View TB path in Google Maps

Urubu

A small suggestion: How about an option to view TB paths in Google Maps (GM), rather than Google Earth (GE)? Could there be a [View in Google Maps] link on the TB page?

Unlike GE, a GM link doesn't require any extra software download. It also opens much more quickly because there's no new program to run. This option would make the TB pages consistent with the cache pages, which now use GM.

The GM view looks pretty good, because the text of the TB description is visible in the left-hand window. Here's an example. I just saved the GE version of a travel bug's path into a .kmz file and then re-opened it in GM. There might be better choices for colors, sorting, etc. but it looks nice to me.

Two easier ways to view the path in Google Maps:

• Use the View Map link (after the words "Tracking History") from the Travel Bug's page.
    This gives you an embedded map, and cache names will be shown as title text when you mouseover the numbered icons.
  • No need to download and re-upload the KML file, just copy the link and paste that into the Google Maps search box, like this.

Two easier ways to view the path in Google Maps:
  • Use the View Map link (after the words "Tracking History") from the Travel Bug's page.
    This gives you an embedded map, and cache names will be shown as title text when you mouseover the numbered icons.
  • No need to download and re-upload the KML file, just copy the link and paste that into the Google Maps search box, like this.

Thanks, Corey. It's funny how you can look at something hundreds of times and still miss an important detail until someone else points it out. The View Map link is very similar to what I was suggesting... I just hadn't seen it because it's not up in the Options box with View in Google Earth.

On the second point, I was merely trying to give an example of how the feature would look if implemented, not actually suggesting the download/upload procedure to anyone else.