout out to my favorite. It's strictly non commercial. Huron History Mystery Tour

Deane

AKA: DeRock & The Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Thanks for the links!

Great idea! Attracts the independent traveler who likes to explore 'off the beaten path'.

The Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau (ACVB) here in Alaska has a classy geocaching webpage, put together in collaboration with award-winning middle school teacher (and geocacher) WarrenPeace.

On the main page of the ACVB website there's a geocaching.com logo and link to the webpage "Geocaching Journeys - Explore Anchorage on a High-Tech Treasure Hunt!".

Very well-done; local cachers gave permission for their hides to be included; the geocaching webpage is set up to introduce casual browsers (muggles!) to the game as well as feed the interest of experienced cachers; the full-color booklet available from the ACVB is an exquisite guide to caching the sprawling 'Big Wild Life' city's various geographic sections... the ACVB put quite an effort into their geocaching promo, and it looks awesome!

Here's a screen shot from the geo webpage - gotta love Seymour the Moose!

Goodness knows we bump into his cousins often enough while caching here...

2ce6a7f6-e925-4fa5-832d-c4d5ea7acef3.jpg

Thank you... this will enlight the azorean folks.

I see nothing wrong with it, with the caveats given by other posters. While browsing local cache pages, I have come across one where the hider asked a hotel could he leave the cache in their parking lot (just in case they got concerned with people looking), and once geocaching was explained to the manager, he said yes and apparently was delighted as he thoguht it might lead to visiting geocachers staying at his hotel.

Some tourist locations like Asheville NC have decided to make their 2008 geotourism activity so commercial that it could never be published on geocaching.com. I won't even post a link, but again, google is your friend.

The local tourism bureau got swag from local merchants to place in the caches. You could only get the coords to the caches if you wee a guest at one of the particpating inns or hotels. Some of them even offered GPS rentals or loaners.

So your Azoran? friends can decide how important listing the caches are at geocaching.com, or if they want to be more commercial than is permitted here.