Adopted caches

maldar

Since I play the game my way I thought I would make this suggestion.

When I moved a few years back I adopted all my physical caches to another local cacher. Since I know exactly where the caches are I don't feel right claiming a find on those caches.

What I suggest is that when the original placer of a cache adopts out their cache that they get an adoption stat/icon along with their hides and finds stats/icons. This would only apply to the original placer/owner as all others that adopt the cache afterwords should have found the cache before adopting. This would be issued at the time the adoption is completed.

I think will help distinguish responsible cachers that take the time to find someone to take over a cache.

Just a suggestion.

I appreciate the fact that you were thoughtful enough to find new owners for your caches. Unfortunately, a lot of adoptions take place for exactly the opposite reason. People lose interest, or are just to lazy to maintain their caches. A concerned cacher then manages to get in touch with them, and arranges the ownership transfer.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I was asked to post the following:

I love your idea.

As the owner of a tribute username for a fallen cacher I'd love his original account to show all the caches that he used to own. Since he died they are all adopted out and his account is pretty barren.

As a disclosure, The above came from a temp banned user. I thought that should be known, as you would be asking why the person is not posting themselves. The user is unknown to me and as is the reason for the ban.

I appreciate the fact that you were thoughtful enough to find new owners for your caches. Unfortunately, a lot of adoptions take place for exactly the opposite reason. People lose interest, or are just to lazy to maintain their caches. A concerned cacher then manages to get in touch with them, and arranges the ownership transfer.

In that case, maybe adding an Icon showing the caches you have adopted would be nice also; you didn't really hide the cache, but did something to keep it alive.

In that case, maybe adding an Icon showing the caches you have adopted would be nice also; you didn't really hide the cache, but did something to keep it alive.

Make it part of the 'Friends' feature.