GARMIN ETREX H connection to laptop

I have just purchased a GARMIN ETREX H. The package included a cable to connect the unit to a serial port. My laptop does not have a serial so I purchased a serial to USB adapter cable

I have downloaded and installed the GARMIN USB drivers but I am unable to connect the unit to the laptop so that I can download co-ordinates from geocaching.

Can anybody help? :)

I have just purchased a GARMIN ETREX H. The package included a cable to connect the unit to a serial port. My laptop does not have a serial so I purchased a serial to USB adapter cable

I have downloaded and installed the GARMIN USB drivers but I am unable to connect the unit to the laptop so that I can download co-ordinates from geocaching.

The USB<->serial adapter makes your USB connection look like a serial port, it doesn't make your serial device look like a USB device, therefore you don't want to use the USB drivers you want to use the ETREX in serial mode, that's the theory but I'm not sure of the exect how-to as I've never done it.

I think that you require usb to serial adapter drivers. This link might be helpful. You can then download the correct drivers after searching google but make sure that you get the correct ones according to your operating system as you need specific drivers for Vista.

Hope this helps

Hi, I use an etrexH on my laptop via a usb to serial connector. I have never had to download a driver for it but I also have memory map and can change the GPS setting to serial port and it worked just fine. If you don't have memory map maybe try the changing the GPS settings via Google Earth. Otherwise try it in all your usb ports, I found it wouldn't work on one of mine no matter what I did. Goodluck.

The thing you need is to get the USB-Serial working.. THis can be a real pain..

I had this problem a few years ago when we started caching.. XP laptop adapter and Garmin Legend.

Took me ages to find a driver that finally worked..

After that everything worked ok GSAK included..

Good luck :)

I use a USB-Serial adaptor to connect my telescope to my laptop. I bought the adaptor from Novatech and it came with a driver on CD. Installed it (on Vista) and it creates a 'virtual' serial port - in this case port 6. That's what you need to end up with, a serial port number. Then in any application that connects to your GPS you select Serial and that port number.

Chris (MrB)

I use a USB-Serial adaptor to connect my telescope to my laptop. I bought the adaptor from Novatech and it came with a driver on CD. Installed it (on Vista) and it creates a 'virtual' serial port - in this case port 6. That's what you need to end up with, a serial port number. Then in any application that connects to your GPS you select Serial and that port number.

Chris (MrB)

You might try this if you use a USB to Serial adaptor and you wish to

use a lower comport number as many adaptors install with high

numbers like 6, mine was 16.

This works with my laptop running Vista home premium and a Prolific

chipset USB/serial adaptor, and is useful if you have an older piece of

software that only recognises com1 to com4.

Assuming you have the correct drivers installed:

With your device plugged into a USB port,

Open Device Manager in windows Control Panel.

Select Ports (COM & LPT) by clicking on the [+] on the left,

You should see your adaptor listed if it is installed correctly,

right click on it and select properties.

Choose the Port Settings tab and click on the advanced button.

At the bottom of the window, click the dropdown list to the right of

COM Port Number and choose a free comport.

Click OK twice and then close Device Manager

Your Comport should now be the number you chose.

This should also work in Windows XP too.

adrianjohn

Hi everyone

Thanks for taking the time and helping.......however I still cannot connect.

The cable I am using is made by NIKKAI and it states on the box that drivers are not required for windows XP.

I have installed the PROLIFIC PL-2303 USB-to-serial driver OK and changed it to port COM1.

I have checked the GPS interface and it is set to GARMIN.

I try to download from the geocaching site and it askes me to install Communicator which I do but still no download.

What am I doing wrong ??

I'm not on a PC and I use Vista when I do, but...

In the control panel settings, with the Garmin on and leads connected, in the Ports/Comm -does it show anything connected?

The Garmin/lead/adaptor may be trying to connect on one of the Ports... I think Comm 1 or Comm 3

Or may show which it is connected to

Other than that, I'm stumped. :)

edit to add

I try to download from the geocaching site and it asks me to install Communicator which I do but still no download.

Are you using Internet Explore as your browser?

IE6? Try updating to IE7

Or change to Firefox -also has some excellent add on scripts to help with caching!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi everyone

Thanks for taking the time and helping.......however I still cannot connect.

The cable I am using is made by NIKKAI and it states on the box that drivers are not required for windows XP.

I have installed the PROLIFIC PL-2303 USB-to-serial driver OK and changed it to port COM1.

I have checked the GPS interface and it is set to GARMIN.

Try using another usb port. I have several usb ports on my laptop but not all of them will work with the usb/serial adapter.

Edited by The Boat People

I have just been informed that to use the SEND TO GPS action on the View Cache Details page you need to be a Premium member.

Is this correct?

Yes.

However you can send the .loc files to a connected GPS. .loc files have a lot less information in them than GPX files.

EasyGPS wiil send the files available here

Info page here.

Or, if you feel adventurous GSAK has a free trial period -and will deal with loc and GPX files.

EasyGPS is quick and easy.

edit -fix links

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi everybody.

It looks like all my problems (connecting to the GPS that is) were down to me not being a Premium member.

I have downloaded easygps and everything is working fine.

I have been really impressed with all the replies and also how helpful you have all been.

Even though this is my first attempt at 'caching' I already feel part of the family

Thanks again

I have just been informed that to use the SEND TO GPS action on the View Cache Details page you need to be a Premium member.

Is this correct? - If so it may explain my problem.

I have installed memory map on my laptop and this connects to the garmin etrex h OK

I used to download the waypoints to my Etrex H without been a premium member for over a year, unless they have changed this recently??? Glad you can down download the waypoints, it saves alot of time entering them manually.

Happy Caching..... :D