Cheap car gps

darkserpant

What is the cheapest car gps that you can put coordinates into? My sister just bought a handheld gps and I told her how much easier life was when I go caching I use my Garmin c-550 street pilot to get me to the cache then my delorme pn-40 takes over. Just wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions. Thanks

I bought a Mio C220 C230 for ~$95 which does the trick just fine. It does text-to-speech for street names, which is cool. Only downside I've seen so far is that coordinates are always displayed in decimal degrees (dd.dddddd°) instead of degree/decimal minutes (dd° mm.mmmm') that Geocache uses, although you can input coordinates either way. It also takes a good while to get a signal when you first start it up, anywhere up to ten minutes.

I switch between the Mio and my iPhone for a handheld GPS.

Edited by Eegah

One can get a nuvi 260 widescreen refurb on eBay for $140. Can't beat the price for the features. Text to speech with road names. BIG map screen. Coordinate entry just like here. 39° 41.666' 080° 62.444'. Voices include Jack & Jill American - Daniel & Emily British - Karen & Lee Aussie.

Don't be worried about refurb. What often happens is folks will buy this thing and then try it around town. Of course, YOU are much smarter and more familiar with your home town so your Garmin will want you to go the long way and you know a shortcut. Folks think, "This thing is stupid," and they take it back. Their loss your gain!

What is the cheapest car gps that you can put coordinates into? My sister just bought a handheld gps and I told her how much easier life was when I go caching I use my Garmin c-550 street pilot to get me to the cache then my delorme pn-40 takes over. Just wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions. Thanks

You know you can DL the cache locations right from the Garmin website, its linked to Groundspeak, onto your 550, then when you get close, set the resolution to its max and you can just about stand on top of the cache.