Replacing others logs sheets?

duckdogs

Lately I have found several micros with log sheets either saturated wet or so filled with signatures that there was virtually no where to sign. I typically have spare log sheets, so is it OK to replace these with a new one in a new zip-lock even though I don't own the cache? I know that I like to read mine once they are full or need replaced. I had thought of keeping the full log, notifying the owner in a note and offering to mail it to them if wanted. Would you be OK with this?

I will add a sheet if the current one is full but I am hesitant about taking it in case I somehow can't get it back to the owner. Silly to add a new sheet to an already soggy cache - the new sheet will be just as wet within minutes.

That's why I carry a couple of Rite-in-the-Rain notebooks with me. Its come in handy for just that reason a number of times.

A fellow geocacher takes the log home, dries it out and replaces it with a new plastic bag. A good guy hey?

Not really, unless that cacher is putting a temporary log in for anyone that finds the cache before he can return the dry one to it.

We add a page when we find one full and notify the owner if it's wet and soggy. A fellow geocacher takes the log home, dries it out and replaces it with a new plastic bag. A good guy hey? :)

OB

A vehicle's defroster works great for drying out logs quickly.

Assuming you are anywhere near your vehicle............

....as well as infesting your vehicle's interior with all kinds'a unknown mold spores!

Just kiddin', halfway kinda sorta....but better safe than sorry, I say.

Me - paper dries out pretty quickly just lain on a warm engine hood....sunlight & breeze too. I've even just draped one over a nearby sunlit branch while I stepped off in the woods & took a ....took a......... a..... a breather! Yeah, a breather......that's da ticket!

\ & I'm stickin' to it!

\\ no, not 'it'....my story!!

~*

....as well as infesting your vehicle's interior with all kinds'a unknown mold spores!

Just kiddin', halfway kinda sorta....but better safe than sorry, I say.

Me - paper dries out pretty quickly just lain on a warm engine hood....

:)

I replace cache logsheets all the time, if they are wet or full. If the old one was wet, I lay it on my dashboard to dry during the day. When I get home, I scan them on my printer/fax/scanner/coffee maker and include the image with my log entry. Look at my gallery for dozens of examples. That way those cache owners that are anal about their logbooks (like me) have a picture. The others can ignore it.

If you're going to save them like this, very first thing you should do is write the GC# on the corner of the logsheet so you don't forget which cache it's from. I learned that the hard way :)

Talking about good deeds... thats the way to do it!

Once, in a 86400 seconds tour, we replaced a whole cache... container, stash, logbook, pencil and gifts... after contacting the owners by cellphone. In other cases, we replaced bags, micros and pencils.

We all expect someday others do the same to our caches, didnt we?!

Edited by ruidealmeida

I've got a whole assortment of replacement logsheets in my TOTTbag -- for nano's, film cans, bisons....even a few whole sheets & scissors to trim 'em down with.

Come to think of it, I've got more stuff in there for rescuing caches than I do for findin' & retrieving the darn things!

Hmmm....gotta rethink my priorities here.

~*

:ph34r: I replace them all the time. In fact I just got a shipment of 50, 35mm film containers and a stack of Rite In The Rain log sheets. Seems 35-mm containers are heavily used in this part of VA, and they do not seem to last forever. I have never had a complaint from a owner for repairing his/her cache container or log sheet.

It really does a favor for future cachers and makes the sport moe enjoyable for all :ph34r::)

I took my brother to a micro I'd found previously but the log was COMPLETELY full. I keep various sizes of ziplock bags and papers/logs in my geobag so I took the old log and placed it in an envelope (that I also keep handy) and marked where I got it from. Gave my brother a new log to write on and took the old one home with me (brother lives a couple hours away). Immediately I emailed cache owner that it was full, had been replaced and I had the old log if he wished to keep it. He told me of another cache near by that he placed and would be large enough to leave the old log. A couple days later I went by that direction again and dropped it off for the owner.

I've never known one who didn't appreciate appropriate helpful maintenance.

I usually carry a bunch of cache logs in the small craft bags with a log sheet and a cache note in case the log is so soaked or full that I can't sign it. Then I notify the log owner. The log sheet is only large enough for another 10-15 people to sign it so they usually have to replace it soon enough, but gives them some time to get there if they can't do it right away. I appreciate when people do it for my caches so I do it for other people.

