Release Notes 3/10/09

OpinioNate

BTW - Is anyone fixing the menu selection "My Profile" in the lefthand column? It actually takes you to the "Quick View" page.

This occurred during last month's update.

To get to My Profile now, you have to go to the little tiny link in your Stat Bar in the upper right corner titled "My Public Profile".

Please DON'T fix the LINK. The quick view is the most used target. If anything, change the name back to "My account"

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: March 10th, 2009 Release

19. Increased Bookmark list limit from 20 to 40

How about increasing the numbers of PQs as well, and also allow 10 PQs ran each day?

Or increasing the maximum number of caches in a PQ.

May I have a pony?

How about increasing the numbers of PQs as well, and also allow 10 PQs ran each day?

I'd be so happy if my pq's would run at all.

no auto pq's since santa's visit :o

and no replies to plea's for help either :laughing:

Edited by The Windsockers

May I have a pony?

Only if you promise to ride away on it.

BTW - Is anyone fixing the menu selection "My Profile" in the lefthand column? It actually takes you to the "Quick View" page.

This occurred during last month's update.

To get to My Profile now, you have to go to the little tiny link in your Stat Bar in the upper right corner titled "My Public Profile".

Please DON'T fix the LINK. The quick view is the most used target. If anything, change the name back to "My account"

I set up my IE7 icon to go directly to the Quick View page rather than the home page. Thus the "My Profile" link is worthless (to me). So, how about adding a link on the left - one to the Quick View page and another to the Profile Page. Right now, the titling is just wrong.

Ok I beleive a new problem has come up with the maps.

In my profile When I click on Map it in search options it brings up map with all the caches nearby, when you click one of these a bubble pops up with the cache info.

Ok problem is if you use the zoom to address feature it takes you to your given address and shows all caches within that area ok but when you click on any cache it comes up with small black bubble 'requesting cache description' and that is it NO cache bubble appears.

Ok I beleive a new problem has come up with the maps.

In my profile When I click on Map it in search options it brings up map with all the caches nearby, when you click one of these a bubble pops up with the cache info.

Ok problem is if you use the zoom to address feature it takes you to your given address and shows all caches within that area ok but when you click on any cache it comes up with small black bubble 'requesting cache description' and that is it NO cache bubble appears.

You might try it again. I noticed a similar problem at about the same time. When I went back and tried bringing up the map again, I got a page not found error. A few minutes later I tried it and it worked fine. I suspected that Groundspeak was working on the code for those pages.

Problems since updating began:

Site is extremely slow and I have cable (I can't imagine how long dial up is taking).

Maps only partially load caches present, forcing me to refresh map. And again, this is very slow...sometimes a minute or more to load!

I'm getting the ghost "Sponsored Links" window also.

Request:

When you load a page you've already found, I'd love a large red check mark or some other simple identifier to tell me that I've already found that cache!

Thanks to Groundspeak for all the hard work and to the testers! :laughing:

Request:

When you load a page you've already found, I'd love a large red check mark or some other simple identifier to tell me that I've already found that cache!

Switch to Firefox and install the Greasemonkey

List of currently held trackables on the "log a cache" page now in alphabetical order by trackable title

Not any better, but at least not worse, than the previous way. Now if you could only give me an option to sort by TRACKING number I would see it as a feature. Do people really go by the title of the trackable? How quaint.

Jim

Request:

I use Firefox. What's the Greasemonkey? How/where do I get it?

Thanks!

Request:

Thanks!

Greasemonkey is an Add-on/Extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

Request:

Thanks!

Greasemonkey is an Add-on/Extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

Yay...I installed Greasemonkey and loaded 4 scripts already...very cool! :o

Thank you so much!!!

Edited by The Fat Cats

May I have a pony?

Don't ask me, ask your mother :D

Can't see how your pony is related to my posting.

TPTB have on several occasions indicated that they are not going to increase the number of caches you can download using pocket queries. They have repeatedly indicated that purpose of PQ is not to maintain large offline databases and that they feel 2500 caches per day in more than enough for planning a geocaching outing. sbell111 comment is that you might as well ask for a pony as to ask for running more PQs or getting more caches per day. There is certainly the possibility that TPTB may allow more saved PQs so you don't have to start archiving ones when you get to 40. They did increase this number from 20 to 40 in past. And I believe they may at some time change the limits on caches returned per PQ to make it easier to get the caches in a cache dense area without having to do as many "by date placed" PQs. E.g. instead of 5 PQ each with up to 500 cache separated by date placed, allow one PQ with up to 2500 caches.

When I try to print the cache page to take with me, it doesn't print tht coordinates. Would this be considered a bug or is it just my computer/printer? :D

It is a bug, but you can usually get around it viewing the "Print Preview" and adjusting the scaling size by a small amount. This method can also be used to shrink the page down to fit on one page.

When I try to print the cache page to take with me, it doesn't print tht coordinates. Would this be considered a bug or is it just my computer/printer? :D

It is a bug, but you can usually get around it viewing the "Print Preview" and adjusting the scaling size by a small amount. This method can also be used to shrink the page down to fit on one page.

Tried your suggestion ~ still doesn't work! :mad: Groundspeak, could you try to fix this bug too?

Edited by PorscheSpyder

When I go to the My GPS Devices page to add a new GPS and the list of manufacturers pops up in the middle of the screen, the drop down list repeats them all seven times:

e4845bce-3c35-489e-bdd1-f7d08867dfe9.jpg

You can see by the size of the scroll bar grabber that it's a big list.

Are you using Opera? What browser and version?

-Raine

When I try to print the cache page to take with me, it doesn't print tht coordinates. Would this be considered a bug or is it just my computer/printer? :huh:

Tried your suggestion ~ still doesn't work! :huh: Groundspeak, could you try to fix this bug too?

It's not a bug...it's a feature, kinda like a puzzle cache. It's up to you to figure it out. :mad:

Yes, I'm being nasty...it's Friday.

:D

Tried your suggestion ~ still doesn't work! :mad: Groundspeak, could you try to fix this bug too?

If you want Groundspeak to try and swat the bug, you need to give them something to work with. With this issue I expect that the operating system and the browser are important and possibly the Cache Code.

Team Taran

TPTB have on several occasions indicated that they are not going to increase the number of caches you can download using pocket queries. They have repeatedly indicated that purpose of PQ is not to maintain large offline databases and that they feel 2500 caches per day in more than enough for planning a geocaching outing. sbell111 comment is that you might as well ask for a pony as to ask for running more PQs or getting more caches per day. There is certainly the possibility that TPTB may allow more saved PQs so you don't have to start archiving ones when you get to 40. They did increase this number from 20 to 40 in past. And I believe they may at some time change the limits on caches returned per PQ to make it easier to get the caches in a cache dense area without having to do as many "by date placed" PQs. E.g. instead of 5 PQ each with up to 500 cache separated by date placed, allow one PQ with up to 2500 caches.

And this should make me stop asking for a solution I would like to happend?

In my mind it is like this: If enough users ask for the same, TPTB might change their opinion of what to do.

If you don't ask, you don't get!

Therefore: I ignore earlier "won't"'s and ask!

In my mind it is like this: If enough users ask for the same, TPTB might change their opinion of what to do.

Exactly!

May I have a pony?

Edited by sbell111

Exactly!

May I have a pony?

Yes you might, just ask your mother. If your mother doesn't read this forum, give her a call and stop naging us about your ponyvwish :)

When I go to the My GPS Devices page to add a new GPS and the list of manufacturers pops up in the middle of the screen, the drop down list repeats them all seven times:

e4845bce-3c35-489e-bdd1-f7d08867dfe9.jpg

You can see by the size of the scroll bar grabber that it's a big list.

Are you using Opera? What browser and version?

-Raine

Firefox 3.0.7 on WinXP SP3.

Edit: The first time I click to add a device, the full list only appears once. If I click the dropdown to view a different device I've previously saved, then try to add a new device, I see the manufacturer list twice. If I switch back to view the first GPS I had save, then try to add a new device, I see the manufacturer list three times.

It's as if when the page loads and the secret manufacturer list is pre-populated, it doesn't clear out what was there originally beforehand, but instead just appends the manufacturer names and assumes that the list was supposed to be empty.

It's probably a rare bug to come across, but it's there (for me, anyway) nonetheless.

Edited by The Cheeseheads

Thank you for upping the limit on the bookmarks!!!

Please, please, please change the way log's now appear. I'm really finding it annoying and a bit frustrating by the way they order now. Please change the back so it list's the log's in order of which they where ordered, newest to oldest. (This is where I need a begging smilie)

[*]Added "remove from watchlist" link to watched trackable pages

Nice surprice, this is an appreciated logical add to the trackable pages...

...BUT

it doesn't work!

When I click on the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?ds=1&id=424637&action=rem

the response is:

The item has already been removed or was not on your watch list.

scrolling down on the WatchList page I find an almost identical link, that DOES WORK!

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?ds=2&id=424637&action=rem

(resulting in:

Are you sure you want to remove "Kusa's Utah Micro" from your watch list?)

Difference between the links ds=1 versus ds=2.

[*]Added "remove from watchlist" link to watched trackable pages

Nice surprice, this is an appreciated logical add to the trackable pages...

...BUT

it doesn't work!

When I click on the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?ds=1&id=424637&action=rem

the response is:

The item has already been removed or was not on your watch list.

scrolling down on the WatchList page I find an almost identical link, that DOES WORK!

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?ds=2&id=424637&action=rem

(resulting in:

Are you sure you want to remove "Kusa's Utah Micro" from your watch list?)

Difference between the links ds=1 versus ds=2.

Exactly what I said 10 days ago in Post #50, nobody seems to care...

:blink: