PL added to name

kpejr

I found EZ6531 it was originally stamped 1983 and named annex. It was restamped 2008 and is now named pl Annex or plannex.

Does anyone know why they did this or what it means. I downloaded the new datasheet from the NGS site and it didn't have any information. I aslo search their site for pl annex and plannex.

EZ6531

Thanks

I found EZ6531 it was originally stamped 1983 and named annex. It was restamped 2008 and is now named pl Annex or plannex.

That's a strange one! The last documented recovery was when one of our members (Kyle) stopped by in 2007. I'm not aware of any area surveyor or NCGS personnel with the initials "PL", but I'll ask around to see if anyone knows what this means.

-Paul-

AZcachemeister correctly surmised:

Looks to me as if someone is cruising for a $250 fine. :)

LOL. As it turns out, the crime was not the stamping. It was moving the mark and not telling anybody.

Here's the explanation from Gary Thompson, Director of the North Carolina Geodetic Survey.

-Paul-

We changed the stamping on "Annex" We discovered that a contractor

removed the disk and set it in a new sidewalk. The mark has been moved

from its original location. When I visited the site after someone

reported that the coordinates were off, I knew what had happened. We

stamped a new name and determined the coordinates. We're submitting a

destroyed report to NGS for "Annex" and a new description for "Plannex".

---Gary

Hi, Bill,

It will be interesting to compare the coordinates, when they become available. Meanwhile, you were correct when you said, "I think projects aren't supposed to restamp disks unless there is a documented change, like a reset." That describes the situation, exactly.

-Paul-

Here's the explanation from Gary Thompson, Director of the North Carolina Geodetic Survey.

[text snipped]

We stamped a new name and determined the coordinates. We're submitting a

So why did they add the letters "PL," do you know, Paul?

Patty

Hi, Patty,

It beats me! I'm still trying to figure out why the station was named ANNEX. The only things at the intersection are a motor pool lot, a gas station, and a donut shop.

Perhaps PL equals "Property Line". In 2008, the right-of-way for the adjacent street was moved 3 feet, as shown in the plat, below.

-Paul-

945d9bf7-2652-4be9-96d6-f7bdf5b81e3c.jpg

Edited by PFF
I downloaded the new datasheet from the NGS site and it didn't have any information. I aslo search their site for pl annex and plannex.

Now fixed. Although the new station's coordinates have not been published, the data sheet for ANNEX was updated yesterday. If you look at EZ6592 (at the other end of the sidewalk), you will see the same notation.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

EZ6592 NGS data sheet

EZ6592

EZ6592'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 2008 (SML)

EZ6592'MARK DESTROYED BY SIDEWALK CONSTRUCTION. DISK RECOVERED BY NC GEODETIC

EZ6592'SURVEY PERSONNEL.

EZ6531 NGS data sheet

EZ6531 STATION RECOVERY (2008)

EZ6531

EZ6531'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 2008 (SML)

EZ6531'MARK DESTROYED BY SIDEWALK CONSTRUCTION. DISK RECOVERED BY NC GEODETIC

EZ6531'SURVEY PERSONNEL.

It still doesn't make total sense. It really appears like the same disk in the same setting both before and after the marking. I suppose they could have reset it, repositioned it and then waited 6-10 months before going out and restamping it.

A pretty odd one.

- jlw

I agree with Jerry Wahl - from the photos in the geocaching data base; the 2006 photos clearly show the same setting as the 2008 photos. This mark would have had to have been moved before 2006 and after 1983. The movement must have been discovered in 2008 and corrected by the NCGS personnel in 2008.

Kurt

Isn't that what Gary said from the NCGS?

We changed the stamping on "Annex" We discovered that a contractor

removed the disk and set it in a new sidewalk. The mark has been moved

from its original location. When I visited the site after someone

reported that the coordinates were off, I knew what had happened. We

stamped a new name and determined the coordinates. We're submitting a

---Gary

I read that as they FOUND it moved in 2008 - meaning someone moved it before then - and in 2008 they stamped it and filed the paperwork. Obviously since there are photos from 2006 here, I'd say it happened before then, too. :rolleyes:

The only reason I can think of for adding PL to the stamping is that someone must have reset the mark with the original disk (or post) and thought everything was AOK. When it was discovered the added PL to it so it would be confused with the older mark.

I discovered a BM once that had been reset by those who disturbed it. The contractors thought the would not be found out but I just happened to drive by the area (4-way stop intersection) one weekend and saw the post laying on its side. A few month later when I was working nearby I went over to get the disk and found the post set back into the ground. Had I not seen the marker laying on its side that one Sunday maybe no one would ever have known about it. Its was just luck that I took this way home one day.

Edited by Z15