Underwater Caches

Hi GeekKitty - yes you can search by attribute if you're a premium member.

You need to create a pocket query and select the scuba symbol from the attributes list. It's not 100% accurate, as some caches are listed as scuba which clearly are not, and there is always the chance that some are scuba and not marked.

However I've had a quick search based on the location of your fisrt cache hide and found the following:

20,000 Leagues Under the Pub

Going Down

What's in Your Gullet

Not many, and you might have to drive a bit but they look like fun :)

:) Yes there is at least one down South,,,go for it

Is there a mechanism for searching based on attributes of the cache, such as "needs scuba"?

I can't seem to find it, am I being blind ?

J

You would have thought so wouldn't you? But you can't without PQs AFAIK.

Try this Bookmark List (if you're in the US :) ).

Also try words diving related words in your cache search. i.e. SCUBA, underwater etc.

Edited by SidAndBob

They should be rated 5/5 as "special equipment" is needed...

Why 5/5??

5 for terrain, yes. But why does everybody automatically rate the difficulty 5 as well?

You could have spot on co-ords, with a clearly visible cache - albeit 20 metres underwater - giving a difficulty of 1 even if you needed scuba to get it.........

Why 5/5??

5 for terrain, yes. But why does everybody automatically rate the difficulty 5 as well?

You could have spot on co-ords, with a clearly visible cache - albeit 20 metres underwater - giving a difficulty of 1 even if you needed scuba to get it.........

I didn't write the rules! :blink: It wasn't should as in MUST be rated 5/5

It's more "If you search the 5/5 caches, you will probably find caches that require "Special Equipment" ie Scuba gear.

And... If you don't have the gear, are claustrophobic and swim like a brick, it's not a 1 difficulty! :rolleyes:

Why 5/5??

I didn't write the rules! :blink: It wasn't should as in MUST be rated 5/5

It's more "If you search the 5/5 caches, you will probably find caches that require "Special Equipment" ie Scuba gear.

And... If you don't have the gear, are claustrophobic and swim like a brick, it's not a 1 difficulty! :rolleyes:

I haven't gone back to check, but my understanding was that it must be a T5 or a D5, but not necessarily both.

Also my understanding is that the difficulty of getting there should be reflected in the terrain rating, how hard it is to find it after you get there is the difficulty rating. Also, while I understand it is difficult for someone who is "claustrophobic and swims like a brick", that aspect is covered by the terrain rating. If the difficulty of the terrrain was always reflected in the difficulty rating too, there wouldn't be much point in having separate ratings.

Rgds, Andy

(This has been discussed on the US side of the forums)

Clayjar's rating system www.clayjar.com/gcrs/

as linked to -recommended by?- Groundspeak- lists:

Difficulty rating:

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain rating:

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficulty.

The discussion on the other side suggested a "Special Equipment Needed" attribute, so that a cache can be marked with the 'correct' D/T rating, but also have "Special Equipment Needed" attribute to stop those that don't read the descriptions from running straight out after a cache.

I think that is why they get rated 5/5 - to stop people running straight out, and then complaining...

But then, elsewhere on Groundspeak, "Special Equipment" is listed as:

Access or parking fee

Climbing gear

Boat

Scuba gear

Flashlight required

Maybe it's time Groundspeak did have a way to mark a cache as "Special Equipment Needed" other than 5/5

(This has been discussed on the US side of the forums)

But then, elsewhere on Groundspeak, "Special Equipment" is listed as:

Access or parking fee

Flashlight required

So practically every city centre or night cache should be a 5* ?????

I think I'll stick to clayjar..... :laughing::o

Edited by keehotee

I set an underwater cache and was told by a reviewer to make it 5/5. End of story.

Not all are 5/5 !

Try 'Underwater cache'

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b9-a64147971f7a

1.5 / 2.5 rating !

:unsure::ph34r::ph34r::D

That's good. I was told to make it a 5/5 but it was maybe a 5/3. The difficulty was its invisibility cos of the silt. Actually, I caught giardiasis from the river bugs, so maybe it was a 5/5. :rolleyes: