Release Notes 3/10/09

OpinioNate

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: March 10th, 2009 Release

Some of the big changes this month include further additions to the My GPS feature, including the ability to select and save multiple devices in your profile. We also made layout changes to the Field Notes and Geocoin Home pages.

Bugs-wise, the most popular fix will probably be the increase to Bookmark Lists of 20 to 40 lists, with IE 6 and 7 cache page printing issues following closely behind. Thanks for your patience while we fixed these and for any future bugs!

First off, the following list of hotfix items were implemented at one time or another throughout the past month:

1. Fixed GPS rating issue where a device with zero reviews would receive a star rating
  2. Changed text and layout of iPhone page including promo video
  3. Added My GPS info to /my/ page
  4. Added maintenance page to all sites for site updates
  5. Added "change" link next to GPS on /my/ page
  6. Forced comment for GPS ratings - error received if comment left empty
  7. Fixed issue with previewing forum signature lines in profile edit
  8. Corrected cursor behavior in GPS rating comment box where cursor would jump to the end of comments

Now for the full list of features and bug fixes released today:

1. Added new quick search options to /my/ page
  2. Added message after pocket query submission announcing the number of caches which will be returned (at the top of the page)
  3. Print Friendly page now includes attribute text in addition to attribute icon for non-English speakers
  4. Added "GPS Devices" link to footer
  5. Added user lookup tool to /my/ for upgrading a member's account to Premium
  6. Updated sendtophone.aspx to include iPhone information
  7. Added Greek translation of cache note
  8. Changed default profile image from semi-frowny-indifferent-face to neutral face
  9. Added forgot password link to home page
  10. Removed references to DeLorme from /CITO
  11. Updated page layout on fieldnotes.aspx
  12. Moved gps reviewer name and date of review to above the review comment on device.aspx
  13. Added geocoin lookup to Geocoin Home
  14. Removed text "from a separate page" from link to view log in detail
  15. Fixed URL in validation email to prevent errors when username contains spaces
  16. Fixed printing errors in IE 6 and 7
  17. Updated language from travel bug to trackable item on profile pages
  18. Final Waypoint now hidden by default when creating new cache
  19. Increased Bookmark list limit from 20 to 40
  20. Improved layout of geocoin.aspx to account for growing number of manufacturer links
  21. Added Country and State/Province to home page event calendar
  22. Added text to validation email to emphasize the validation code is not a password
  23. List of currently held trackables on the "log a cache" page now in alphabetical order by trackable title
  24. Added page titles to printable TB sheet
  25. Updated cache submission confirmation email to include waypoint ID in subject and body
  26. Added server name and build number to page source
  27. Added "remove from watchlist" link to watched trackable pages

Thanks for all your support and, as usual, please post bugs related to this release in this thread. Thanks!

Edit: Shame on me for not mentioning the awesome volunteers who helped test again this release! We <3 you. :)

Edited by OpinioNate

Minor logic - not bug. In #6 of the Hotfixes "The GPS reviews allow a comment but no rating to be selected." I note that there are a number of "Comments" with "No Rating" (the reverse of the fix issue). Suspect the "No Rating" is counted as a "0" in the average rating for a unit - driving the value downward. If comments are required for a rating to be entered, then a rating should be required to submit a comment.

Really like #2 (Added message after pocket query submission announcing the number of caches which will be returned (at the top of the page). Found that right away when updating PQs based on "Date Placed". Saves a bunch of time cycling through the review pages just to see if I'd reached the magic 500 yet.

Checking the rest of the changes..... Really good so far.

Suggestion: Number the changes rather than "bullets". Easier to reference in these posts......

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

... Suspect the "No Rating" is counted as a "0" in the average rating for a unit - driving the value downward...

This is cached data based on the old way of calculating averages. It'll be fixed when someone posts a review (or Raine runs a script).

Suggestion: Number the changes rather than "bullets". Easier to reference in these posts......

