I'm having a problem with vendors changing their names

mousekakat

Ok, gonna stick my neck out here a bit, what the heck...

I'm having trouble with how folks are changing their names, especially venders...

Geocoindesign, AEToys, and the list goes on.

If people have had trouble in the past and want to make good and bring their 'company' back into being trusted vendors, that's fine by me and I really hope they succeed, BUT...

Changing their names and going on with business just rubs me wrong. The problem isn't so much me, since I recognize who they are, but rather the fact that newer folks here don't know of them or their past business doings, and it seems really unfair to the new folks, especially if the vendor should happen to lapse into their old habits, or worse, never change into new, better, trustworthy habits.

I'm not trying to make anyone angry here or point the finger. The names that I mentioned are just names that have changed in the close past that stick out in my mind.

Is there something that can be done about this, or is it just buyer beware or? Personally, I'd like to see their old vendor name as part of their signature, if nothing else than just to point out that they aren't trying to hide who they were and problems they might have had in the past. Not trying to pin a bad rep on anyone or keep anyone from moving on to bigger and better things, but rather, just trying to keep it all on the up and up.

Or am I just stirring the pot?

Naomi

<moderator edit to remove a name that did not change their store name>

Edited by Eartha
Ok, gonna stick my neck out here a bit, what the heck...

I'm having trouble with how folks are changing their names, especially venders...

snip..........

Naomi

Which of the vendors actually have been changing their company names (and not just their personal caching names)?

Edit:

Let me re-phrase that: What are their "new" names?

Edited by OshnDoc

Naomi I totaly agree with you!!there are some vendors that id like to stay away from because of the way they have conducted themselfs on the forums and things they have said or the way they delt with a issue, but if they change the name of their company,,not only does it make it impossible to know who,s who,s unless you know them personaly or put two and two togeather and usually by then its too late. But it a sneek attack on you to do biz with them. So I couldent agree more,,. There sould be a rule one company per entinty. For the buyers protection!! If a company dies to to non sales because of past dealings ,,its their own fault and should be held to the results of how they treat customers and do bad biz practice.

I think it's like any other business, it's buyer beware. Buy from the trusted coin companies and there is nothing to worry about. There are several that have been in business from the get go of coins and are completely trustworthy. As for the constant flux of new and re-invented ones, well, that's a risk only the buyer can decide if they want to take.

I absolutely agree, I mean if you can have a one thread per coin rule, there should be a one name per company rule too. If folks have messed up in the past, tough, live with it. But don't go and hide behind a new name. There should be something in the pinned topics at the top to show what names have been used and by whom, that way new folks searching the forums can get to see the whole picture.

i like the idea of knowing new and old names since it does helps us newbies.

it is something people like to know. airlines have done it too. in the 90's valuejet crashed near miami. afterwards they became airtran. airtran is great and has turned around the company.

so for coins it would be nice to have all of the info before we purchase too and many times it is worth the chance to try the company again.

just my opinion.

As a vendor that has gone thru some of the same issues as some of the venders currently. We stuck it out and made good with everything promised. We have kept our name and are working hard to make more coins that people want. Those vendors that are changing their names to hide from past mistakes are wrong to do so. If they have had past problems they should work it out and move forward not just hide under a new name that makes people think they are trustworthy. Who is to say if they will not do the same mistakes that they previously did.

No one here changed their names. Jim (GeocoinGuy) is GeocoinDesign still. Your assumption of a business name change was incorrect - he picked up a new caching name however.

I am still CinemaBoxers (Paula) - If I decide to mint and SELL coins myself, it will be done under a different name than GeocoinDesign, because I would simply be DESIGNING for GeocoinDesign, and he would be selling his OWN coins. I would be minting and SELLING my own - therefore another name would be needed.

If you didn't know, Jim and I separated in 2008. No one changed any names to try and cover anything up, by any means. We simply needed to go separate ways, and we still enjoy caching. (Hence, two names needed!)

We both made efforts to make sure all orders were filled - which they were indeed. =) We worked together to right any wrongs - all while going through a tough time in our relationship - and are trying to remain friends. Adding a business side to the ending of a relationship can be tough, yet we both managed to get things done, and remain friendly enough to get this fixed.

And, I can assure you, if and when either of us sells any coins in the future, there will be NO pre-orders - all coins WILL be in hand when sold.

I wish people knew how difficult it is to deal with things all while trying to remain amicable, and yet give each other space. I wouldn't want pity, just some understanding that while we were dealing with this, we also had a whole lot of other things on our plates. All is done, settled, and when business occurs in the future, you should only expect good things from either of us. =) And yep, I'm willing to prove that on my end at least, Im sure Jim would say the same.

