So, what am I supposed to do with these?

JBnW

So there's an active military base nearby; active in the business of turning full ammo cans into empty ammo cans. I occassionally work with the folks in the Environment and Conservation office who, among other things, stockpile the used ammo cans for lot sales at the DRMO or recycling. It's somewhat of a very little secret that anyone wanting an ammo can just needs to ask, and come out and grab one or two. So I gave them a call the other day, asking if they had any laying around. They said they had a bunch, and needed to come into town anyway, would be happy to bring 'em to me...did I want the "small" or "large" ones?? Now I'm thinking .30 CAL or .50 CAL are the options. So we ask for a half-dozen "small" and a dozen "large".

I wasn't there when they dropped the ammo cans off.

By "small", these guys were thinking .50 CAL. "Large" means M224 Mortar cans!! :) Imagine something the size of a .50 CAL can, same width and length, but 3x as tall!! :):) These things are suitcases!! And now I have 16 of 'em! Plus the half dozen .50 CALs!! It's gonna have to be a mighty big cottonwood tree to hide these suckers!! But I guess I can't complain of the price. ;)

So, how much luck has anyone had "hiding" one of these things?? I'd imagine a herd of hamsters could live their lives unmolested in one of these, and never be seen in the darkness of these cavernous containers!

LOL! Look not the gift horse in the mouth! We've got a few of those 'large' size hidden up here in Alaska right in the city of Anchorage (but we have bears and moose in the city too...) I've got two ready to place sitting in the garage. The 50cal are great for TB hotels etc. I secure 'em with a bike lock cable run through an eye hook bolted into the body of the box and looped through another big eye on the top - security for the container, if not the contents. Keeps unequipped thieves empty-handed!

What kind of hiding environments do you have? I have hidden large containers like these before. One is under a semi large cedar tree, large for Kansas, puny for mountainous lands. There was a trunk of another tree laying under it. I put the container under the cedar and laying flat on the ground on the back side beside the fallen trunk. See GCTAAM.

Another instance, I put one inside a thick juniper bush. It lasted for quite a while, until winter came and some homeless person moved in and then my box disappeared. I replaced the cache with the same and it disappeared too. After the second one is when I learned of the "local urban outdoorsman". I was told by one cacher that he thought the first one mentioned above was muggled because he saw a homeless guy walking around with a big box with "Geocache" written in big letters on it. No, it was just the guy who lived at this one. See GCXCYC.

You have a great opportunity. Anytime you see a spot where you can completely conceal the whole thing, go for the big one. They make for better caching stories.

cantuland

Aha! The Little Apple and a military base nearby...

I grew up in a tiny town called Ogden. I know your environment very well. Look for clumps of small cedar trees and put them there. The whole world uses the geocaching forums and I'm replying to a cacher in my own stomping grounds.

a35952a1-e0df-498f-bafc-f55a487e816e.jpg

Piece of cake, just a little trouble getting it there ;) Loaded it up with about 40 pounds of goodies. I have several large caches, this is the biggest.

LOL!! OK, so my Mortar cans aren't THAT big...

Thanks for the ideas so far, I'm thinking I'm gonna chain these to our local scrawny cedar trees to keep them in place, and the exchange idea is a great one! We also have a local puzzle-master/micro-hider who will probably get one for Christmas. :):)

:)

I'm in a local forum that one of the members had for sale some of them big one like in the picture here people posted. I wanted a few of them but being out of a job & miles between us I didn't get my hands on none. I was going to fill it about 3/4 full of concrete & let it dry, Throw in some swag & log book & Dollie it out in the middle of some woods & Name it, "Please! Don't steal this Cache" lol

a35952a1-e0df-498f-bafc-f55a487e816e.jpg

Piece of cake, just a little trouble getting it there :D Loaded it up with about 40 pounds of goodies. I have several large caches, this is the biggest.

LOL!! OK, so my Mortar cans aren't THAT big...

Thanks for the ideas so far, I'm thinking I'm gonna chain these to our local scrawny cedar trees to keep them in place, and the exchange idea is a great one! We also have a local puzzle-master/micro-hider who will probably get one for Christmas. :D:rolleyes:

B)

Where is the little apple? i live in orem, utah, and so I am probably near to the army base or whatever you are talking about. Also, who is that geocacher that youare talking about who is the master puzzle and micro hider? I bet I can match or beat your cacher with one of my own. Hey, thanks and have a great day! gwf :D:D:blink::D

Where is the little apple? i live in orem, utah, and so I am probably near to the army base or whatever you are talking about. Also, who is that geocacher that youare talking about who is the master puzzle and micro hider? I bet I can match or beat your cacher with one of my own. Hey, thanks and have a great day! gwf :D:DB)B)

Oh, c'mon!!! You don't know this?? And BTW, it's "The Little Apple", we prefer Upper Case ! :D:rolleyes::D:blink::D We get broadcast on ABC nationwide every New Year's Eve!

I'll give one hint, the military base is the current home of The Big Red 1, and it's not near Utah. :DB):D

But your local base would probably be willing to part with a couple of ammo cans, if they have live firing and you ask nicely. Check the Yellow Pages for either a DRMO or Environment and Conservation contact.

Cheers!

Where is the little apple? i live in orem, utah, and so I am probably near to the army base or whatever you are talking about. Also, who is that geocacher that youare talking about who is the master puzzle and micro hider? I bet I can match or beat your cacher with one of my own. Hey, thanks and have a great day! gwf :DB)B)B)

Oh, c'mon!!! You don't know this?? And BTW, it's "The Little Apple", we prefer Upper Case ! :D:rolleyes::D:blink::D We get broadcast on ABC nationwide every New Year's Eve!

I'll give one hint, the military base is the current home of The Big Red 1, and it's not near Utah. :DB):D

But your local base would probably be willing to part with a couple of ammo cans, if they have live firing and you ask nicely. Check the Yellow Pages for either a DRMO or Environment and Conservation contact.

Cheers!

So where is it? Salt lake city? I am thinking that is what it is. Thanks, and have a great day! gwf B):DB)

Where is the little apple? i live in orem, utah, and so I am probably near to the army base or whatever you are talking about. Also, who is that geocacher that youare talking about who is the master puzzle and micro hider? I bet I can match or beat your cacher with one of my own. Hey, thanks and have a great day! gwf :DB)B)B)

Cheers!

So where is it? Salt lake city? I am thinking that is what it is. Thanks, and have a great day! gwf B):DB)

Google. Wikipedia. Search Engine.

I think you should use them to waterproof the film canister caches in the area. :o

Now there's an idea...Random Acts of Kindness!!

"I found this cache today and the peanut butter jar container has seen its better days and needs a little TLC. Should survive the elements now!"

:laughing: