How do you get logs out of nano's?

JJFood

I always have my little swiss army knife with me. It's on my keychain. It does have tweezers in it. When I was a child, maybe 10yrs.old, my grandfather told me the best tool to always have with you is a pocket knife. He said that it does not have to be big; a small one is perfect, because you never know when you'll use it for anything. So as I got into my teen years and got my drivers license, I bought a swiss army knife for $12. I can honestly say that that knife have "paid for itself" ten thousand time over!

If you don't already have one, please go get one. It's a very useful TOTT!!!!

Edited by Team O-Zone

I always have my little swiss army knife with me. It's on my keychain. It does have tweezers in it. When I was a child, maybe 10yrs.old, my grandfather told me the best tool to always have with you is a pocket knife. He said that it does not have to be big; a small one is perfect, because you never know when you'll it for anything. So as I got into my teen years and got my drivers license, I bought a swiss army knife for $12. I can honestly say that that knife have "paid for itself" ten thousand time over!

I carry a Leatherman Micra in my purse and in my caching bag. Very handy item! :)

blowtorch.

Do I detect a hint of hostility? ;)

hey, the guy asked for an easier method.

:D:):):) Now that's one way to go about it. I've to a little metal "keyring" that just is a thin piece of metal and it slip's into the center of the log making it easy to pull out.

Putting them back in is a whole other story...

blowtorch.
Do I detect a hint of hostility?
hey, the guy asked for an easier method.
Hmm.... :)

This method would also solve the problem of how to get the log out for future cachers, as well.

Unfortunately, I believe the OP was looking for methods that would allow for signing the log afterward...

oh.

well, i was thinking of changing my username to "flame"...

subsequent cachers are not my problem.

come to think of it, subsequent cachers will appreciate having the spot opened up for a nice, new, full-sized logbook.

I do very fine, delicate electronic work all day, and have no problem with that kind of stuff. However, its nothing like trying to deal with a micro or nano in cold weather when you have to take your gloves off to open the stupid thing and extract the log. I'd almost rather go to the dentist.

Not to mention when the cache owner doesn't bother to put a fresh log in when the old one is full, and someone stuffs something else in there with their sig just to get a smiley. Grrrrrr!

Like the others, I've found the Swiss Army Knife tweezers work wonders, but the self-closing tweezers look pretty handy as well, especially for rewinding the log. Best stick a cork or something over the end of the tweezers or store them in a tube -- I can see ramming them through your hand during a blind grab into your caching bag.

I just can't figure out how to get them out with out writing on the log while getting it out :) Please tell us an easier method, instead of shaking REALLY hard :)

Tweezers or medical clamps.. Just make sure the ends of the clamps aren't dirty though. It's hard to explain to a policeman why you're out in a dark parking lot with them...

"Honest Officer,,, it Really IS a Hobby.."

ball peen hammer.

Yes, quick and very effective. :) I prefer a 20 pound mullet myself. It will flatten those like a pancake in one wack. Putting the log, right in it's place.

the ball peen allows you to center the log nicely in the container with a proper delicate touch.

what happens in the milliseconds after that is of no concern to me.

ball peen hammer.

Yes, quick and very effective. I prefer a 20 pound mullet myself. It will flatten those like a pancake in one wack. Putting the log, right in its place.

A railroad track also works!

of course.

that's what one puts under the container in order to maintain a nice steady grip.

ball peen hammer.

Yes, quick and very effective. I prefer a 20 pound mullet myself. It will flatten those like a pancake in one wack. Putting the log, right in its place.

A railroad track also works!

of course.

that's what one puts under the container in order to maintain a nice steady grip.

After I find a nano I do need to get a grip! :)

Edited by TrailGators

I always have my little swiss army knife with me. It's on my keychain. It does have tweezers in it. When I was a child, maybe 10yrs.old, my grandfather told me the best tool to always have with you is a pocket knife. He said that it does not have to be big; a small one is perfect, because you never know when you'll it for anything. So as I got into my teen years and got my drivers license, I bought a swiss army knife for $12. I can honestly say that that knife have "paid for itself" ten thousand time over!

I had a swiss army knife for a very long time. I put it in one of my travel bags when I went to Maine last summer, then used the same bag when I went out to California for a business meeting a few months ago. Of course, when I went through the security checkpoint at the airport I forgot that I had left it that bag and it was confiscated.

Now I keep a regular set of tweezers in my TOTT bag (a small fan^H^H^H waist bag) that I'll be carrying on with me on an upcoming trip as there is a cache at one of the airports I'll be traveling through that I want to grab.

Not really advice on extracting the log, but just be sure to sign it clearly:

THIS CACHE WAS FOUND BY AZCACHEMEISTER ON FEBRUARY TWENTY-NINTH, TWO THOUSAND NINE.

Yes, really.

(Don't sign it AZcachemeister, but use your own geo-nick.)

No, wait! DO sign it AZcachemeister, and send me the waypoint ID.

I do wonder why some many people do feel the need to write their full handle and date on these logs. :)

Back OT-paper clip works well.

There are some locations where these are an appropriate container. But for the others flask's suggestions aren't bad.

We use a small Hemostats. They are used in the Medical Field as a Clamping devise. You can get these at about any place that sells Medical supplies & even some sporting good store & I'm sure there a few other places too.

After you sign the log you can clamp it to the end of the little log sheet & using finger & thumb you can roll what the log in no time. Works great for us. Behind we added them to our geo tool bag we sure cussed a few nanos too,,lol

Hope this helps.

This has come up before and in one of those threads I heard about a tool called a quilling tool. This small tool has a slot in it. It is meant for rolling paper strips to create a streamer effect. I just got a couple of them online and gave them to my caching buddies. We put them to good use over the weekend on a caching run and were amazed at how quickly it made the job of removing and then re-rolling and putting the log back into the nanos. Although it's not to close a picture, here's what it looks like sandys_small_tool_643.jpg. The tool is about 3 inches long and the width of pen refill. I highly recommend it.

Never had any problems with just shaking them out into my hand. Now putting them back..........

Y'know, if y'all'd just scientifically analyze this thang, you'd realize it's the log's length that's problematic.

If you just fold 'em in half, they're much shorter ergo becomes lots easier to get 'em back in.

~*

Never had any problems with just shaking them out into my hand. Now putting them back..........

Y'know, if y'all'd just scientifically analyze this thang, you'd realize it's the log's length that's problematic.

If you just fold 'em in half, they're much shorter ergo becomes lots easier to get 'em back in.

~*

..and no concern for the conservation of matter.

physics: not just a good idea, it's the law.

I just can't figure out how to get them out with out writing on the log while getting it out :) Please tell us an easier method, instead of shaking REALLY hard :D

I found this method to work when no other tools available.

Hold the end of the open micro that has the log in it in your dominant hand between index and thumb, then slap to heel of that hand against the heel of the other hand a few times, and the log will come out. If not all the way, at least enough so you can grab it. Just try it, its easier than you think.

Cheers

Nanologology

Nanos! Great challenges to find but the challenges don’t stop there. Ever had a log that seemed to be glued in and no tools at hand to get it out with? I’ve tried the inertia methods where I either tap the edge of the nano, hoping to creep the log out enough to grab it with my fingernails or the more vigorous thumping hoping to get it to fly out altogether. Usually my bruised knuckles give out before the tiny log does. One day after several tappers and thumpers and tender digits I decided to apply my noggin to nano logging.

My first thought was that a handle would be nice, so I went to my eclectic library and dug out the old origami book. Well a paper swan log would be really cool but wouldn’t fit in the nano, so I just folded one end at a 45 degree angle and then folded the small vertical tail in half. That left me with a thin flag sticking up that was slightly stiffer yet still flexible enough to give when the nano was screwed back together.

