Garmin Oregon v2.93 beta released

eaparks

I may have found a tiny bug. When geocaching select GO (as in navigate to the geocache), then on the map scroll the screen to put the pin on the geocache your navigating too. Now select that geocache from the label that appears on top and the description will be blank. It's only blank on the geocache you're navigating too, and the description will show up if you look for it under the geocaching tab on the main screen.

Otherwise this version continues to be very accurate; so much so that I turned WAAS off.

One little bit of information I wish the cache description did have is the date it was originally placed.

The geocache bug has been around prior to the beta release. From the wiki:

Selecting the geocache on the map page which is the current off-road destination results in a blank page with just a "Go" and "return" button. The Go button doesn't appear to have any function although the return button still works. (2.85)

I used it for several hours today. No power problems, no battery isses and accuracy was GREAT! However, I wasn't in the woods either.

I have been using my OR 400t win v2.93 since it was released on 3/10. I had one power off while using a Garmin external power that afternoon, but none since. On Sat (03/14) I used my OR for several hours with WAAS lock, and again on Sun (03/15). The set of batteries I used those two days was a partially charged low-discharge NiMH Kodak branded, and they appear to have lasted about 6-8 hours wen starting with an unknown charge level. I know they had been used all day on Friday in my bluetooth mouse, and I'm not sure what their charge level was before that...

Just to add some data to the battery discussion:

I have 2450mAh batteries and was riding for 6 hours with the compass on and screen always on full and the battery gauge was down to 1/4 bars by the end of the day. It was probably around 7 hours in total the device was running in this state, so having 1/4 battery power left seems reasonable and in line with the last firmware I was using.

I've put some more tracks up on the wiki here, these contain direct comparison to the 60csx.

The good news: The accuracy of the Oregon is as good or better than the 60csx. During the 4-5 tests I've done the Oregon has done a good job staying within the 25ft wide reference I use.

The bad news: There is still a lot of noise in the Oregon track which adds 10-20% to the length of the track logs and makes them look jumpy.

I like 2.93v, HOWEVER since I installed it my OR400t has been randomly turning itself off for no apparent reason. Happened twice yesterday and once today. Today it was just sitting in my car while I looked for a cache. got back into the car and the unit was off.

I've put some more tracks up on the wiki here, these contain direct comparison to the 60csx.

The good news: The accuracy of the Oregon is as good or better than the 60csx. During the 4-5 tests I've done the Oregon has done a good job staying within the 25ft wide reference I use.

The bad news: There is still a lot of noise in the Oregon track which adds 10-20% to the length of the track logs and makes them look jumpy.

Thanks so much for your efforts and analysis. Your composite tracks compare favorably with what I've been seeing with my Oregon 400t, and so far I've been completely blown away by the accuracy (Geocaching) I've been getting. Agree with your comment on the wiki too - I do hope Garmin can tweak the tracks, but NOT at the expense of coordinate accuracy. I never upgraded to Ver 2.85 or 2.86...but took the plunge with Ver 2.93 after reading all the "pleased" comments in the Forum...and I'm very happy with it.

Bill

I like 2.93v, HOWEVER since I installed it my OR400t has been randomly turning itself off for no apparent reason. Happened twice yesterday and once today. Today it was just sitting in my car while I looked for a cache. got back into the car and the unit was off.

This is the issue with 2.93. I cannot figure out why some people are seeing this and others aren't.

GerIRL, how were you powered? Off the auto adapter? Batteries, what type? Were you doing anything special when the shutdowns happened?

This is the issue with 2.93. I cannot figure out why some people are seeing this and others aren't.

GerIRL, how were you powered? Off the auto adapter? Batteries, what type? Were you doing anything special when the shutdowns happened?

I use NiMh batt's they are very tight, even with heavy shocks no way they can move.

While navigating between caches today (in automotive mode) the GPS simply froze with a turn indicator visible on the map screen. Had to remove batteries to reset unit. Once I did this all was ok, it resumed navigating on the same rout when powered back on.

This is under 2.93, with rechargable batteries, which worked fine for the next 8 caches (and still going) so far this is an isolated freeze for me! I am liking 2.93 so far!

DD

I use NiMh batt's they are very tight, even with heavy shocks no way they can move.

At all times I was using NiMH Powerex 2700's, well charged. Each time it shut down, I was doing nothing on the GPSr.

I used mine yesterday for about 4 hours and still haven't seen any power issues. I use 2700 NiMh batteries. Also, the accuracy was GREAT in the open. However, under any sort of tree cover, it takes a little while to "settle down" still. No more so than most any other GPSr though.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it! Best update so far! (It's about time!)

-Oregon 300-Topo Germany 2-CN2009.11 Europe-Topo GB2-NiMH Bat's-

Discovered the freezin issue once 4 days ago. Never had that malfunction before. I removed the NiMH batteries, put them back in and all was fine! Until now no freezin.

The accuracy is impressive. Just the Waas/Egnos lock is not perfect yet. I just made one cache with 2.93 but that was an absolut spot landing.

Garmin releases Oregon v2.93 beta to correct some problems created in v2.86 beta.

Changes made from version 2.86 to 2.93:

• Please report any problems with beta software to OregonBeta@garmin.com
  • Improved GPS reception
  • Improved connection reliability with Spanner
  • Fixed GB Discoverer map not displaying while zooming (introduced in 2.86 beta)
  • Fixed roads not showing on maps with satellite imagery (introduced in 2.86 beta)
  • Fixed map with no DEM data drawing with a gray background (introduced in 2.86 beta)

What is the determining factor as to when Garmin will take this beta to a full blown release? Or is there one?

Garmin releases Oregon v2.93 beta to correct some problems created in v2.86 beta.

Changes made from version 2.86 to 2.93:

• Please report any problems with beta software to OregonBeta@garmin.com
  • Improved GPS reception
  • Improved connection reliability with Spanner
  • Fixed GB Discoverer map not displaying while zooming (introduced in 2.86 beta)
  • Fixed roads not showing on maps with satellite imagery (introduced in 2.86 beta)
  • Fixed map with no DEM data drawing with a gray background (introduced in 2.86 beta)

Deleted double. Sorry

Edited by spencdo

Today I had some significant problems with the new upgrade. I mapped the same out and back trail multiple times now. Under clear skies the new f/w was doing pretty good. However today we had light cloud cover and the track produced was mapped in a totally different area with over 100 foot differences on the out and back track. The satellite page indicated a strong signals with the birds in a nice SW to NE line. However GPS positional error was never shown as being better that 40 feet? WAAS was turned on, but never locked. Results sent to Garmin Beta. Still not anywhere near as consistent as my 76csx.

Today I had some significant problems with the new upgrade. I mapped the same out and back trail multiple times now. Under clear skies the new f/w was doing pretty good. However today we had light cloud cover and the track produced was mapped in a totally different area with over 100 foot differences on the out and back track. The satellite page indicated a strong signals with the birds in a nice SW to NE line. However GPS positional error was never shown as being better that 40 feet? WAAS was turned on, but never locked. Results sent to Garmin Beta. Still not anywhere near as consistent as my 76csx.

I loaded 2.93B last night and went out for a few this morning. Everything seemed to work fine except for one cache where the unit suddenly told me I was off by about 200 ft. (I was under residential power lines). I shut it off, restarted, and things came back to "normal". Accuracy seems good - I can find caches without a problem. The WAAS locks up immediately once sat 48 is green (I'm on the left coast). If I put my hand over the unit, I lose WAAS but not all the sats. For some reason the receiver doesn't seem to be as sensitive to the WAAS signal??? I haven't experienced the shutdown issues mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

I haven't looked at the tracks yet, but I'm pleased overall. 431 caches and counting with this Oregon 400T :)

At least the unit knew that something was amiss and indicated as much (+40ft). I've had this happen twice during all my use. I just rebooted it and things were OK.

Here is what I wrote to Garmin:

Hello,

I would like to express my disappointment with the last 2.93 Beta version for Oregon 300.. I’ve been using my rechargeable Sony batteries for six months now and there have never been any problems like these turn-offs with the previous two versions. My Oregon item used to work for at least 20 hours in the mountains (rechargeable batteries Sony or Sanyo 2700 mAh and now it does for only 8 hours under similar meteorological conditions. I did an experiment and changed the new 2.93 version with the old 2.85 Beta version and the item started working as it did before – it doesn’t turn off automatically any longer and can operate for at least 20 hours with one pair of batteries.

My request to you is to pay attention to this significant issue because the Oregon GPS device is also designed to meet the extreme conditions up in the mountains and I think it is really inconvenient if the batteries go flat and the item turns off in 6-7 hours.

What is more, after I installed the 2.93 Beta version my Oregon item turned off automatically for at least three times and I have got no idea why this happened (batteries fully charged). I find these unreasonable turn-offs totally incomprehensible.

I was also disappointed with the fact that the proxi POI and proxi waypoints could not be activated while I was walking ( that is at walking speed; when the speed is bigger – while riding a bike or driving a car it is OK). This issue occurs both with the 2.86 and 2.93 versions. Then I tried to test the Map Source program and to install proxi waypoints but they were immediately deleted by the device.

Stefan

I have never got 20 hours out of a set of batteries. 2.93 seems to be more of a battery pig but not to the point of being a bad release.

It is really weird that some people are seeing power offs and the rest of us are not seeing them.

In my opinion, 2.93 is the best release yet.

