Need help with going paperless with a palm vx

screamin'eagle

I just purchased a palm vx and I am wondering how I use it so I don't have to print sheets for each and every cache. I am new to this and already am bothered by the amount of paper that is floating around my SUV.

I purchased the palm vx so I am in need of how to use it to go "paperless", can someone help me with this? Is there a tutorial on this subject, a video?

Thank you.

I just purchased a palm vx and I am wondering how I use it so I don't have to print sheets for each and every cache. I am new to this and already am bothered by the amount of paper that is floating around my SUV.

I purchased the palm vx so I am in need of how to use it to go "paperless", can someone help me with this? Is there a tutorial on this subject, a video?

This will probably get moved to the GPS and Technology forum soon, but before that, my experience..

I use the Vx as well. You need either a computer with serial interface, or a USB to serial adapter your computer is happy with.

You need to have a premium member account in order to download pocket queries. You can either import them into GSAK, filter, then export as Cachemate PDB file, or use CMConvert to convert a pocket query to PDB.

There are various tutorials available online, even some video ones. Try the ones here : http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/tutorials.php

The transfer speed is slow - it takes multiple minutes to transfer, then back up, 1500 caches (about 5MB of memory). Finding nearest caches also take about a couple of minutes.

Thanks, I will upgrade this evening and check it out. Hopefully the video tutorials help. Because all this gpx, dnb, whatever jargin doesn't mean anything to me :) . I do have a usb adapter so I can link it right up to my laptop so I guess I will just trial and error this thing.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks, I will upgrade this evening and check it out. Hopefully the video tutorials help. Because all this gpx, dnb, whatever jargin doesn't mean anything to me :) . I do have a usb adapter so I can link it right up to my laptop so I guess I will just trial and error this thing.

Thank you for your help.

I have been using plucker on my palm. I have GSAK on my computer, just haven't gotten around to setting the palm up. I don't get any maps or pictures which I would like, but I get cache descriptions, hints if needed, and the last 5 logs.

Steve

I also use a Palm Vx. but I use a slightly different process:

1) I use GSAK for all caches found / not found / puzzle etc

2) I use GSAK's filter to create only the caches I want to upload(Saves time as serial can really be slow!!!)

3) I then generate an htl or html file (internet type file) from GSAK

4) Then use plucker to load that file and generate all in the correct format.

5) Then sync with palm Vx

6) NB: remember to delete the old files before syncing or generating new ones.

Then off you go paperless!

I am having difficulty finding the software for my palm vx since it didn't come with the unit. Will the download from palm itself work with windows vista? I did download it but don't know if it is working properly because each time I plug in the unit it says searching for software and it never finds it. I tried to just type in a contact on my laptop and send it to my palm but I am not sure how to do that.

Thanks

I am having difficulty finding the software for my palm vx since it didn't come with the unit. Will the download from palm itself work with windows vista? I did download it but don't know if it is working properly because each time I plug in the unit it says searching for software and it never finds it. I tried to just type in a contact on my laptop and send it to my palm but I am not sure how to do that.

Thanks

64bit Vista? Is the VX a serial unit? Do you have a serial port?

Jim

I have a usb adapter to plug in to my laptop, and not sure if 64 bit or not, how do I check this?

generally the first tab of the system widget in the control panel. Did you load the drivers for the usb adapter? Maybe that is the software it is looking for.

Jim

Edited by jholly
I loaded the driver for the palm vx itself, but I when I plugged it back in it said "searching for driver" and it couldn't locate, no matter what I did. I will have more time this weekend to mess with it. I will let ya know. Thank you for all of your help.

I'm trying to imagine what you're seeing here, if I get something wrong my apologies.

1. The Palm is a serial unit, which does not need special drivers. Serial port I/O is supported by the OS and the protocol is implemented in the application which you already installed.

2. USB to serial converters require that you install drivers for them. After the drivers are installed, it will appear to the application like a serial port has been added.

3. If you installed software for the Palm, it is the Palm desktop application. It includes, among other things, the Palm Desktop application, Hotsync tray app, and the installer app (for installing applications or data to the Palm).

4. When you say you plug it back in, I'm assuming you mean the USB adapter into the computer. At this point, if it has not been installed before, Windows will attempt to find a driver for it. If this fails, it is very likely because you have not installed the driver. Alternatively, it could be that your OS / hardware / USB adapter combo do not play well together.

Try plugging the adapter in without the Palm's dock (or cable) connected to it. You should still see the "searching for driver" message.

I have a Vista machine at home, I'll give it a try later. However, it is running 32 bit Vista, and it has a serial port so I don't need a USB adapter. At least it will verify if Palm Desktop will work under Vista.

Thanks a lot. Like I said earlier, I will have lots of time to mess with it this weekend. I can always get ahold of palm tech. support and have them walk me through this stuff. When all else fails call tech. support.

Having called tech support before on other issues (and helped some of them at work), I can pretty much tell you their answer is that the Palm Vx is long discontinued, and that Vista is not supported :rolleyes: Well, maybe you'll be lucky and get a helpful one. I recommend calling tech support for the USB adapter instead if they have one.

Vista may be the problem.

Apparently it doesn't play nice with older Palm units.

I have an old Palm M130 which a mate gave me. I use cachemate and GSAK. My notebook runs Vista Home Premium and the Palm won't synch (works with my old XP desktop).

I have succeeded in using the Palm with the Vista machine by running a "Virtual Machine" from VMWare into which I installed Windows XP. :)

One day I'll upgrade the lot to a GPS with paperless built in ... :laughing::o

Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with this. Looks like I have my work cut out for myself over the weekend. :D

Definitely check if the USB serial adapter is working first.

Have you installed the drivers for the USB serial adapter? Usually, you will need to install the drivers first, either from an Internet download or from a CD provided with the adapter. After that, plug it in and it should be able to find the driver. What is the model of adapter you bought? That information may be useful for troubleshooting.

If you know how, perform a loopback test. If not, if the driver installs correctly, just hope for the best. Open your Device Manager to see if there are any errors or unknown devices listed, especially under "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Also check under Ports (COM & LPT) to make sure you have a "Communications Port" and take note what is the number (COM1, COM4, etc.). Palm Desktop may need this information (not sure how smart it is in figuring out available ports).

I have not had a chance to try Palm Desktop under my Vista machine, sorry about that. Hopefully there will be time tonight...