Will do.

This is a great step forward but there are still problems. If I hide the Hints section the coordinate info does not display. Also, the Decrypt key does not display when the encrypted hint is not hidden. This is in the Simple (no logs) option.

Did this update add a "sponsored links" shadow box to the maps screen? It shows up when you are on the maps and then click a cache to get it's quick info. It shows up in the right hand bottom corner and has nothing inside of it but you cannot close it once it is open. You also cannot click on any of the caches it covers up to view their info.

The only way to remove the box is to go to a different screen and then return to the maps page. Yet, if you click on another cache it shows up all over again.

edited to add: Firefox, latest version and I am logged into GC.com.

Edited by ao318

This is a great step forward but there are still problems. If I hide the Hints section the coordinate info does not display. Also, the Decrypt key does not display when the encrypted hint is not hidden. This is in the Simple (no logs) option.

I'm trying to test this but it works perfectly for me in IE 6 and 7. Is there any more information you can give me?

Did this update add a "sponsored links" shadow box to the maps screen? It shows up when you are on the maps and then click a cache to get it's quick info. It shows up in the right hand bottom corner and has nothing inside of it but you cannot close it once it is open. You also cannot click on any of the caches it covers up to view their info.

The only way to remove the box is to go to a different screen and then return to the maps page. Yet, if you click on another cache it shows up all over again.

IE7 Shows that, as well:

397ac9f4-a511-452f-8dde-8ef03847de3d.jpg

[*]Added "GPS Devices" link to footer

I don't know who had the clever idea, but please fix the issue that http://www.geocaching.com/(anything)gps leads to this "GPS devices" page.

It really breaks stuff for people using "gps" at the end of their nicknames, e.g.

founds for username grizz-gps or founds for username aj-gps.

Everything ending in "gps" seems to get mapped to the gps-reviews page at the moment, adding another parameter or just an ampersand helps.

Edited by aj-gps

- Performance of the new release is extremely slow. Site is unusable.

- Also, the field notes page is still awful.

I had hoped that this was fixed since the release notes mentioned it, but the field notes page is still a mess.

Every time i have to upload field notes i have to hunt through four paragraphs to find the tiny "Here" link to Oregon.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx

First off, you KNOW i have an Oregon, just take me there.

Second off, why the tiny, buried, link? That's a critical link. Better implementation would be four large clickable images or links which are 'set apart' from the instructional text. It's also considered bad web design to have links which say "Click Here". Good web design is linking "Upload Field Notes for Oregon" (whole sentence is a link) rather than linking the words "click here".

For example:

Good Web UI Design:

Upload Field Notes for Oregon

Bad Web UI Design: (what the page currently has)

Click here to Upload Field Notes for Oregon

[*]Added "GPS Devices" link to footer

I don't know who had the clever idea, but please fix the issue that http://www.geocaching.com/(anything)gps leads to this "GPS devices" page.

It really breaks stuff for people using "gps" at the end of their nicknames, e.g.

founds for username grizz-gps or founds for username aj-gps.

Everything ending in "gps" seems to get mapped to the gps-reviews page at the moment, adding another parameter or just an ampersand helps.

Wow! I see what you mean. Not funny for you, I'm sure, but still... it is funny!

Can't reproduce either of those. Hiding hints has no effect on the cache coordinates, and the decrypt key now displays regardless of whether or not the hint is decrypted. Maybe you're looking at an old, cached copy of the page. Try forcing a full refresh.

[*]Added message after pocket query submission announcing the number of caches which will be returned (at the top of the page)

For all of us who setup our pocket queries by placed dates this is a big help. Thank you :)

Yes, this is a nice addition for when I have to go through the PQs and adjust dates. Thanks!

Ok... Now lets try them new features... When are we going to be able to see on a map the Archived Caches again??? Someone mentioned OVER A YEAR AGO that it was coming out with v2...

