GPS and Search & Rescue

Followers 2

GPS technology is just becoming used by my local fire department and we're looking for good training material to educate our firefighters/EMT's. Locally, I only know of one Fish & Game officer that uses GPS when doing search and rescue, but I don't remember who that is (I only saw him at one search and rescue last year).

Does anyone have any training material that would be geared towards this end?

C-Wy already sent me what he had, I'm just looking if there is anything more specific.

Thank you in advance.

GPS technology is just becoming used by my local fire department and we're looking for good training material to educate our firefighters/EMT's. Locally, I only know of one Fish & Game officer that uses GPS when doing search and rescue, but I don't remember who that is (I only saw him at one search and rescue last year).

Does anyone have any training material that would be geared towards this end?

C-Wy already sent me what he had, I'm just looking if there is anything more specific.

Thank you in advance.

Trimble has a good online tutorial. It would make a decent PowerPoint presentation. May not be specific enough to firefighting.

The best way to learn it is to use it. :)

Is it something hand-held or a dashboard type one? I would imagine that, once outside, it may take it a minute or more to lock onto a signal or especially to input the info for a route (if needed) and by that time they may be already on the road and know where they are going. It would be useful for finding something rural but only if you can have a coordinate for a rural address. The Fish & Game officer would have a great need in that someone could be anywhere away from a place with an address.

I just Googled Fire Department GPS and found this among a lot of other links.

Edited by Iowa Tom

What I'm looking for is to help firefighters when it comes to using GPSr's to find lost/hurt hikers/snowmobilers in the White Mountain National Forest and surrounding areas.

Snowmobilers now have all of their trails in our area labeled with GPS coords every so often on trails.

Maybe you should have them find an arbitrary place in town, one of your choosing.

The only thing they would need to know about is GOTO and how to input the coordinate manually right?

The biggest problem I have had in inputting a coordinate is that I make an error and don't realize it. It would be good to have another person double check that.

Practice makes perfect. I find that I forget how to use certain features on my GPS unit if I don't use it for months.

Wouldn't happen to be in Michigan would you? :)

I think what I'll need to do before I do any training for GPS is to make sure that they can all read a map. My local department I'm only sure that only a handful can actually read a topt map.

For anyone wanting to know, the reason for my previous two empty posts is that the Internet simply went on and on w/o showing it went through. I got impatient and stopped then resent it more than once.

Nathan, take a look at terraserver viewer . You can enter one or more coordinates and look at an old image or an old topo map. The fact that they are old may not be a problem for wilderness areas.

Followers 2