New Groundspeak Geocoin Policies... 50 = icon!

avroair

Groundspeak Geocoin Policy

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and Personal Coins.

2. The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your coins is a one time fee of $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

3. All icon submissions must be the property of the owner or used with the owners permission.

4. 50 code minimum order.

Yep! Order 50 coins and you can get an icon. :ph34r: No need to order 250 anymore, so hopefully vendors who sell coins for $11.00 will now automatically include an icon instead of holding the buyers ransom to 250 sold. :)

Full policy is pinned up top: HERE

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and Personal Coins.

2. The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your coins is a one time fee of $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

3. All icon submissions must be the property of the owner or used with the owners permission.

4. 50 code minimum order.

Yep! Order 50 coins and you can get an icon. :ph34r: No need to order 250 anymore, so hopefully vendors who sell coins for $11.00 will now automatically include an icon instead of holding the buyers ransom to 250 sold. :)

I was so glad to here this new policy.

It will help with the icon issues and making the whole 250 to start out with.

Now i can make a few at 100 and not have this issue to deal with.

The new policies are great it will allow more people to come out with coins, only downside is the cost of the coins may be higher due to the initial costs of the molds and the icon. I still don't see many people who are making smaller runs of coins adding the icon up front.

We try to put the icon up when we start so that when you 1st activate your coin you will have the icon there and not have to wait until we can afford to make one.

I was just ready to make some coins with a icon and do only 100 for now and the other 150 at a latter date.

I was going to pay the 150 for the icon and it would not be active until i made the other 150.

Now the icon will be active when i make 100.

Now i can put lower limits on coins made.

Probably still have to make 150 of something to make an icon cost effective, but it's nice the minimum was lowered.

I agree with this.

The old numbers at 250 coins added $.60 to each coin. At 50 coins that would add $3.00. If I sell coins for $10.00 and now need to add $2.40 more to a coin just incase I sell only 50. the sales would decrease and I would be more likely to sell less.

Another note to think about is that most mints have 100 mins or the price jumps up. So if you take into account the changes and do try to mint 50 with a unique icon. The cost of the coins could double and then no coins will sell. I think the number will be somewhere between 100-250 but I haven't worked the numbers yet.

It is nice that it has been lowered. If you are having coins minted then it is harder to cover the cost. However, people that plan to make their own trackables can now get an icon at a lower minimum and then add more codes later or vise versa.

I wanted the icon when I did my coins last year, and having all 250 minted at the same time was the best option. Since I was wanting to make some items this year; I was debating on how many I should make. Now this changes things.

I can also move forward with other plans as well with this lower number. Now if I can just get that job they called me about today.

This is nice, so that those who want to make their own Coins/Trackables can now get an Icon. Thanks Groundspeak. We should see some cool new designs now coming out by those who can't afford to make a large run, but feel the need to have an Icon to brand their work. one thing that can be done with this new policy, is to give some LEs and other special coins a distinction. They can now have a seperate Icon from the REs, added expense, yes, but some people will love to use the option. I'm guessing this change came from requests, not out of the clear blue sky.

As someone else pointed out, the only wat to get an Icon for a 50 coin run before was to but 200 extra numbers

Custom Coin Icons:

2. ... The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

Hi,

This rule isn't complied with I think. Look at some of the icons in your profile.

Some are GIF format, some are JPG format, and World Travel Geocoins 228.gif has animated icon. Pixel size is also different.

At last, some geocoins don't have their own icon at all. :):)

Custom Coin Icons:

2. ... The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

Hi,

This rule isn't complied with I think. Look at some of the icons in your profile.

Some are GIF format, some are JPG format, and World Travel Geocoins 228.gif has animated icon. Pixel size is also different.

At last, some geocoins don't have their own icon at all. :):)

My guess would be that those icons were made and used before the new policies disallowed them.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but now I'm curious if people who opted out of a custom icon previously because of minimum numbers can now "upgrade" their existing coins to have a custom icon.