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Ok... Now lets try them new features... When are we going to be able to see on a map the Archived Caches again??? Someone mentioned OVER A YEAR AGO that it was coming out with v2...

The Steaks

Since the general population hasn't seen "V.2" yet, how do you know it's not in there?

[*]Added message after pocket query submission announcing the number of caches which will be returned (at the top of the page)

For all of us who setup our pocket queries by placed dates this is a big help. Thank you :)

Yes, this is a nice addition for when I have to go through the PQs and adjust dates. Thanks!

Also, IF a PQ results Max out(500 caches), how bout putting a radius in it. I.E. If it says 500 Finds and the 500th cache is 17.3 miles away, State it.

The Steaks

3-Print Friendly page now includes attribute text in addition to attribute icon for non-English speakers

This page now also shows a great map and gives two sizes to choose from. That is a great looking print friendly page.

Unless you try and print a standard cache page and all you get is a square box where the map is ment to be.

I suspect you are hot fixing the gps reviews page since it is broken at the moment. Once it is fixed, if you haven't done so you may want to check the wording in the "reviews pagination" of a given device... it lists the reviews as "Devices 1-5", "Devices 2-10" etc. I suspect that should say "Reviews 1-5" etc.

Woohoo! Way to go Groundspeak! It was a pleasure to be a beta tester this time around and see a bunch of my own pet peeves fixed. Keep up the great work! :)

I'm really puzzled. Were there really that many pet peeves fixed? What were they? I only saw 3 items on the list that I cared about at all. Maybe I am not a power user any more. :)

I'm trying to test this but it works perfectly for me in IE 6 and 7. Is there any more information you can give me?

I just went to GC1M0VB which, as far as I know, is a cache page I have never viewed before. When I click on Simple (no logs), hide the hint and then preview, I see everything fine when the size is 60%, 90%, 100% and 200%. The header info is gone with any custom size, 70%, 80%, 95%, 125%, and 150%.

Went I preview without hiding the hint the header info is gone for 125% and 150% but seems to work for everything else, including custom sizes.

The decryption key appears on all settings for this cache.

On GC1D2HQ I get different results for different page sizes with the hint hidden.

Woohoo! Way to go Groundspeak! It was a pleasure to be a beta tester this time around and see a bunch of my own pet peeves fixed. Keep up the great work! :)
I'm really puzzled. Were there really that many pet peeves fixed? What were they? I only saw 3 items on the list that I cared about at all. Maybe I am not a power user any more. :)

Gee fizzy, I didn't know you cared :) but since you asked, the fixes that I appreciated are:

• Added message after pocket query submission announcing the number of caches which will be returned (at the top of the page) (The old way of optimizing PQ sets was a pain.)
  • Updated page layout on fieldnotes.aspx (Not really a peeve but I do like the new, cleaner arrangement better.)
  • Removed text "from a separate page" from link to view log in detail (It didn't open a separate page, it replaced the current page. OK I'm anal, but the incorrect terminology bugged me.)
  • Fixed printing errors in IE 6 and 7 (Didn't affect me cause I rarely print but I was tired of seeing threads complaining about it.)
  • Final Waypoint now hidden by default when creating new cache (As a reviewer I got tired of fixing these, or of COs complaining because the final solution was published along with their puzzle cache.)
  • Increased Bookmark list limit from 20 to 40 (I've been maxxed out for a while.)
  • List of currently held trackables on the "log a cache" page now in alphabetical order by trackable title (When I travel, I often collect a couple dozen bugs to take with me and distribute. With such a long list, it was sometimes difficult to find the bug I wanted to drop.)

That's 5 peeves fixed, one improvement, and one forum subject that will go away soon. Of course, YMMV.

...the fixes that I appreciated are:

• Added message after pocket query submission announcing the number of caches which will be returned (at the top of the page) (The old way of optimizing PQ sets was a pain.)

