Funny caches

My sous chef and I went caching one day and found one that was definitely an interesting container. It was one of those water-squirting toys shaped like an odd fish, bug-eyes and everything. A hole was cut in the bottom and filled in with the top of a water bottle so it could have a screw top.mugglechef-1-1.jpg

Cruddy cell-phone picture taken on the site with said cache.

One I found said on the cache page that you had to find the log. When I got to GZ I opened the ammo can and found a tupperware container. Inside that was another container, and if I remember correctly some of those nesting dolls that are a series of ever smaller containers too. Inside of it all was a small note that said "you haven't found it yet!" It's the only cache I've seen where you can find the container and still log a DNF. I liked it, still makes me grin just writing about it.

The funniest one we found was actually in the fence row of a cemetery, and it wasn't really even the cache, but an epitaph we saw on a headstone near it. I had seen this saying before but never on a headstone. It made me wish I had known the person buried there! The epitaph read:

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it.

Well, it struck us as funny anyway ... maybe you had to have been there? :)

Edited for spelling.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

The funniest cache I have found was one in a business parking lot that had a metal stairway going up to the entrance of the office. After doing the crazy bee dance for a minute to get to GZ, I looked under the stairs and saw hundreds of plastic 35mm film canisters sticking to the underside of the metal landing. I just sat down and laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

Edited by jmd65

Most fun cache find? Why that would be "(Uncle_) Fun at Willowood Park

(GCNJ97)". Waypoint 1 had the coords for WP2 in a can filled with flying snakes (I crapped my pants and screamed like a little girl), WP2 had the coords written on the bottom of a plastic dog turd. The final was a basic ammo can (not so much fun), but had coords to a bonus cache -- to get credit you had to take a photo of yourself in clown gear (clown gear inside bonus cache container). Good times!

There's this unofficial "series" of caches (hope the link to the Bookmark works):

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...41-d2e0d476b675

I've resisted finding one, but have similar plans on a placement. :rolleyes:

Is that a link to my bookmark list? If not then the link must not work. If so then that's cool. B) Kinda threw me off guard.

Ahhh...so it is! Have one along a similar line in the works (hence knowing of the bookmark), just not ready yet. :blink: BTW, I think these are great!

My sous chef and I went caching one day and found one that was definitely an interesting container. It was one of those water-squirting toys shaped like an odd fish, bug-eyes and everything. A hole was cut in the bottom and filled in with the top of a water bottle so it could have a screw top.mugglechef-1-1.jpg

Very strange post.... I ain't got no idea what a "sous chef" is, but I guess that it is some kinda subspecies of human, and one that is peculiar to the Colorado habitat. Very weird...

One I found said on the cache page that you had to find the log. When I got to GZ I opened the ammo can and found a tupperware container. Inside that was another container, and if I remember correctly some of those nesting dolls that are a series of ever smaller containers too. Inside of it all was a small note that said "you haven't found it yet!" It's the only cache I've seen where you can find the container and still log a DNF. I liked it, still makes me grin just writing about it.

That reminds me of a fairly new cache that I found here in Seattle. In one of our local parks, someone put out a huge ammo can with 500 film canisters inside. It was easy finding the can, but the real hunt was for the logbook, somewhere inside one of the film canisters. And you couldn't do the "shake and listen" method (the owner made the logbook big enough to where it doesn't jumble around inside), you had to physically open every canister to check. It took me about 20 minutes to find the logbook, but I think I got lucky compared to some of the other finders! :rolleyes:

That reminds me of a fairly new cache that I found here in Seattle. In one of our local parks, someone put out a huge ammo can with 500 film canisters inside. It was easy finding the can, but the real hunt was for the logbook, somewhere inside one of the film canisters. And you couldn't do the "shake and listen" method (the owner made the logbook big enough to where it doesn't jumble around inside), you had to physically open every canister to check. It took me about 20 minutes to find the logbook, but I think I got lucky compared to some of the other finders! B)

I am actually planning a cache that is something like that, except it will be in one of those five gallon containers. Maybe only a three gallon, but it is still a lot of fun. Hey, thanks, and have a great day! gwf :blink::D:D:rolleyes::D

That reminds me of a fairly new cache that I found here in Seattle. In one of our local parks, someone put out a huge ammo can with 500 film canisters inside. It was easy finding the can, but the real hunt was for the logbook, somewhere inside one of the film canisters. And you couldn't do the "shake and listen" method (the owner made the logbook big enough to where it doesn't jumble around inside), you had to physically open every canister to check. It took me about 20 minutes to find the logbook, but I think I got lucky compared to some of the other finders! :o

There are a few like that in our region, but with a twist... you drive up to an unassuming light pole in the middle of a parking lot, walk over to the lamp skirt, lift it up...