Pretty tough to get 20 hours on the Oregon with NiMH batteries. In some very contrived tests with the backlight off the entire time (GPS had lock but wasn't moving, no compass, no WAAS) I got a little over 20. Normal life is much closer to 10-12 with backlight, moving and touch screen usage.

The track log ( distance 10m ) of my Oregon item is on all the time, compass is off, WAAS is also off, the display backlight - off in the daytime and on early in the morning or in the evening. I spend the day mountaineering from morning till late in the evening making frequent data checks and inserting new waypoints.

FYI.

I did about a five hour hike/geocache trek today the the Oregon 400t with beta 2.93 and it must have shut off 20+ times. I reset, changed batteries and nothing helped.

Ran it the other day all day long and never had a problem. I will let the Garmin Beta team know.

So far, accuracy seems good for geocaching. No troubles there. Oregon 300 Canada

However I have had the compas calibration screen come up after energysaver screen and asks me to press in the middle of compas to recalibrate or even sometimes just recalibrates by itself. I even had it ask me to reset everthing after turning the unit on.

The batteries wont last very long. Maybe 3 hours compared to at least 6 with 3.85 with nihm 2100 recharg. batteries.

Sometimes the unit won't even shut off without remouving the batteries.

Compas still bounces around once in a while.

At least Garmin are working hard for us and the day will eventually come !!

Been an enlightening time tonight. Went into the 'about' tab (or is it 'info'?) and found that my '300 -purchased new from REI a little over 24 hours ago- was operating on 2.48! Upgraded to 2.80 as that was the newest thing I could DL with Garmin's Web Updater. Then found the 2.86 thread (OK, I did see the 2.86 listed on the Garmin beta page, but something just seemed to be telling me not to update. The 2.86 thread convinced me).

Obviously I've since found the 2.93 thread and made that update. I'll be approaching tomorrow's hunt with a good measure of guarded optimism. It's gotta be better than today was: 3 attempts, 0 finds!

Been an enlightening time tonight. Went into the 'about' tab (or is it 'info'?) and found that my '300 -purchased new from REI a little over 24 hours ago- was operating on 2.48! Upgraded to 2.80 as that was the newest thing I could DL with Garmin's Web Updater. Then found the 2.86 thread (OK, I did see the 2.86 listed on the Garmin beta page, but something just seemed to be telling me not to update. The 2.86 thread convinced me).

Obviously I've since found the 2.93 thread and made that update. I'll be approaching tomorrow's hunt with a good measure of guarded optimism. It's gotta be better than today was: 3 attempts, 0 finds!

Just go to http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Click on "Versions" on the left and it will keep you informed of any updates and you can even download them from that page!

On the battery thing... I'm sure being avid cachers that you won't have noticed this :antenna:

I, however, have had a couple of fallow weeks and I have noticed that on a couple of occasions I power on the unit that was near to full charge and it is in the red.

I'm wondering if something isn't being turned off properly when you power down on 2.93.

Anyone else notice this?

I was out on the geocaching trail yesterday with my wife. We decided that she would go find 3 caches I had found almost a year ago (using my Colorado 300). I tagged along with my Oregon 400t (and teh latest beta software). We did fine on the first two caches. When we left the trail for the 3rd cache, I checked the heading and that the distance to the cache was decreasing (down to about 295 feet when I had last looked). A short time later, she is stopping and staring at me, because I looked at my Oregon screen and it said that we were still about 245 feet away from the cache with an accuracy listing of 8 feet. She had 16 feet (on her 60Cx) and yes, we were that close to the cache. While she was signing the log, I power cycled my Oregon, and the location suddenly jumped to the correct place, and I had an accuracy listing of 38 feet. On the hike back to our car, the accuracy rating returned to the 10-12 feet area, and the track log matched fairly closely to the track we laid down on our way out.

On Friday on my way home from work, my GPSr appeared to have locked-up about .5-1 mile from home, and even when I pulled the external power (a Garmin power cable) it did not change, nor ask me f I wanted to remain on. I had to pull the batteries to get the unit to power-off. I didn't think too much here since the batteries I had in the unit were rather low. Other than the one power-off while driving with the external power attached the day I loaded this beta v2.93 software, these two issues over the weekend are the only other issues I have seen (that I know of).

On the battery thing... I'm sure being avid cachers that you won't have noticed this :antenna:

I, however, have had a couple of fallow weeks and I have noticed that on a couple of occasions I power on the unit that was near to full charge and it is in the red.

I'm wondering if something isn't being turned off properly when you power down on 2.93.

Anyone else notice this?

I noticed this once as well. I hadn't used the GPS for a couple of days and I went to do a cache that I had DNF'd. I'm pretty sure my battery meter was reading 3 bars the last time I had used it, but the unit wouldn't power on. I tried again and saw the "Low Battery" message just before it turned back off. I replaced the batteries and all was well.

JetSkier