Where do you find Background Image URL when build new cache?

WVTim

I am going purely on the premis of windows. Just about any image on the internet if you right click it and look at the properties you will see a section called address/URL. Try it with the Groundspeak logo above. Right click it and look. You will see a complete path that ends usually in a .jpg or .gif filename.

Highlight the entire url starting with the HTTP://

Then right click and select copy or do a <ctrl> c.

Do a right click paste or <ctrl> v to paste it in the url section of the cache page.

That's pretty much it. Remember that sizing does happen so you might get unexpected results.

Have fun!

-HHH :)

Edited by Headhardhat

hard hard hat is correct. You are basically copying the web address onto your cache page.

What I normally do is this:

search for the image that fits my cache page. I do this using Google image.

For example if I want to find a picture of a stump I go to google and type "stump" into the box

and than in the upper left hand corner I hit images.

Once I find the image I right click on it and use "save image as" and copy it onto my computer.

One additional step I do is to add the image to my flickr account which is a free photo sharing/storing website.

Once it is on Flicker I right click the photo and choose "properties". This will give you the location and copy this

address into the background page box.

Typically the smaller the image the better as it will show better as the image is displayed on the outer margins of the cache page.

Here are a few of mine:

GC1M401

GC1KYC

GC1KJWY

Edited by mvb0002

I am going purely on the premis of windows. Just about any image on the internet if you right click it and look at the properties you will see a section called address/URL. Try it with the Groundspeak logo above. Right click it and look. You will see a complete path that ends usually in a .jpg or .gif filename.

Highlight the entire url starting with the HTTP://

Then right click and select copy or do a <ctrl> c.

Do a right click paste or <ctrl> v to paste it in the url section of the cache page.

That's pretty much it. Remember that sizing does happen so you might get unexpected results.

Have fun!

-HHH :rolleyes:

WOAH THERE! BAD ADVICE! THAT IS SERIOUSLY BAD FORM! You are "stealing" somebody else's bandwidth which makes you a thief. What gives you the right to use an image from somebody else's website?

The best thing to do is use PHOTO BUCKET or some such free image storage website. Upload your background image there and record the URL of that image and follow the latter part of the instructions stated. THEN you can feel good about using it as a background image because you actually "own" the bandwidth and the server space.

No, there's no resizing for background images, unless you upload them to the site.

And Rattlebars is correct. Some sites will block your attempts to display images they are hosting. At best, you'll get either nothing, or a message telling you it's not allowed. At worst, you could get an image that calls you a thief, for everyone to see.

I agree with Rattlebars... hotlinking is definitely not good.

Obtaining the image without permission is one thing, and stealing their bandwith to boot..is really not cool.

Also without ultimate control over the image, you run the risk of it being removed/altered.

Imagine you hotlinked to an image of pinecones.... called cones.jpg on some random site and used this for your background image. The webmaster sees that alot of the traffic hits come from geocaching.com, and decides to change the image of pine cones to large breasts, but still calls the file cones.jpg. You would now have that new image displayed as the background on your cache. Not sure how well that would be received.

Please host your own images at photobucket, flikr, imageshack etc, or from your album here on Groundspeak.

WOAH THERE! BAD ADVICE! THAT IS SERIOUSLY BAD FORM! You are "stealing" somebody else's bandwidth which makes you a thief. What gives you the right to use an image from somebody else's website?

The best thing to do is use PHOTO BUCKET or some such free image storage website. Upload your background image there and record the URL of that image and follow the latter part of the instructions stated. THEN you can feel good about using it as a background image because you actually "own" the bandwidth and the server space.

Hold The Phone Here...

I realize I did not go over copyright law here. All I went over was what was asked which is how to put a photo onto a cache page. Don't be getting all high and mighty here. I was showing process and that's it.

A person should not copy any others work just as much as copy a song, video game or DVD.

-HHH :rolleyes:

Edited by Headhardhat

I agree with Rattlebars... hotlinking is definitely not good.

Obtaining the image without permission is one thing, and stealing their bandwith to boot..is really not cool.

Also without ultimate control over the image, you run the risk of it being removed/altered.

Imagine you hotlinked to an image of pinecones.... called cones.jpg on some random site and used this for your background image. The webmaster sees that alot of the traffic hits come from geocaching.com, and decides to change the image of pine cones to large breasts, but still calls the file cones.jpg. You would now have that new image displayed as the background on your cache. Not sure how well that would be received.

Please host your own images at photobucket, flikr, imageshack etc, or from your album here on Groundspeak.

Bad example, I would receive that quite well! :)

In all seriousness - definitely host the image yourself, whether it be through a image hosting program or your own web space, it will save you from headache in the end.