~P (Still CinemaBoxers)

I'm not sure myself, but even though Coinswag have not changed their name, they now choose to be associated in these forums with an account of that name, when in fact all of their past dealings on this board have been under another account name, amounts to the same thing to me. :)

I have to disagree to a point. They want to keep their caching identity separate from they business and even I have recently done the same. Now, I have only produced one coin, so that is a bit different. I waited to create a new account because I wanted to be sure I was able to get the domain name I wanted beforehand. I can only assume that they created one due to the vendor issues of the last year. Since they didn't change the business name it should be fine; but they should have stated that in the first post they made with that account, the purpose of the account. Instead, someone else pointed the fact out first.

Why do we want to keep separate accounts? I get many geocaching emails to my personal account that are watch list items, virtual cache related, or just caching friend related. Having the second account allows to have all the business stuff filtered out for easier/faster replies; not to mention accidental deletion, which has happened on some cache related emails.

I do think that the business account one uses for the forums should be the same name as that of the business, and that account be the only official voice for the business.

That being said, this is the new account I have created for all future coin releases by me. Though I will only address business matters with this account. Concerns about shipping, time frames, pricing and the rest would be the business account.

If I release a coin that is a personal coin I designed I may reply with my normal account. A situation being, someone ask about why I choose a specific color or element in that design, I would choose to reply with my personal account. Why the difference? I'm sure you wouldn't want the business minting your coin to answer why you choose a color or design.

I hope this helps clear some of the issues people may have with others and their separate accounts.

maldar

I totally understand having 2 separate GC profiles (personal vs. business)...it would be no fun sorting thru cache logs to find business emails. Having 2 accounts should work fine if the person behind the accounts remembers to post coin only related announcements with the business account. To make things easier on the consumer, would it be wise to keep a list of personal caching names vs. company names available?

My apologies if I mentioned anyone wrongly, however, as was pointed out, Jsam was using that login for pretty much everything and then decided to do differently, thus the confusion, although I find myself in agreement with how Tooey sees it.

Basically, though, divorce, name change, what have you... even if there is a legitimate reason for the name change, as long as things are on the up and up, why not just put a "formerly of xxxxxxxxxx" or something like that in the signature line to let folks know, both old and new, especially if you have nothing to hide?

Just a thought.

Basically, though, divorce, name change, what have you... even if there is a legitimate reason for the name change, as long as things are on the up and up, why not just put a "formerly of xxxxxxxxxx" or something like that in the signature line to let folks know, both old and new, especially if you have nothing to hide?

Just a thought.

That's a good idea and no reason why one couldn't do that.

I'm not sure myself, but even though Coinswag have not changed their name, they now choose to be associated in these forums with an account of that name, when in fact all of their past dealings on this board have been under another account name, amounts to the same thing to me. :)

I have to disagree to a point. They want to keep their caching identity separate from they business and even I have recently done the same. Now, I have only produced one coin, so that is a bit different. I waited to create a new account because I wanted to be sure I was able to get the domain name I wanted beforehand. I can only assume that they created one due to the vendor issues of the last year. Since they didn't change the business name it should be fine; but they should have stated that in the first post they made with that account, the purpose of the account. Instead, someone else pointed the fact out first.

Why do we want to keep separate accounts? I get many geocaching emails to my personal account that are watch list items, virtual cache related, or just caching friend related. Having the second account allows to have all the business stuff filtered out for easier/faster replies; not to mention accidental deletion, which has happened on some cache related emails.

I do think that the business account one uses for the forums should be the same name as that of the business, and that account be the only official voice for the business.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone using a 'business' account name and can fully understand your reasoning - but if a business chooses to post about its business using one account name and has done so since it started out - and now chooses to create a new and separate name for that business - whatever their justification might be, smacks of trying to hide the dirt under the carpet and start out fresh.

Well, I've apparently struck a nerve as I've gotten two "nastygrams," including one with profanity in it.

Look, if you're innocent, then you're innocent. If you've got something to hide then that is something between you and your conscience.

Like I stated earlier, if you've nothing to hide, then a simple tagline stating who you were or were a part of shouldn't be a problem. If you feel that it is a problem, then maybe there's something there to think about?

I'm all for people getting their lives in order and back on track, but I think honesty is important.

In any case, though, please don't be sending me pm's with foul language or thinly veiled foul language in it.

In any case, though, please don't be sending me pm's with foul language or thinly veiled foul language in it.

You should report this IMHO. I don't believe that type of behavior is condoned by the people who run this site.

These people are lucky - frankly - that you didn't out them openly on this thread for such behavior because really that says more about THEM than anything. :rolleyes: It would serve them right if you posted their PM here for all to see. Maybe they'd think twice about doing it again to someone else.

Well, I've apparently struck a nerve as I've gotten two "nastygrams," including one with profanity in it.

Look, if you're innocent, then you're innocent. If you've got something to hide then that is something between you and your conscience.