I don't see why that would be much of a problem, since it's just more money in Groundspeak's pocket for simply jostling around a few electrons. The tracking numbers are obviously already categorized by the coin name associated with the tracking number.

Old news, this was reported at coinmatters.com days ago.

I feel sorry for all those folks that went and ordered 250 tracking numbers just to get an icon. Just goes to show that nothing stays the same, I wonder if all these trackables will still be trackable in 10 years time?

People always get pinched right at the change... we bought 500 NNJC tracking numbers and made three different event coins that shared the icon... only for the number to then be reduced to 250. Can't win them all.

Not everyone reads coinmatters, I certainly don't so it was news to me. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for all those folks that went and ordered 250 tracking numbers just to get an icon. Just goes to show that nothing stays the same, I wonder if all these trackables will still be trackable in 10 years time?

People always get pinched right at the change... we bought 500 NNJC tracking numbers and made three different event coins that shared the icon... only for the number to then be reduced to 250. Can't win them all.

Not everyone reads coinmatters, I certainly don't so it was news to me. :rolleyes:

Ditto, I've never heard of it.

At last, some geocoins don't have their own icon at all. :mad::D

True - but if you don't comply with the rules, nasty things may happen in the future. My small Eclectic Penguin icon isn't square (I submitted the wrong icon) - it looks fine in most places but is resized badly in others. I plan to correct this in due course.

Also, remeber the time last year when all non-square avitars suddenly became stretched on the forum when they upgraded the software.

At last, some geocoins don't have their own icon at all. :mad::D

The one and only animated icon. There have been a couple of vendors which have tried to sneak some in...

But as for code/icon changes, I am for it. I have seen a few people put out the money for extra codes to be used in the future and this fixes that problem.

As an FYI, just to get 100 coins out the door:

Die Fees - $100

100 Codes - $150

Icon - $150

Total - $400 and you havent even started with the cost of coins/s&h/etc.

Edited by nielsenc

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but now I'm curious if people who opted out of a custom icon previously because of minimum numbers can now "upgrade" their existing coins to have a custom icon.

I heard from the powers that be and they said you coudl upgrade to an icon now, if you wanted to pay for the upgrade of course.

Interesting!

World Travel Geocoins 228.gif has animated icon.

The one and only animated icon.

System-loaded, that is. :P I've really had a blast doing animated icons for the fun of it. Some past (and future) coins have "alternate" animated icons that are free for anyone to use on eBay, or their various webpages. They just add a little fun to the project.

cr07rocker.gif

cr08spinner.gif

What would you guys think if GC allowed animated icons for a higher price than $150?

Whaddaya think Bryan? :)

Edited by YemonYime

System-loaded, that is. :P I've really had a blast doing animated icons for the fun of it. Some past (and future) coins have "alternate" animated icons that are free for anyone to use on eBay, or their various webpages. They just add a little fun to the project.

cr07rocker.gif

cr08spinner.gif

What would you guys think if GC allowed animated icons for a higher price than $150?

Oooo! Those are cool!

I think animated icons should cost the same, it doesn't take more time to upload them etc... but if we are going with that as a given then $200 for animated would be sweet! B)

cr07rocker.gif

cr08spinner.gif

Oooo! Those are cool!

I think animated icons should cost the same, it doesn't take more time to upload them etc... but if we are going with that as a given then $200 for animated would be sweet! B)

One major drawback though...it takes a considerably longer amount of time to design them.

Don't forget...once up a time, there were those of us that had to order 500 trackable coins to get an icon.

Don't forget...once up a time, there were those of us that had to order 500 trackable coins to get an icon.

Actually, the first requirements for a coin icon were 1000 and that was only available to Geocaching groups (or any vendor close to Groundspeak). It wasn't until August of 2005 that the number was dropped to 500 and personals were allowed to have an icon. My v2 shared codes with Kilted Cacher, fotomom and 2 others (I believe).