GPS Virgins - Suggestions Wanted

IslandFoxyCouple

We are newbies to geocaching and wanted to get some opinions on what other Canadians think is the best GPS unit and map updates to purchase for our area. We are located in Victoria, BC - but travel extensively around BC, AB, WA & OR. :ph34r:

Ultimately looking for a paperless GPS mainly for geocaching, but will also be using it for camping, hiking, biking, off-road vehicle navigation on occasion. Desired features with the unit should include waterproof, colour display & electronic compass, but understand if we can't have it all. :ph34r:

We have looked over all the major brands online - Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan, DeLorme - but all seem to have negative feedback in some area. Screens not visible in daylight, online connection problems with geocaching.com, poor satellite connection, maps not available for Canada, etc. Would just be good to hear what other Canadians have to say over what the America reviews have to say. :)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

IslandFoxyCouple~

We must admit we hear good things about the Garmin Oregon 400t, but we also hear really poor reviews about the LCD screen, including the clarity & ability to read when using the unit outdoors.

Here is one review that stood out from this forum...

First, I have the Oregon 400t and I'm very happy with it, despite its shortcoming. Now that I've established that, I've got to say that PC Mag's review is very superficial and completely ignores some factors that are important to someone who is buying an outdoor GPS.

The biggest issue is that its hi-res screen is almost unreadable in bright sunlight. The hi-res screen comes with a tradeoff compared to older units like the 60CSx and the eTrex series -- it doesn't reflect light as well. With the older units, you rarely need to use the backlight, except in the dark (of course.) With the Oregon (and the Colorado), you frequently need to turn on the power-consuming backlight to see the screen clearly. The screens have more in common with the nuvi (in car models) screens than with the old outdoor models.

To compound the visibility problem in sunlight with the Oregon is the touch screen. It employs an extra layer that seems to trap light and further reduce reflected light that would allow you to see the screen without backlight.

Ok, now for the GREAT part about the Oregon: The touch screen! I love it. Compared with the Colorado (which I also have), it's like being set free. It's easy to navigate the screens, and it's a huge improvement in entering text. It's even better than the 60CSx (which I also have) and Vista (yep, which I also have. ;-)) The Colorado never managed to replace the 60CSx as my daily "carry piece", but the Oregon seems to be doing it. Yeah, I have to keep the backlight on, and cup my hand over the screen to see it on a bright day, but with high-capacity rechargeable NiMH batteies the battery life is pretty good, and that touch-scren... that's a winner.

Now to be fair this was posted in August 2008 - has Garmin done anything to improve this unit since then to answer these issues? :)

Go to a reputable retailer and try the unit. It is dimmer in daylight than a 60CSx but certainly useable. I have a OR 300 and a 60CSx. I have pretty much retired the 60.

BTW, the 400t comes with U.S. Topo maps, not Canadian. So it might not be worth the extra $$$ if you don't spend quite a bit of time in the U.S.

As mentioned before, the 400 series of the Oregon includes maps that may not benefit you if you cache only in Canada. GPScity.ca has a pretty good deal on the Oregon 300 right now.... $449CAD (that is including the $50 MIR) No PST either. The Colorado 300 can be found for even cheaper.

FWIW the Garmin TopoCan is unlocked, although the data is fairly old so alot of roads/trails are incorrect. I use both the TopoCan maps and the ibycus maps. They differ some times, but it nice to have both as a reference.

Not that you asked.... but

Here is a screenshot of the Victoria Highlands... ibycus Topo then Garmin TopoCan. Some notable differences... Munn(Munns)rd correcly connects to millstream road on ibycus topo, but Garmin topocan shows Fork lake road going south past fizzle lake, which is just designated as a trail on ibycus. The contour lines appear identical.

iby.jpg

topocan.jpg

I lived on Fork lake 20 years ago, and Munns definitely connected to Millstream then, and the fork lake road was a trail. You can decide which is a better map.... especially considering the prices.

I personally use a Colorado 300 with Garmin Canadian and U.S. topo and love the paperless aspect that it brings. Prior to that, I used a Legend HcX which seems rather archaic in hindsight... I'd personally recommend the Colorado series, though I might be alone on that thought :)

I'm curious if anyone has had difficulties with the touch screen of the Oregon? Specifically, I'm curious if the screen can stand up to falls/scratches/scrapes as well as the other GPSr's without affecting the way it operates? With some of the terrain we encounter (and some of the silly ways we treat our $400 machines as a result) it always seemed crazy to me to have a touch screen handheld GPSr, even if you did get the screen covers.

I personally use a Colorado 300 with Garmin Canadian and U.S. topo and love the paperless aspect that it brings. Prior to that, I used a Legend HcX which seems rather archaic in hindsight... I'd personally recommend the Colorado series, though I might be alone on that thought :)

I'm curious if anyone has had difficulties with the touch screen of the Oregon? Specifically, I'm curious if the screen can stand up to falls/scratches/scrapes as well as the other GPSr's without affecting the way it operates? With some of the terrain we encounter (and some of the silly ways we treat our $400 machines as a result) it always seemed crazy to me to have a touch screen handheld GPSr, even if you did get the screen covers.

Oregon touchscreen works great. Even in cold weather with gloves on. I haven't scratched the screen and I use a screen protector. I haven't seen anyone reporting any problems with the screen on the Oregon.

Incidentally, Garmin continues to issue firmware updates for the OR while they seemed to have stopped doing the same for the CO.

Well Im leaning away from touchscreen... Im really leaning towards getting the Colorado 400T.

Just make sure you can return it to the retailer if you have problems. There have been a LOT of defective CO's

Try and get a higher serial number. Garmin fixed the back cover water leakage problem. Newer units probably have that incorporated.

The 60cx/csx is a solid recommendation, I'm very happy with mine.

While I'm not totally sold on the Colorado/Oregon, if I were in the market, I would seriously consider them as they provide some useful advancements in paperless caching.

I just hope I won't have to make the choice, I'll hold out with my 60csx until something truly better in all regards is released.

The 60cx/csx is a solid recommendation, I'm very happy with mine.

While I'm not totally sold on the Colorado/Oregon, if I were in the market, I would seriously consider them as they provide some useful advancements in paperless caching.

I just hope I won't have to make the choice, I'll hold out with my 60csx until something truly better in all regards is released.

The 60 is a true workhorse and if you don't care about paperless caching, then the best buy out there is the 60. It just doesn't fail.

I am also a newbie, but I thought i'd throw in my 2 cents-

I use a Colorado 300, and it is working grest from the paperless perspective. You can download all the cache information from geocaching.com, including difficulty, terrain, full discription and recent logs. The catch- you have to be a premium member to access the right kind of file.

The marked roads are a little off from reality, but as long as your using it for off-road reasons, it shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, but I though it might as well mention it- I've only had my Colorado since christmas, but I've been having problems where my arrow is pointing in the opposite direction I KNOW I need to go. The # of metres to go is working fine, so urban caches are no problem, but I can see it becomeing a big problem for wilderness caches.

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty good system, and practically made for geocaching. I'm sure a higher model like the 400T would be even better, especially regarding my arrow issues.

- ClanBlakley # 3

I currently use a 60csx and love it. I had a chance to try out an Oregon this weekend. While the extra features are really nice, especially loading the entire cache page I think I would still hold out with my 60csx until at least the next new hardware series or my 60csx gives out (probably whichever comes last).

The screen is certainly dimmer, I think I would end up running the backlight 100% of the time or encounter more eye strain. I found the user interface much kludgier, requiring more time and effort to affect actions. The touch screen didn't seem all that sensitive either, which is a good and bad thing, less accidental clicks, but more difficult to navigate. I didn't explore thoroughly, but there are certainly some new features and some old features have been removed.

I took my time before choosing mine. :rolleyes: And I really don't regret that I went for the MAP60CSx. Except the fact that it does not allow me to leave with all the (plus) web page infos, I found recently that I can do pretty much with a minimal infos that my gps'r let me store in just by making myself an "homemade code infos", so that I have what I think is the minimum I need.

What I like with the map 60csx , it's that it is relable in any condition. I don't have to be careful with this and that. It's very simple to operate, and when you just begin and don't want to spend time learning to deal with the basics, you want to play and learn as you play with it. Also with time you discover that it has many possibilities and you can go beyoug what you initialy thought.

So I really like this one. It's tough and can go on many playground without bothering. :laughing:

Good luck for your choice!

Edited by frodon001

FYI: Garmin has recently announced the Oregon 400TC which now comes preloaded with Canadian TOPO for those of us north of the border.....this one really makes sense now....It should be in the retailers shortly.

I disagree. I believe that the best option is still to buy the Oregon 300, and purchase the maps separately. That way you have the option of using the maps with another unit, at less cost.

The 400Tc is $700 at GPSCity.

However, you can get the 300 for $450, and the new Topo maps with DEM data for $140. This totals just $590 for essentially the exact same thing. It's really worth looking into.

BTW, I own the 300 and it's great.

I'm new to Geocaching, but on the strong advice of a Big Time cacher I avoided the Colorado and bought an Oregon 300. So far, I'm delighted with it's performance. I added a model specific Screen Shield purchased from GPS City and this has actually improved the daylight readability and also seems to be extremely scratch resistant. Some have complained about the touch screen sensitivity, especially after installing the shield. The unit provides for recalibration of the touch screen and this worked very well for me. A recent firmware upgrade provides for editing of coordinates directly from the paperless download of a cache, so this also simplifies "field" changes while searching for multi-caches, etc.

I have the base map, Canada Topo, Garmin Metro City, and a New York State Topo loaded and they seem to work very nicely. Street navigation is poor compared to the TomTom Go910 I have in the truck, but that's not what I bought the Garmin for. Off-Road, the Oregon is really quite impressive. I highly recommend it.

BTW .... I have the backlight set to maximum .... I have no problem seeing the screen and so far I haven't run the batteries down at all. I put the unit on Charge when driving around and of course carry an extra set of batteries when out in the bush, but it's been no problem at all.

Cheers,

John