Like I stated earlier, if you've nothing to hide, then a simple tagline stating who you were or were a part of shouldn't be a problem. If you feel that it is a problem, then maybe there's something there to think about?

I'm all for people getting their lives in order and back on track, but I think honesty is important.

:rolleyes: That's not cool.

Thanks for opening the thread, Naomi. Sometimes a lot of people might be thinking something, but nobody has the courage to pipe up. I appreciate that you did, and I'm sure anybody who is new and doesn't know the history appreciates it even more. Who is AEToys these days?

You should report this IMHO. I don't believe that type of behavior is condoned by the people who run this site.

These people are lucky - frankly - that you didn't out them openly on this thread for such behavior because really that says more about THEM than anything. :rolleyes: It would serve them right if you posted their PM here for all to see. Maybe they'd think twice about doing it again to someone else.

I agree, you should report this. If they have something to say like that, then they should say it here.

Can you please tell us the basics of the PMs, clean them up, leave names out. I'm not sure how GC.c feels about the posting of PMs to the forums; but having something is better than nothing.

Naomi, just remember you are a sweetheart and deserve better than those creeps.

maldar

Well, personally... I can say that sometimes a 'formerly of XXX' can be painful for the person posting it possibly. I know I wouldn't want to be typing it every time I posted if it was me... or having it in my signature.

People start new caching names for many reasons, and there isn't always a need to explain oneself to the masses. I think if its clear- and the business name hasn't changed, theres no reason for a personal explanation every time someone posts. (Which is the case with GeocoinDesign - its GeocoinGuy - business name never changed.)

Thats MY opinion, for what its worth.

Now, as another tiny opinion - perhaps 'kindness and senseless acts of beauty and take care of your fellow man' means to have a little understanding of sensitive situations, and a little faith in those involved.

It can be harrowing to feel as though no one gives a crap when times are hard. Been there, done that. But, I think I've come away from the forums a better person - I don't post here often due to the often unkind behavior, and outright nastiness I've seen at times. I prefer a kinder gentler crowd, and I think forums bring out the worst in many people - both in public, and in PMs unfortunately. If we were all in a room somewhere, we'd likely get along, but its easy to hide behind a monitor, and run ones mouth.

I decided some time ago to just be nice to people who are nice to me. The others, I try and ignore as they never go away. :rolleyes: I wish everyone could just be nice, and understand we all have hard times, we all have our conflicts, and we all sometimes just need a little support, rather than having people continually attempt to knock us down.

Oh well... off my soapbox, and back to being away from the forums for a spell.

I wish you all well. =)

~P

Well CB, I think that if one is up front about a change in user name they save a lot of grief in the end. Doing so will prevent having to explain it later and prevent people from thinking one has something to hide when they find out about the change. The more one refuses to acknowledge or explain a change in user name, the more people will grow to distrust that person.

A similar thread was opened awhile ago reguarding bad business venders. Evidently , nothing has been done about it, I have been lucky enough to order coins from venders that do right by their customers including the coins we've had made. My brother handled the ordering/purchasing of our coin, but not before he asked lots of folks alot of questions about having coins made. Maybe an ADVISORY line in the title of threads ONLY for those that have done wrong... NOT for Reliable vendors and not for venders that may have TRIPPED but got themselves up and dusted off.

I would recommend reading coin threads and looking at the responses from people posting... for example ......

TSun's coin threads are FULL of words like, BEAUTIFUL, QUICK, THANK YOU, never have I read " Where's my coins?" on her threads. ( Or Ours either!)

Maybe if WE as a community see and welcome new cachers to the site, we can also remind them to RESEARCH and ASK QUESTIONS before ordering ANY coins.

Opalsns

A similar thread was opened awhile ago reguarding bad business venders. Evidently , nothing has been done about it, I have been lucky enough to order coins from venders that do right by their customers including the coins we've had made. My brother handled the ordering/purchasing of our coin, but not before he asked lots of folks alot of questions about having coins made. Maybe an ADVISORY line in the title of threads ONLY for those that have done wrong... NOT for Reliable vendors and not for venders that may have TRIPPED but got themselves up and dusted off.

I would recommend reading coin threads and looking at the responses from people posting... for example ......

TSun's coin threads are FULL of words like, BEAUTIFUL, QUICK, THANK YOU, never have I read " Where's my coins?" on her threads. ( Or Ours either!)

Maybe if WE as a community see and welcome new cachers to the site, we can also remind them to RESEARCH and ASK QUESTIONS before ordering ANY coins.

Opalsns

So true - but when someone new to the forums spots a coin they really really like, do you suppose they are going to sit here and trawl through posts to determine if the vendor is worthy of their business, I doubt it, they are likely to rush off to make a purchase before they are all sold, but if you have done that - do come back and take the time for a good look around, people's true character will eventually show through.