Done my share of logsheet replacement - seems like an easy enough way to return something to the game.

Perhaps this will be a good thread to consolidate where log sheet templates can be found as well as sources for plastic baggies?

Logsheets:

Variety of PDFs : http://www.techblazer.com/geocaching-log-sheets/

Plastic baggies:

eBay

Michaels

http://www.royalbag.com (minimum 1000 bags for small bags)

http://www.artbeads.com (free shipping but expensive, limited sizes)

We add a page when we find one full and notify the owner if it's wet and soggy. A fellow geocacher takes the log home, dries it out and replaces it with a new plastic bag. A good guy hey? :rolleyes:

OB

Yeah,, forgot about that; near the vehicle,,, haven't found many micros that required a 5 mile hike across a parking lot though.

Lately I have found several micros with log sheets either saturated wet or so filled with signatures that there was virtually no where to sign. I typically have spare log sheets, so is it OK to replace these with a new one in a new zip-lock even though I don't own the cache? I know that I like to read mine once they are full or need replaced. I had thought of keeping the full log, notifying the owner in a note and offering to mail it to them if wanted. Would you be OK with this?

What kind of micro has room for a log AND a Zip-Lock Baggie ?? Not any micro I know of.

What kind of micro has room for a log AND a Zip-Lock Baggie ?? Not any micro I know of.

Replace the log and offering to snail-mail the old one is what I do too, though I've never had anyone ask to have one mailed.

Lil Devil's scanning idea is a thoughtful one.

TeamSeek, you are probably thinking of Nano containers (acorn or pencil eraser-size) that will only hold a small strip log. There is plenty of room in Micros like keyholders and film cans for a baggie.

where are these nice people? i have NEVER had anyone replace a wet log... all i get is "THE LOG IS WET" "THE LOG NEEDS TO BE REPLACED" "LOG IS TOO WET TO SIGN"

i carry extra logs in baggies all ready to go incase i come across a WET LOG... and in some desert / remote caches where the entire cache has been destroyed, i have replaced the container and put the remaining contence back inside, and in my log informed the cache owner what i had done...

i would hope that they would do the same for me... even tho they dont, i still do.

If there is room in the cache, I will leave a fresh log in a new bag. Otherwise I will leave a piece of paper with my sig. In any case I let the CO know there is an issue. Sometimes they fix it, sometimes they don't. I've seen several people rescue, scan and post the log sheet with their log, which is cool also.

I typically carry a couple of decon containers containing the spare logs, bags and pens, but I hesitate to deploy them if I can't find the original cache or pieces thereof.

All the CO's I know (including myself) would be very appreciative of the assistance. Recently my cache container broke on a very cold day and the finder replaced the entire cache. I always carry a couple spare logs and a few mini-zip locks just in case I come across one that needs some assistance.

All film canister and magnetics that I have found had plenty of room for a log inside a 2"X3" mini-ziplock bag.

We add a page when we find one full and notify the owner if it's wet and soggy. A fellow geocacher takes the log home, dries it out and replaces it with a new plastic bag. A good guy hey? :antenna:

OB

I have dried out Soo many logs that way. If you are not in a hurry to grab and go, then you can take the time to do this. A rolled up logsheet from a typical micro can be dried to a crisp in under two minutes. On one flipside of this method...If there is any mildew/mold on the log, then you are blowing the spores all over your car!!

I don't thing I have ever "Replaced" a log sheet, but I have often added something. If you end up taking the old one, you should be prepared to make an effort to return it to the owner.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

All the CO's I know (including myself) would be very appreciative of the assistance. Recently my cache container broke on a very cold day and the finder replaced the entire cache. I always carry a couple spare logs and a few mini-zip locks just in case I come across one that needs some assistance.

All film canister and magnetics that I have found had plenty of room for a log inside a 2"X3" mini-ziplock bag.

"Micro" used to be something like an altoids tin or a film can. Thise type of Micros have plenty of room for the Log/Bag, as well as several tiny trade items. Nano Caches are another story.