...and dozens of film cans come pouring out onto the pavement! :laughing: Only one of them contains the actual log.

Wow, what a cool idea! I would be curious as to what the feedback would be like on the logs though - what was it called?

I heard of a cache that was an ammo can. When you opened the can, a double contact alarm went off until you closed the can back up. The catch was that the can was filled with aquarium gravel, and their was a micro container hidden in the gravel. You could not close the container until you sifted through the gravel and found the micro. So the alarm went off the entire time you looked.

We've done a few memorable funny caches. Not sure we top 500 film cannisters in an ammo can though that would be torture.

A couple of favorites.

In a cliff area where snakes and black widow spiders are common, I peered into a crevice and "An oversized goose decoy". I actually jumped, as I'd never seen a goose up in the cliffs before.

Another cache in a local park. Your hunting for a small cache in a dense forest around a fallen tree. Pick up a branch and a rubber spider jumps out at you. Surprising as heck. If you lift the branch quickly, the rubber spider really jumps as it is attached to the stick with an elastic cord. The log is bison capsule glued to the underside of the rubber spider.

Edited by debtodd007

Hello everyone,

I have some plans in the works for a funny cache. But I just wanted to know what was the

funniest cache you found out there. It does not have to be a cool cache container or a very

clever hide. But was there something about finding the cache that was very unique and funny.

Thanks. :)

I know of one that had a real stuffed squirrel inside a log, placed to look straight at you when you moved the cover aside. I actually jumped back, and used a stick to get it out. Squirrels can be very nasty when disturbed...I laughed about it all the way to my truck...

Wow, what a cool idea! I would be curious as to what the feedback would be like on the logs though - what was it called?

The cache is Where's the log book, GC11MVV. A very popular cache.

Thanks for considering those worthy the funny caches thread. My wife makes those and she was tickled pink to hear people talking about them. :)

Thanks for considering those worthy of the funny caches thread. My wife makes those and she was tickled pink to hear people talking about them. :)

Edited by daschpeeg

there's a cache me and friend found that was pretty funny, we where on the spot of where it is and couldnt figure out where it is, so i just out of nowhere just fliped this log over and there was the cache container. so i started to kinda laugh :) and told my friend "found it".

The cache is Where's the log book, GC11MVV. A very popular cache.

So after looking through the logs, I take it that there IS actually a log book there, but it's hidden somewhere else in the cache where you wouldn't expect to find it?

So after looking through the logs, I take it that there IS actually a log book there, but it's hidden somewhere else in the cache where you wouldn't expect to find it?

Yep, that's it exactly. I won't post where it is on the forum, but if you're still wondering send me an email. I figure even though it's a give away, you deserve the smilie if you travel to the other side of the world for this cache :laughing:

There's one near here - I won't name it in case it spoils the fun.. but it's one where the cache page explains that it's a multi and finders have to move the log book to one of the other locations in the multi... things like "under the fence" and "beside the pond" and such.

When I was considering finding this one, I knew the area and didn't realize it had so many "features" - I thought it was a small wood lot - no pond, no tree house etc.

When I found the cache, it was a container with a bunch of film canisters marked "beside the pond", "under the fence"... the log is in one of the canisters. The requirement is that you have to list in your log, all the "places" you looked before you found the log, and not mention where you hid it.

For a few years everybody has played along - people have written some really funny logs about falling in the pond, tearing their pants on the fence...

The last log I read was by somebody who doesn't get it... and may have spoiled it - I haven't re-read lately but perhaps they realized their mistake and fixed it - it's too amusing to read the stories people tell of their adventure finding it, to have it spoiled now!

Jenn

This past weekend I did a cache that was called I believe "Something we just have to do" It was in the back part of a cemetary (one thing we have to do, Die)and the coordinates indicated I had to go into a building. I did not want to go in without permission so I went back to my truck and read the clue. Into the building I went. It was a long forgotten outhouse, one other thing we just have to do.