The next revelation came when I was rolling the log up with its little tail in the center and aah aah sneeeezed. Well that sneeze was a doozy and my hands pulled away from each other, pulling that little flag out of the center of the roll quite a ways so that it looked like a paper corkscrew. Ok I roll it back up real small and place it in the nano and the flag just jumps up at me. I push it down and it springs back up. So I pulled the center all the way out and then re-roll it. It sprang up even higher. Screwed the base on the nano, unscrewed the nano and the log jumped up like a soldier at attention, waving the little flag. Wow! I think I’m on to something!

A few hours later with cramped fingers from opening nanos and re-rolling them it dawned on me (literally, I had spent all night playing with paper springs and having paper soldiers salute me) that if I rolled the log up in a cone shape, that I had more” handle” and could roll it up quicker and tighter without developing nano claw in my rolling hand.

Well, being exhausted and suffering from nano claw anyway, I went to bed and slept fitfully but at least my hand uncramped. After a cup of coffee I decided to cut new logs because if I could roll them up easier I could make them longer and have to replace the log less often. I folded up my tails, did the initial flat roll, pulled out the center by the flag stretched it out into a good spring, rolled it up like a cone and placed it into the nano. Grabbed another cup of coffee and opened the nano up. Oh nooo! My little soldier was barely peeking his head out over the bunker and if it wasn’t for the flag I would have had to tap or thump it out. Hmmm my greed or laziness in making the log longer was causing too much friction for the spring effect to work Easy fix, snip off a bit and it was jumping higher than ever.

Ok I had this mastered and replaced my first nano cache log with my new sprung log and waited for the next finder to extol the virtues of the wondrous self extracting nanolog. Hmm a few weeks went by before it was found. No mention of the log’s action. Ok a few more finders and still no mention so I went to check on it, opened it up and the log just sat there, no salute, nothing. Grrrr I sprung it out re-rolled it and it worked beautifully again. I guess paper just doesn’t have the tensile memory of steel but if the twist is reapplied it will work a bit longer. I might have to try again with rite in the rain paper as it is a stiffer paper to begin with it may retain its springiness longer. In the mean time until my nanolog theories catch on, I carry a sewing pin with the big ball on one end, about 2 inches long stuck in my cache hat and haven’t bruised a knuckle since.

So did I mention a had a few thoughts on bison tube logs as well?

~*

..and no concern for the conservation of matter.

physics: not just a good idea, it's the law.

Hmm... while I see your point, Flask, I think Star*Hopper has hit upon an idea. If the log is folded in half, you don't save any space, but you do cut the amount of effort in rolling up those silly things in half!

Y'know, there is this one li'l trick I learned.....

It might not help YOU, THIS time but if you start doing it & word can get around & your locals start doing it too, maybe it'll be of some help.

Basically, just fold the bottom end of the logstrip across itself so there's a li'l 'flag' sticking up.....

Made a quick sketch:

nanoflag.jpg

.....and roll it from that end up to the top before inserting in the nano-container. The 'flag' just squooshes down flat when you screw the container-halves back together, so doesn't become any kind've obstruction.

Then, finders can easily 'pinch' the flag between thumb & forefingernails - pull on it slightly & the center portion of the rolled-up strip 'cones' outward, reducing its diameter a bit, & the whole log comes out with practically no resistance.

I do that to all my nano's before I ever place 'em.

It works! Biggest hurdle, of course, is the practice becoming 'common knowledge' & folks using it.

~*

WOW, I was just thinking about this ealier tonight. I set out to the workshop and made my own tool to roll up logs and to help get em out. Its nice having my own little metal shop to work out of. I had some pins that are very small. welded 2 of them together then with the band saw, cut about half and inch down between the welded pins. Then I just welded them to a small piece of round stock for a handle and badabing. It works great for nanos and all micros. Even the micros can be a pain in the but to roll up or get out of the container. If I get a chance, I will snap a pic of it and post it.