Just a note to point out that this is only for PQs generated from the My Pocket Queries page. PQs generated via the Caches Along A Route interface do not get this notice. It sure would be nice to have it there too, hint hint wink wink... :):)

Great fixes to say the least. The one I like the most, which was not mentioned in the list was the fix to the "onclick" feature of the <div> tag. Am SOOOO glad to see that back and my pages are working again. Now I will have to hurry and finish my offline updates to the page and upload them quick to update my info.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the bug squashers fixers. :)

Also really like the ordered list of trackables on the "log your cache" page, makes for MUCH easier find of them.

Keep up the good work.

Would like to see one new addition. How about a "remove from bookmark listing" link on a cache page?

Edited by Harwell5

Would like to see one new addition. How about a "remove from bookmark listing" link on a cache page?

Yep - that one would be a huge help. Would love to see the Add to bookmark check-off boxes added back to the map page. Still seeing the "Sponsored Links" ghost box on the map page.

I assume this would be for bookmark lists you create and own, so you can remove caches quickly and easily?

Absolutely! For personal BM lists. Such as caches on a DNF list after they have been found Avenged. :)

BTW - Is anyone fixing the menu selection "My Profile" in the lefthand column? It actually takes you to the "Quick View" page.

This occurred during last month's update.

To get to My Profile now, you have to go to the little tiny link in your Stat Bar in the upper right corner titled "My Public Profile".

BTW - Is anyone fixing the menu selection "My Profile" in the lefthand column? It actually takes you to the "Quick View" page.

This occurred during last month's update.

To get to My Profile now, you have to go to the little tiny link in your Stat Bar in the upper right corner titled "My Public Profile".

You know what, i'd never noticed that there, i've always gone via my Stat bar :rolleyes:

Now I know what it should do, could someone fix it? :blink:

IE7 Shows that, as well:

This is annoying!!!!! I could understand if I can opt not to see it. Should be a link that a premium member doesn't have to see. We already have to look at the advertisements on the left side. I believe that is enough.

IE7 Shows that, as well:

This is annoying!!!!! I could understand if I can opt not to see it. Should be a link that a premium member doesn't have to see. We already have to look at the advertisements on the left side. I believe that is enough.

As was mentioned earlier, this was a change made by Google, not Groundspeak, but I really hope that they can figure this out. The Google Maps are the primary way that I select the caches that I plan on hunting. I do not "Power cache", I hunt by proximity to where I plan on being, thus, I've been accustomed to selecting a cache from the map, reading it's description and then adding it to a bookmark list, which can later generate a PQ. My eyes can easily look through the "ghost image" but I cannot select caches that are underneath it. This is a MAJOR, (emphasis intended), inconvience. I'm forced to drag the cache that I want to select off of the the ghost image, which than forces a reload of the entire map and all of it's icons. Not good for me or the GS servers.

Woohoo! Way to go Groundspeak! It was a pleasure to be a beta tester this time around and see a bunch of my own pet peeves fixed. Keep up the great work! B)
I'm really puzzled. Were there really that many pet peeves fixed? What were they? I only saw 3 items on the list that I cared about at all. Maybe I am not a power user any more. :blink:

Gee fizzy, I didn't know you cared :rolleyes:

I did care. Thanks for sharing your list. My three items were in there!

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: March 10th, 2009 Release

19. Increased Bookmark list limit from 20 to 40

How about increasing the numbers of PQs as well, and also allow 10 PQs ran each day?

Or increasing the maximum number of caches in a PQ.

Added "remove from watchlist" link to watched trackable pages

The new "Remove from watchlist" link on the trackable page does not work for me. It takes me to the watchlist page where the following message is displayed: "The item has already been removed or was not on your watch list."

I think the problem is the "ds=1" in the link:

Malfunctioning link on trackable page:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?ds=1&id=XXXXXX&action=rem

Functioning link on watchlist page:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?ds=2&id=XXXXXX&action=rem

:rolleyes: